Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Front End Thump Event 12-17 / 12-18

ChescoWx

32 minutes ago, RedSky said:

Difficult to decide if I want to pull an all nighter or get up early for the snow. Glenn made it more difficult saying there would be two parts to the snow with a lull in-between. I could see the best snow waiting until before the change to mix say 6-9am. Then again the best snow could be over at 7am. It's like the worst possible timing for a snow geek.

This.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/15/2016 at 1:49 PM, RedSky said:

One GFS ensemble has an Eagles snow game repeat, just throwing it out there for the optimistic one in a million crowd. Ok back to tracking for this sucky winter.

Ensemble member e16 for FTW Alex :lol:  ok it's JUST the NAM we need more support never bet the house on the NAM

Already up to 31 on SSW winds. I bet I don't get a below freezing day this week. Yesterday had a midnight high of 40 and tonight will likely soar past 32 in an hour or so. Good luck to you guys up north and inland. My daughter is on a snowboard trip in the Poconos. I hope they get 4-6" fresh snow tomorrow. 

Really not liking the trends here this evening....if you like snow not looking good - if you like ice (I do NOT!) I think we get a very quick transition over from Snow to ZR.....could really be a problem out in the higher ridges here in Western Chesco and Berks counties. Drive carefully early AM tomorrow!

That NAM posted above was kind of bogus with a lot of the ZR counted as snow look at the below this is much more realistic using the Kuchera method - not too much snow below NE PA....I think this is a good representation of where this is going. Snow will be minor....ice could be a problem especially along ridges here in NW Chesco and Berks County0Z NAM 121716.jpg

2 hours ago, RedSky said:

Difficult to decide if I want to pull an all nighter or get up early for the snow. Glenn made it more difficult saying there would be two parts to the snow with a lull in-between. I could see the best snow waiting until before the change to mix say 6-9am. Then again the best snow could be over at 7am. It's like the worst possible timing for a snow geek.

My plan is to sleep from 11 to 3 or 4. While I really enjoy the anticipation and watching things develop/progress, this one is a bit too dicey to pull an all nighter for. Plus I do need some sleep!

6 minutes ago, KamuSnow said:

My plan is to sleep from 11 to 3 or 4. While I really enjoy the anticipation and watching things develop/progress, this one is a bit too dicey to pull an all nighter for. Plus I do need some sleep!

I just pulled a 1.5/2 hr snooze. I'm probably in for the duration (till it turns to rain)...then another quick snooze.

Good amount of unknowns with this unfolding system.  For one thing we got NAM'd and the pivotal maps are unrealistically high, the Kuchera on the other hand is underdone. For another radar and surface observations point to a later start. Always want an early start time or these don't go well.

4 minutes ago, RedSky said:

Good amount of unknowns with this unfolding system.  For one thing we got NAM'd and the pivotal maps are unrealistically high, the Kuchera on the other hand is underdone. For another radar and surface observations point to a later start. Always want an early start time or these don't go well.

A storm delayed is a storm denied.

Not liking how the NWS ice updates are trending

4:05am discussion excerpt:

"One note: we`ve been on the edge to warn portions of southeast

Pennsylvania including Berks County where the heaviest ice
accumulations may occur. For us, it wasn`t a lock to have
widespread one quarter inch of ice accretion so we`ve played the
advisory message consistently. Hopefully the information provided
signals the more serious nature of this event near I-78 this
morning."

StormTotalIceFcst.png

Not gonna happen.  If the snow is short lived and it changes to ZR, during heavy rates the latent heat release will bring the surface above 32 quickly.  Models do not do well in this setup

Most of the time, yes. However as I mentioned several times, the heaviest band will be out by the change to fzra which ended up as heavy snow here then briefly sleet. Also temps are at 22F now with light fzra and sleet mix. NWS now on board for a significant icing potential Bucks County on N and W. With a record breaking 500mb height anomaly advecting cold air into the region, I stated this was unchartered territory and also mentioned the surface wave off the S NJ coast as a player yet you completely disregarded my thoughts and ideas. Enjoy your icing sir...we have a solid 4 hours of this mess remaining here then maybe a brief flip to rain as temps rise over 32 finally.

3 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Most of the time, yes. However as I mentioned several times, the heaviest band will be out by the change to fzra which ended up as heavy snow here then briefly sleet. Also temps are at 22F now with light fzra and sleet mix. NWS now on board for a significant icing potential Bucks County on N and W. With a record breaking 500mb height anomaly advecting cold air into the region, I stated this was unchartered territory and also mentioned the surface wave off the S NJ coast as a player yet you completely disregarded my thoughts and ideas. Enjoy your icing sir.

It's already changing to sleet here and the heavy precip is inbound 

Archived