• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate/Eastern New York

1 hour ago, CNY-WXFREAK said:

He's actually gung ho on this one, maybe for that specific reason, that he won't be here,lol.

Exactly! History shows I rarely jackpot. Name a biggie...I was mispositioned for it.  The crowning glory was March '93...entire eastern hemisphere gets crushed (only slightly exaggerating), and I stayed in SECT for it instead of heading to parents in Vestal, near BGM, where they got 30+"...I witnessed about 4" then sleet then rain then mostly dryslot. I blame my then GF who couldn't understand why I would make a trip home for a snowstorm.  She was eventually sent packing, for obvious reasons..,,;) 

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Blizzard watch NYC and alI and southern CT.  Virtually every snowstorm down there comes with Blizzard headlines in last decade. Few have verified (other than on a remote fishing pier sticking out into the ocean)...although the last one did verify broad Blizzard criteria in eastern New England...other than CC where it Mostly rained, IIRC..

It is interesting
to note that an unusually deep dendritic growth zone should also be
in place at this time...with depths exceeding 5k ft versus the
typical 3k ft found in most pure lake effect storms. This will
truly be a hybrid synoptic-lake effect event. Some of the most
impactful storms for the Rochester area have come from such scenario 

3 minutes ago, tim123 said:

Seen storms like this drop a foot of synoptic and a foot of Lake enhanced on roc. 

Ironically enough, at this stage I could see WNY doing better than anyone else in the state outside of maybe Long Island.  Here in ENY right now my biggest concern is getting stuck between the primary, and the secondary developing too far offshore. 

15 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

looking at the bufkit warehouse (cobb method) the 12z Nam had an avg liquid-snow ratio of 19-1 and the gfs was at 21-1..(ksyr)

That's pretty high for synoptic I think, even up here.  The highest ratios in a decent sized synoptic storm that I can remember here was the late January "cold storm" circa 2005...it was an eastern New England blizzard that we ended up with around a foot here despite best forcing and qpf well east of us...but ratios were quite high...temps during storm were in single digits, I think slowly rose to near 10 degrees overnight. 

2 hours ago, wolfie09 said:

It is interesting
to note that an unusually deep dendritic growth zone should also be
in place at this time...with depths exceeding 5k ft versus the
typical 3k ft found in most pure lake effect storms. This will
truly be a hybrid synoptic-lake effect event. Some of the most
impactful storms for the Rochester area have come from such scenario 

Dave you see this from nws in buffalo

Archived