joxey
Pittsburgh PA Winter 2016-2017

north pgh

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Mailman said:

"We're due."

Unless you leech off your relatives and don't own anything but a late 90's Cavalier, I dunno why you'd be giddy at all about a repeat of that event. It's not very fun when your roof collapses and then your basement floods a week later, but to each their own I guess.

1 minute ago, snowsux said:

Unless you leech off your relatives and don't own anything but a late 90's Cavalier, I dunno why you'd be giddy at all about a repeat of that event. It's not very fun when your roof collapses and then your basement floods a week later, but to each their own I guess.

I don't think anyone here wishes that on anyone. Just people who get excited over the idea of a lot of snow.

Sorry about your misfortune with that storm

1 minute ago, MikeB_01 said:

I don't think anyone here wishes that on anyone. Just people who get excited over the idea of a lot of snow.

Sorry about your misfortune with that storm

I was 15 when that happened, so I actually thought it was kinda cool. I do remember the lingering mess / mud that lasted well into spring though.

12 hours ago, north pgh said:

Yep. If we can hold this pattern we get a 2-4 exhibition on the Clipper and then move this baby North for Sunday and we have our big one. Of course being cautious as we all know that this only verifies about 10% of the time for our area. haha

So right this was. Not even 10%.

As usual a good day of models immediately shifts to bad.

6 minutes ago, MikeB_01 said:

gem_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_22.png

Speaking of squashed into oblivion. CMC is well...

Still time but a PV in Maine probably won't work for us. Maybe there is some northern energy not shown that phases in. Who knows but suppression depression is the issue at hand right now. 

22 minutes ago, Rd9108 said:

I also decided to look back at the January threat and it had the same thing a huge hit for us then the next went south. This was a huge mid atlantic hit but then it just kept going south. Just doesn't make any sense. 

This has happened to us before in March. A strong arctic air mass bearing down on the NE isn't a very good setup with these systems that come out of the PAC NW. The precip will more or less ride that frontal boundary. If it passes on Friday (which it's forecast to do), we'll get more out of that first wave of energy than with the 2nd, bigger one.

5 hours ago, Mailman said:

Euro is a miss on both waves.  Heh.

No surprise there, its been trending further South and weaker, here is an animation I found at the PhillyWx forum showing the GFS precip fields:

IMG_2618.GIF

6z GFS still looks decent for the first wave but its concerning none of the other models really show this:

gfs_asnow_us_16.png

5 hours ago, Mailman said:

Euro is a miss on both waves.  Heh.

No surprise there, its been trending further South and weaker, here is an animation I found at the PhillyWx forum showing the GFS precip fields:

IMG_2618.GIF

6z GFS still looks decent for the first wave but its concerning none of the other models really show this:

gfs_asnow_us_16.png

30 minutes ago, colonel717 said:

NAM looks juicy but warm tongue death?

58bec71931252_3-7-20179-43-23AM.thumb.pn

Not every wave is gonna hit us. The further north wave 1 is the more likely wave 2 will come further north. Funny how Josh on usa is all happy now that the NAM is north again. 

Archived