• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2016-2017 Lake Effect Snow Thread

BuffaloWeather

Here just NW of Grand Rapids, Michigan we had a short but very intense snow shower late last night. Here at my house I recorded 3.5” in just over one hour.  And now have 4.5” on the ground (there is still some melting from the warm ground) that 4.5” is on the grass on the road and drive way there is about 2” with some ice and slush. The temperature here is now at 28°

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, London snowsquall said:

Looks like we have the central and western parts covered.   As always with the bands,   exactly where they set up or where (or if) a dominant band sets up shop is the million dollar question.  Warning now in place for anywhere between 30-50+cms.  Getting the grass covered would be a good start........

Seems we couldn't even manage the good start and have yet to whiten the grass IMBY.  A little bit of a disappointment considering the forecast. Next.      

9 minutes ago, London snowsquall said:

Seems we couldn't even manage the good start and have yet to whiten the grass IMBY.  A little bit of a disappointment considering the forecast. Next.      

East end of the city got a little overnight and has had some snow throughout the morning, but yeah that was pretty dissapointing. At least we're almost bound to get something on Sunday.

Cuyahoga County just issues a LES Warning, effective until tomorrow:

... LAKE EFFECT SNOW WARNING IN EFFECT UNTIL 10 AM EST SATURDAY... THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN CLEVELAND HAS ISSUED A LAKE EFFECT SNOW WARNING... WHICH IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 10 AM EST SATURDAY. THE LAKE EFFECT SNOW ADVISORY IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT. * ACCUMULATIONS... TOTAL ACCUMULATIONS OF 4 TO 12 INCHES THROUGH TONIGHT... WITH THE HIGHEST AMOUNTS ACROSS THE EASTERN SUBURBS. * TIMING... SNOW WILL CONTINUE ACROSS EASTERN CUYAHOGA COUNTY THROUGH THE EVENING. SNOW SHOWERS WILL INCREASE LATER THIS EVENING ACROSS THE REMAINDER OF THE COUNTY. THE SNOW SHOWERS WILL CONTINUE OVERNIGHT BEFORE STARTING TO SHIFT OUT OF THE COUNTY BY EARLY SATURDAY. * IMPACTS... LAKE EFFECT SNOW AND SNOW SQUALLS WILL LEAD TO RAPID ACCUMULATIONS OF SNOW AND VERY POOR VISIBILITIES AT TIMES. HAZARDOUS TRAVEL CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED. * WINDS... WEST 10 TO 20 MPH. * TEMPERATURES... DROPPING INTO THE TEENS TONIGHT. WIND CHILL VALUES POSSIBLY DIPPING INTO THE SINGLE DIGITS TONIGHT. PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS... A LAKE EFFECT SNOW WARNING IS ISSUED WHEN HEAVY LAKE EFFECT SNOW IS EXPECTED OR OCCURRING. DURING LAKE EFFECT SNOW... THE WEATHER CAN VARY FROM BANDS OF LOCALLY HEAVY SNOW TO DRY WEATHER JUST A FEW MILES AWAY. VISIBILITIES CAN VARY GREATLY AND CAN DROP TO NEAR ZERO IN THE HEAVIER LAKE EFFECT SNOW BANDS. IF YOU WILL BE TRAVELING IN THE WARNED AREA BE PREPARED FOR RAPID CHANGES IN WEATHER... VISIBILITY AND ROAD CONDITIONS. LOCAL TRAVEL RESTRICTIONS MAY BE IN EFFECT

6 hours ago, Willh said:

They really botched this forecast tonight. I almost got stuck. They were forecasting 2-4 inches tonight in Calumet...

Massive band of intense snow suddenly started right around 6pm. It's midnight now and we have picked up at least 15+ inches of new snow in the past 6 hours and it's still coming down hard. The roads are horrible.

Got at least 30 inches so far for the whole event.

Congrats. You're now officially a yooper! Enjoy and keep the pics and videos coming.

55 minutes ago, josh_4184 said:

Picked up another 6-8 " since yesterday, around 16-18" on the ground. Should pick up another 4-6 today and another 4-6 tomorrow. Great start. Around kalkaska picked up 30-35 in some spots.

Hey Josh, where are you finding the reports from? Locals that live up that way? All the reports I've see so far have been between 12-16 inches with one report of 24 inches just south of Kalkaska this morning. Kalkaska county is my stomping grounds where we do most of our off trail riding at, we'll be up there a week from today if the snow is good but if they have 30"+ it might be worth going up this afternoon to play in it. I'm bet Jonger is up there tearing it all up by now.....

I spoke with my plow guy who said they saw those amounts northwest of Kalkaska, its not a large area maybe a few square miles so please don't expect to hit kalkaska and see 30"+ snow everywhere. Also please keep in mind the snow is pure fluff so while it looks good not ideal for riding especially since we had no base and the ground i s still not frozen yet. Any more discussion should probably be done in the Northwoods thread to keep this thread about LES and not winter sports. I'll keep everyone posted over there going to head out in a bit myself to check out the conditions. 

On 12/4/2016 at 9:02 PM, Willh said:

Whoa. Nearby. I'm on 6th street...same street Pat's is on, lol. Have an apt but looking for a house and want to stay in the Calumet area. Love it.

8 hours ago, Willh said:

3am video. Going to bed.

I'd say we got about 30 inches as well - we're right on Calumet Avenue (Highway 41).  I walked out the front door and the snow was up to my waist.  Spent the morning giving the snowblower and shovels quite the workout.  I think we're dug out for the moment.  We went out Friday night (nothing will keep us from our Friday night fish fry!) and the weather was just cranking up when we got home.  It was a pretty daunting sight this morning.

lol @ the APX AFD this afternoon.

LONG TERM...(Tuesday night through Saturday)
Issued at 327 PM EST Sat Dec 10 2016

I don`t think it`s ever going to stop snowing...ever. OK, well that
may be a bit of an overreach, but we are certainly going to lock
into the northern Michigan snowglobe pattern. Timing will have to be
watched the closer we get, but we will cycle between arctic wave
generated system snow, with periods of lake effect snow in between.
That said, the real story in the extended is going to be the coldest
air of the season thus far. There will be days in the offing that
will struggle to warm out of the single digits.  The pendulum has
swung the other way indeed.  Welcome home Old Man winter, we missed
you.

...CATTARAUGUS COUNTY...
   CATTARAUGUS           36.0  1230 PM 12/10  SOCIAL MEDIA
   NAPOLI                34.0   152 PM 12/10  PUBLIC
   PERRYSBURG            30.0   200 PM 12/10  COOP OBSERVER
   ELLICOTTVILLE         30.0   122 PM 12/10  SOCIAL MEDIA
   1 NNE HUMPHREY        24.0   230 PM 12/10  TRAINED SPOTTER
   3 W FRANKLINVILLE     13.5  1044 AM 12/10  3 DAY STORM TOTAL

...CHAUTAUQUA COUNTY...
   2 E SINCLAIRVILLE     30.0   119 PM 12/10  STORM CHASER
   FINDLEY LAKE          17.8  1200 PM 12/10  PUBLIC

...ERIE COUNTY...
   SPRINGVILLE           36.0  1208 PM 12/10  SOCIAL MEDIA 
   EAST CONCORD          33.0   200 PM 12/10  TRAINED SPOTTER
   SARDINIA              20.5  1115 AM 12/10  TRAINED SPOTTER
25 min (18.5 mi) via US-219 N   :weep:

https://www.google.com/maps/vt/data=RfCSdfNZ0LFPrHSm0ublXdzhdrDFhtmHhN1u-gM,dXRXt0O6oMeph_1fK6WiKA1Ik4Yuk9K3ak6ATZOmQbkeiq9YHaD4cLhGD40BgxIhYOFo0ZNm8i0UZTZ6GjeFr5Gk2WxJMZuuI_MnsqQtq23fth8jd29fOCFu5JZSa_5JC-ba73EXqpklFmw3RFDqQnhPbHa08ZQun6z0Aojw1-M_Bs5o-jpYuovBtYitkLq3avh-vF4uUdA7uQAzD785qNoH36GEZFQ,KsbjKoeGVf4S0xLSgFfRnO64A2zL7XfmqoeL357X5ECWPxBZm3ELzy23f7On5dFiBeItO48U0Huwyvch3xUCg73i_9AccwP2lb8ex_yVX7kGaRNpoCwcbTMjJeRlFVL4TPtKI98illTwTrlLDypX86Q3Isj81JUiO0hRB5XXMBIJ-8m7tSHhSsRmcTfIR2cucMI4RGsJ-F0uGqILOk121DB0cidoAAxXZL35i2LLkcOa6ZW-3aSild7AI2eTJY4OIKItfr6o_8JcHefMKLhqWW5SclWERnzszUU4KERBoNbIS3avv_-6yWV-l8CZreWBTZSTQbKQpuWzATmh4q7UwTetfUouCG6VycSTmT2XJR-kKNczK1VmYJ9jpeznn2nUb5TqZygDTIoLy2pkO01gpzdPePjOpjAE3ACmKS8Iwb7Ciw?scale=1&h=200&w=632

8 hours ago, josh_4184 said:

Picked up another 6-8 " since yesterday, around 16-18" on the ground. Should pick up another 4-6 today and another 4-6 tomorrow. Great start. Around kalkaska picked up 30-35 in some spots.

Nice event for you Josh, I think lakes fire back up later next week. W/NW flow and great pics Will.

16 minutes ago, on_wx said:

Not sure how much lake effect we've picked up since Thursday, but it's been snowing quite a bit. Looks like at least 1-1.5 feet.

Congrats on the snow.  I thought at one point you were moving to London?   You are in a better spot for LES in Stratford than here as you are really influenced by westerly winds which are much more common than a precise NW wind needed here.   Just got the lawn covered here as the LES earlier in the week in the west end was basically non-existent.   

36 minutes ago, London snowsquall said:

Congrats on the snow.  I thought at one point you were moving to London?   You are in a better spot for LES in Stratford than here as you are really influenced by westerly winds which are much more common than a precise NW wind needed here.   Just got the lawn covered here as the LES earlier in the week in the west end was basically non-existent.   

London was the plan, but I ended up in Orangeville and now bouncing between KW and Stratford. Wouldn't mind living here permanently

Too bad London missed out, but there is a mega squall out there with your name on it. Can't remember if Stratford gets big stationary squalls like London can get

22 hours ago, blackrock said:

Wow, nice snow in Hamburg!

Only a few inches here, the best was south of here. We went chasing and got some good pics/vids of the powder.

My and my chasing buddy went chasing last night from Village of Hamburg through Springville to North Collins and back to Cassadaga. Springville had the most snow by far with 3 feet+, Cassadaga had over 2'. Here is a few pics and videos of the snow depth.

D0Teoqw.jpg

fWfS8eP.jpg

12 hours ago, Willh said:

I guess now is as good a time as any to give a summary of the past week les event/system snow. Since Tuesday it's fairly safe to say that we picked up in excess of 50-55" of snow. It could be more than that.

Either way - I'm happy.

Wait until the wind picks up Wed-Thurs! All that powder will drift nicely:)

Archived