• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Here comes the Clipper - Jan 30-31

michsnowfreak

Clipper looking good tonight. With a fresh 2" already on the ground, it will instantly look like the mid part of winter that it is tomorrow, I may even hit 30" on the season. Just goes to show it hasnt been a bad winter at all in southern MI outside that horrific 2.5 week stretch.

With this being the first classic clipper of the season, it will be interesting to see if past clipper climo holds true and it actually beefs up at the last minute. Track is looking good for us in the Detroit area, however we are now on the northern fringe of the best stuff as opposed to the southern fringe models progged a few days ago. 2-4" with isolated higher amounts a good initial call.

6 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

Clipper looking good tonight. With a fresh 2" already on the ground, it will instantly look like the mid part of winter that it is tomorrow, I may even hit 30" on the season. Just goes to show it hasnt been a bad winter at all in southern MI outside that horrific 2.5 week stretch.

With this being the first classic clipper of the season, it will be interesting to see if past clipper climo holds true and it actually beefs up at the last minute. Track is looking good for us in the Detroit area, however we are now on the northern fringe of the best stuff as opposed to the southern fringe models progged a few days ago. 2-4" with isolated higher amounts a good initial call.

I'm not seeing that, you guys look to be positioned pretty solidly in it's track.    Also I'd be pumped for this hitting low end warning criteria if I were you, with ratios and a period of s+.

Good luck, at least someone is getting something in our sub. ;)

Initial GRR map has mby in the sweet spot. A rarity of late with clippers. Good things going for this imho. Track, baro, moisture perhaps even a little lake boost on the backside. Just nice to not be on the sidelines of a synoptic event. :)  Might even be some jack-zone lollies when all is said and done.

20170130 GRR Snowcast.png

Had around 1/4 to 1/2 inch earlier with the WAA band of this clipper earlier.  Expecting some more snow showers later with the passage of the low but not expecting much accumulation.

Hope this overperforms in Michigan so at least someone can get some quality snows out of it

M1.6 in Marshall in just over an hour. More nice reports out there this eve

NWUS53 KGRR 310116
LSRGRR

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE GRAND RAPIDS MI
816 PM EST MON JAN 30 2017

..TIME...   ...EVENT...      ...CITY LOCATION...     ...LAT.LON...
..DATE...   ....MAG....      ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....
            ..REMARKS..

0739 PM     SNOW             3 W HOWARD CITY         43.40N 85.53W
01/30/2017  M2.0 INCH        MONTCALM           MI   PUBLIC

REPORTED IN 45 MINUTES.

&&

$$

HOVING

4 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

Got 4.5" imby. DTW had 4.3" and Monroe 4.5", though reports of 5" in northern monroe County. Looks like my area was near the jackpot. It is beautiful outside, over 5" on the ground after settling.

Congrats on the shared jack-zones (one for you, one for me) and the lucky thread!

20170131 GRR Storm summary.png

11 minutes ago, RogueWaves said:

Congrats on the shared jack-zones (one for you, one for me) and the lucky thread!

20170131 GRR Storm summary.png

Thanks. The models really honed in at the last moment and performed well. My 4.5" of snow had 0.34" liquid. It appears 5" in northern Monroe county was the jackpot for SE MI but I was definitely close!

2 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

Congrats on the snow guys!  Nice pics as well.  Nice to see snow has greeted some peeps in the sub.

Appreciate your attitude from where you're sitting.  5.3" total here is right up there on the "event leader" score board from what I've seen listed. Marshall's been screwed a ton by clippers in recent years, so this kinda balances things a bit.   ;-)

Archived