Newest Member
    joxey
1.6.17 Snow Event

Ralph Wiggum

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Crushed!! (relatively speaking, lol). Cape May/Wildwood must have mixing issues here because frontogenic lift happens right over them almost and there is decent qpf on sim radar but not much snowfall accum:

namconus_asnow_neus_13.png

namconus_ref_frzn_neus_32.png

Hard to say our county is barely 12km wide so looking at Delaware side of bay it shows a nice max total of 4-5". Not sure how they'd do better. Just a resolution issue. Looking forward to being in rang of the hrrrrrrr model. That should shed light. 

1 minute ago, ChescoPaWxman said:

Be careful folks....it is the NAM it will be too high...also I see a few folks talking up ratios due to low surface temps - remember ratios are not based simply on surface temps. That said there could be some spots with 15:1

There continues to be QPF challenges among the model guidance with this event. Not saying the 00z NAM is 100 percent right, but I would not completely toss it.

2 minutes ago, MGorse said:

There continues to be QPF challenges among the model guidance with this event. Not saying the 00z NAM is 100 percent right, but I would not completely toss it.

Hi Mike!

You will never hear me question a professional like you!  just been NAMed a lot in recent years and have a mistrust of it's output

Paul

20 minutes ago, ChescoPaWxman said:

Hi Mike!

You will never hear me question a professional like you!  just been NAMed a lot in recent years and have a mistrust of it's output

Paul

Understood, however this system has some mesoscale details involved which the NAM should handle better. But we shall see. Maybe it will be actually right this time. :)

Wxsim with 6z GFS/NAM blend for NW Chesco PA

No real changes for tonight's "biggest" snow of the season.

Some Flurries could be around as early as 4pm with light snow by 9pm or so with the 10pm forecast of 27.7 degrees with 0.2" on the ground (10:1 ratios)

1am Moderate Snow temp 25.7 with 0.9" of snow

330am light snow temp 25.0 with 1.0" snow

7am tapering to flurries temp 24.2 with 1.4" of snow

2-4" for Philadelphia with amounts going up S&E is totally a safe call at this point it would seem. I can't see Philadelphia getting in on the action too much this weekend, maybe an inch or 2 at the most with highest amounts S&E. West of the city is probably out for the weekend but everyone gets something overnight at least.

All the positive changes for wave 2 (1st wave faster, stronger s/w, deepening trough faster) get cancelled by the fact it appears that wave will also come through faster.  If it stayed the same timing with those first 3 changes we'd have a decent shot of another few inches at i95 and slight n&w.  At this point the shore is looking at 30 miles or so of getting a pretty decent outcome from Sunday.

Archived