Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate/Eastern New York

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think finally the more pure LES is moving east into central Monroe county after being kinda held at bay by the d band over Syracuse. I see snowfall rates increasing. Bigger flakes. When the hvy stuff moves in, the wind kinda dies down, cool stuff. How's everyone else doing? Ya all go to bed after 2 days? LOL. I got a few beers in me and am feeling good. LOL 

3 minutes ago, CNY-WXFREAK said:

Snow has let up considerably but there usually is a lull between the synoptic and LE so now we wait for the second part of the event!

That's what ive been dealing with for 6 hrs. I think your wait should be shorter. I swear. North Rochester was between the two things since 5pm. Hvy stuff in Syr with synoptic and hvy stuff in Buf with LES. With flurries and wind over me. It still looks touch and go. But i gotta think all those hvy returns on west half of Ontario have to move east. Unless thats just the radar. but i dont think so. 

13 minutes ago, Syrmax said:

Here is the best AFD I've ever heard from Upton NY:

All Winter Weather Products have been cancelled.

Still gives me chills from earlier today.  God, I Love it so.

Haha. After NYC winning so much, it is great to see them crash and burn. Can You imagine? Blizzard warnings in places that literally have 0 snow on the ground. Crazy. Funny. Hey, there was a guy who saw it on twitter:  cranky weather guy. He is amazing. Doesn't even really look at models, just the dynamics and makes his predictions. I swear, he has beat the euro and the gfs many times this year. Check him out. 

Just need the winds to veer a bit more nW and the South Shore should light up all the way to KSYR.  KBGM has winds progged at 290-300 which is a single band flow so that's a bit skeptical to me as I think its gonna be more like the November event around here so we'll see.  The snow growth is practically to ground lvl so literally any cloud should produce snow. Should be a fun day!

6 minutes ago, rochesterdave said:

Haha. After NYC winning so much, it is great to see them crash and burn. Can You imagine? Blizzard warnings in places that literally have 0 snow on the ground. Crazy. Funny. Hey, there was a guy who saw it on twitter:  cranky weather guy. He is amazing. Doesn't even really look at models, just the dynamics and makes his predictions. I swear, he has beat the euro and the gfs many times this year. Check him out. 

I will!  In my ne.wx contest I went low from BOS to PHL and DCA  figuring the west trend was real...classic for a truly major storm and not some P.O.S. Benchmark runner that drops 8-12, which weenies inflate to 24".  Hell, most of them down there measure snow depth by the plow piles in the local Dollar store parking lot.  Including the red taggers.

2 minutes ago, Syrmax said:

I will!  In my ne.wx contest I went low from BOS to PHL and DCA  figuring the west trend was real...classic for a truly major storm and not some P.O.S. Benchmark runner that drops 8-12, which weenies inflate to 24".  Hell, most of them down their measure snow depth by the plow piles. Including the red taggers.

Even people around here inflate snow totals. I like a pure measurement. **** snow boards. Go in you backyard after the storm and take a few measurements and average them and be honest. That's how its been done. I hate a wet snowstorm when they say you got 16" but in the grass there is only 6". Come on. The public only understands what the snow is on the ground. Not the 3 hr measurements wiped clean on a cold surface. My 2 cents. 

I got 12" and folks around here are saying 18". Nah, nah, nah. 

No matter what happens for the south shore for the next 24 hrs. Looking back, this was always a central NY storm. The consistency was there. Almost every model had good totals for them. The Roc folks were reaching and picking and choosing models and discounting others. The best teachable moment is def the NYC situation. Lots of indications it could bust. Like Roc was on west side of qpf, NYC was on East side of cold support. I wish i would remember this for the next one. 

Buf got lucky, You got support from old low and LES that started early and stayed strong west of where I thought it would. It was funny, the best scenarios for Roc was if the east coast storm went a bet east or waaaay west. It went west. Cutting off our support from the main dynamics of the storm and also the main dynamics of the original low and resultant early LES. Funny. I thought Roc and Bing were sweet spots. Bing obviously was, but everything was just west enough that a lot of what i thought would happen in Roc happened in Niagara Falls and kbuf. 

We still have opportunity for Surprise bonus LES now that it is moving in. But I wouldn't be surprised if it quickly went NW and gave Syr more. 

40 minutes ago, rochesterdave said:

No matter what happens for the south shore for the next 24 hrs. Looking back, this was always a central NY storm. The consistency was there. Almost every model had good totals for them. The Roc folks were reaching and picking and choosing models and discounting others. The best teachable moment is def the NYC situation. Lots of indications it could bust. Like Roc was on west side of qpf, NYC was on East side of cold support. I wish i would remember this for the next one. 

Buf got lucky, You got support from old low and LES that started early and stayed strong west of where I thought it would. It was funny, the best scenarios for Roc was if the east coast storm went a bet east or waaaay west. It went west. Cutting off our support from the main dynamics of the storm and also the main dynamics of the original low and resultant early LES. Funny. I thought Roc and Bing were sweet spots. Bing obviously was, but everything was just west enough that a lot of what i thought would happen in Roc happened in Niagara Falls and kbuf. 

We still have opportunity for Surprise bonus LES now that it is moving in. But I wouldn't be surprised if it quickly went NW and gave Syr more. 

There's 16 otg at the ROC airport?  

Just got back in from cleaning up outside. 29" on the ground. Got the cars uncovered and took a lap around the neighborhood and up into the 1500ft+ hills along Broome and Tioga line. My town's roads are actually in pretty decent shape. Up the hill had 2ft drifts over the roads in spots. Considering I was 5 when the '93 superstorm came through I would say this storm was the best experience for sure.

8 minutes ago, BGM Blizzard said:

Just got back in from cleaning up outside. 29" on the ground. Got the cars uncovered and took a lap around the neighborhood and up into the 1500ft+ hills along Broome and Tioga line. My town's roads are actually in pretty decent shape. Up the hill had 2ft drifts over the roads in spots. Considering I was 5 when the '93 superstorm came through I would say this storm was the best experience for sure.

You win. Unbelievable. I'm fighting for a foot, maybe 18". 

Mustfeel great

16 minutes ago, BGM Blizzard said:

Nice, it is on par with 1993 for BGM. Great to see!  Of course, (and I apologize for digressing yet again), it's not quite on par with your bargain basement clippers that hit SNE but beggars can't be choosers.  Plenty of red tagger dorks with zits all over their face will tell you that. And lots more being the life coaches they are.  Some have even figured out how to open BUFKIT, so they extra rule.

2 minutes ago, Syrmax said:

Nice, it is on par with 1993 for BGM. Great to see!  Of course, (and I apologize for digressing yet again), it's not quite on par with your bargain basement clippers that hit SNE but beggars can't be choosers.  Plenty of red tagger dorks with zits all over their face will tell you that. And lots more being the life coaches they are.  Some have even figured out how to open BUFKIT, so,they extra rule.

lol nobody like a sore winner.  

Yeah Im just glad it was as powdery as it was. Made clean up lot easier. We are 5 and change short of setting all time single season record but don't think we will get there with what is left for this storm. Maybe this weekend but haven't really looked beyond this current storm yet

Archived