buckeyefan1

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
50 minutes ago, Cold Rain said:

Awesome.

JONATHAN stop wishcasting.... :D

42 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

Lol! True story! Next thing you hear, the 9th storm has an 800 mile south shift and buries the Carolinas!? ;)

Energy was weaaaaaak....you an see it off the coast, if any of that phases, it would be something...but for now, nada! Energy much more south that run though.

15 minutes ago, Jon said:

Energy was weaaaaaak....you an see it off the coast, if any of that phases, it would be something...but for now, nada! Energy much more south that run though.

The end of the run really starts to look interesting, pattern-wise.  If we start seeing consistent moves toward that look, I'm going to have to stop posting wind maps!

1 hour ago, Jon said:

18Z GFS, another run another look at 500mb - feature over Washington State not as strong with energy, dissipates - allows ridge to bild faster on west coast, could be kinda interesting for the 6th..

You're getting real close to winning a minor award. :)

5 minutes ago, packbacker said:

Is good to see the models wanting to somewhat follow MJO composites....ph7 should be ending right around then.

... and then ph 8? Different look? Answer - Maybe ....

bottom line - ph 8 - does not look like it will change that +EPO. Can it overcome the influence? Answer - Maybe ...

22 minutes ago, pcbjr said:

... and then ph 8? Different look? Answer - Maybe ....

bottom line - ph 8 - does not look like it will change that +EPO. Can it overcome the influence? Answer - Maybe ...

We hope :-)

Looked to see if any crappy Nina winters had a moderate amp ph8...both 1999 and 2012 did.  During 2012 RDU had its only snow during that period. 1999 is interesting as it was a blowtorch in phases 6-7 but darn cold in phase 8.  I should send this to JB to help him out.   Of course 78 and 10 analogs were Feb phase 8 periods and were super cold.

199901.phase.90days.gif

IMG_4108.GIF

IMG_4109.GIF

4 minutes ago, packbacker said:

We hope :-)

Looked to see if any crappy Nina winters had a moderate amp ph8...both 1999 and 2012 did.  During 2012 RDU had its only snow during that period. 1999 is interesting as it was a blowtorch in phases 6-7 but darn cold in phase 8.  I should send this to JB to help him out.   Of course 78 and 10 analogs were Feb phase 8 periods and were super cold.

199901.phase.90days.gif

IMG_4108.GIF

IMG_4109.GIF

I'm totally with you. I just get concerned about what that EPO is gonna do to a ph8 trip - one or the other has got to dominate ... I just am not coming up with anything that gives good guidance. So I wonder ....

9 minutes ago, pcbjr said:

I'm totally with you. I just get concerned about what that EPO is gonna do to a ph8 trip - one or the other has got to dominate ... I just am not coming up with anything that gives good guidance. So I wonder ....

With ph8 a PAC low of some sort is favored so it could be -EPO prohibitive, but just depends if the PAC ridge can shove the low far enough west.  But, other forms of blocking could deliver cold so a NAO/AO could build into the EPO domain too, but now I am really wishcasting. Neutral EPO might be OK too.  

IMG_4107.GIF

1 minute ago, pcbjr said:

Agree totally - but on the quoted part, something would have to happen I'm not seeing at least until after the 15th.

Tell me I need new glasses or something ...LOL

Yep, a couple of more weeks is most likely needed.  But days 8-12 look solidly BN, hopefully days 16-25 will also be solidly BN. After that it's March and for my area the average high is 60F so hopefully we torch some again :-)

BTW pack,

I'm working on a project deadline and am just glancing at weather when I break for a sip of coffee - like now. No time to do this myself, now, but for anyone reading this exchange who might not be up to speed - and for educational purposes, do you have a readily available map or two you might post to demonstrate the difference between a +EPO (bad) and a -EPO (good).

Phil

Archived