Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley Second Half 2018

snywx

1 hour ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

I would like to thank everyone on this thread for referencing the place of the accident  this morning as the TZ Bridge, which is what it will always be called by 90% of the people in this area despite the stupid politicians forcing a name change down our throats, as if they paid for the bridge out of their own personal accounts.

With that said I hope I'm on the banter thread because I realize that had nothing to do with weather.

24.4 with sleet now. There I covered myself.

9 minutes ago, NorthShoreWx said:

I don't know anyone who takes the Horace Harding Expressway into NYC.

And the TZ will always be the TZ.

Of course every single local news station on TV and radio make sure they always call it the Mario Cuomo Bridge and never refer to it as the TZ bridge anymore. smh

1 hour ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

Of course every single local news station on TV and radio make sure they always call it the Mario Cuomo Bridge and never refer to it as the TZ bridge anymore. smh

whatever.  I dont care about the name so much as being thankful that I no longer have to travel over that old pos bridge.  big improvement even now with only the one span open.

@hudsonvalley21leaving the snow worked like a charm for me this morning cleaning up. The shovel was able to just flip all the ice off thanks to that layer of snow at the bottom keeping the ice from bonding to the surface below. I hope it goes as easily for you too. I guess that’s one plus of having to deal with so many of these type of storms in the 80s, we learned the best ways to deal with them LOL

2 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

@hudsonvalley21leaving the snow worked like a charm for me this morning cleaning up. The shovel was able to just flip all the ice off thanks to that layer of snow at the bottom keeping the ice from bonding to the surface below. I hope it goes as easily for you too. I guess that’s one plus of having to deal with so many of these type of storms in the 80s, we learned the best ways to deal with them LOL

Just got back from New Windsor cleaning up my folks place, it didn’t work quite as good over there as there was less snow so there was some bonding of the ice to the surface below. Still not terrible though. It was easier cleaning the spots that had the snow left than the few spots that they shoveled yesterday. 

Was kinda shocked at how much snow was still left this morning (relative to when we switched to sleet and then rain)...we only got to 36 last night so everything froze solid. Had to send the kids into the one car door i could open so they could push from the inside lol.

26 minutes ago, BxEngine said:

Was kinda shocked at how much snow was still left this morning (relative to when we switched to sleet and then rain)...we only got to 36 last night so everything froze solid. Had to send the kids into the one car door i could open so they could push from the inside lol.

I had frozen doors again this morning, like the fourth time this winter, which also reminds me of winters in the 80s.  How great is keyless entry, frozen locks back in th day were the worst!

6 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

I had frozen doors again this morning, like the fourth time this winter, which also reminds me of winters in the 80s.  How great is keyless entry, frozen locks back in th day were the worst!

I wasnt kidding last month about the wd 40 torch, it works wonders lol

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

Yup worked the same for me too!  We both learned the hard way in the past. Putting down a base coat of calcium chloride works great!

• Like 1

It was snowing pretty hard in NW CT when I was there between 6-7 this evening. Boy did the CT River valley see some ice from yesterdays storm. It sure was pretty to look at but I bet there were some frustrated people in the morning when they walked out to go to work. I know that I slid down my driveway, good thing the car was at the bottom to stop me from sliding right into the street. Ouch. 

What's with all the r**n in the forecast for the next few days? That's ugly...

3 minutes ago, BxEngine said:

Im way too lazy to look, but was it supposed to be that cold this morning? Was quite the slap in the face at 5 am.

My forecast was 13.  The last couple of days have actually been sneakily cold IMO.  Looks like a wet and mild weekend ahead.

17 minutes ago, BxEngine said:

Im way too lazy to look, but was it supposed to be that cold this morning? Was quite the slap in the face at 5 am.

What did you say to your wife this time?  I have no idea what the forecasted low was for this morning, I think I got down to 8 though.  Flurries in the air again right now here.

1 hour ago, IrishRob17 said:

The flurries have developed into steady light snow, nothing measurable yet.

I can't believe I'm going to say this, but today is one of my favorite kind of Winter days.  Cold, but not overly so, light gray overcast skies, and flurries flying.

• Like 2

Anyone else check out Eaglefest in Croton today? The weather held out and I didn't have much on the agenda for the morning, so I went for the first time. What struck me was how of all the raptors being exhibited, the one that least excited me was probably the bald eagles since I see them so often on winter hikes nowadays. Seems like just yesterday it was national news when the first baby eagle was born in the Hudson River watershed after the environmental remediation... now they're almost as ubiquitous as seagulls in some spots. What an awesome effort that was and continues to be. 

• Like 1

Never got above 38 here yesterday and it's 34.7 and of course raining again, talk about frustrating.

As of this morning we still have snow cover, which speaks more to the resilience of encasing snow in a 1/4 inch of ice than the two minor events from Feb 2nd and 7th that dropped 3.8 inches of snow, but this will be officially the last day.

40 days of snow cover so far this winter, 28.6 inches of snow and overall temperatures from December 1 to this point slightly BN means I can't complain to much yet. But when I look at the 15 day I have a lot of complaining to do, but I won't today at least.

• IrishRob17 changed the title to Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley Second Half 2018