• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate NY/North Country + adjacent ON, QC, VT: Fall into Winter!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm on the board a few days ago and everyone's talking about how this winter is gonna be a dud and not going to get started until at least middle of December and today I come on and see model runs of 27 inches of snow in Buffalo in the next 6-7 days. What the heck happened (not that I'm complaining) ?!? Great, now I'll be up till at least midnight tonight watching model runs. Ah back to the winter season..! How sweet it is :)

18Z GFS looked good again for some wraparound and lake enhancement Sunday night and Monday. Not an expert so not really sure how much Lake Ontario can add but RH and wind alignment looked real good. Need to get that deformation a bit further west. Starting to get a bit interested in this one.

2 hours ago, Buffalo Bumble said:

18Z GFS looks like a pedestrian cold FROPA with some backside snow showers.  Kind of what I would expect for this time of year.  Color me skeptical for any kind of big event this weekend, especially anywhere except higher elevations.  

Yeah.. I don't buy in to anything more than a slushy inch for the lower elevations and maybe Perrysburg squeaks out 6" on a ridge top...Next please.

15 minutes ago, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

The locals are really pushing the envelope putting up accumulation forecasts already...

0916a1a088000c85374280cb6d8fcbf3.jpg

e61dca0981c4932f94a7e4ae1df4254a.jpg

5e1f67c4132c065a01a3e5ef84646a1f.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To be fair channel 4 said that it was just one model output and what could possibly fall worst case scenario and not an actual forecast or likely amounts. But I agree it's ridiculous this early to put out a map for an event 4-5 days away to the public who sees something and runs with it. I had people at my work in Hamburg today telling me "oh did you hear we're supposed to get a snowstorm this weekend? We re supposed to get 6-12" according to the news." They're all way overdone and too Bullish. T-1 " below 800ft. 1-2" between 800-1200ft and 2-4" above 1200ft with an isolated 6" lolli above 1800'. For this time of the year it's not even note worthy. I don't know what all the hoopla is about. I swear the media gets worse and worse each winter when it comes to snowfall, especially the first ones of the year. There's a problem when I turn the news on and the lead headline and story is the possibility for significant snow 4-5 days from now that is likely almost a non event for the majority of the population in WNY. For crying out loud it's almost December, not October.

With social media today this is the problem. The locals can't plaster these maps on their page so carelessly anymore. The general public is getting all riled up with this big storm that is now starting to dud out. Don Paul had a nice post somewhat scolding them saying its just to early to issue public forecasts for this event.

35c97c4923d3a629f7577a170385fb99.png

After Snovember the general public is gun shy on storm forecasts and it seems like the media just wants to be the first to forecast it even if it's unreliable data at the time. Not to mention these local mets are just spewing non sense and lies to the public. I just watched a Facebook live from Kevin OC. "We use the Euro and NAM because they are the only 2 models that project beyond 48 hours". "I'm confident this will be a mild winter and we will not come anywhere near our seasonal average snowfall". Why do they say this stuff!?!?! And they wonder why the public rags on them and has trust issues with their forecasts. Funny how the NWS took so much heat after Snovember yet they are the responsible ones so far just saying there will be an abrupt weather change this weekend, it's going to snow on Sunday, but it's to early to tell where and how much. No need to hype that's all the public needs to know at this point.

The long range looks terrible for lake effect IMO. The Polar vortex is on the other side of the globe and looks to continue to strengthen throughout the winter which would make consistent arctic air almost impossible to come by. If we don't cash in on the -AO and - NAO from December into Mid January we're going to have a terrible winter I think. Could be one of the worst lake effect seasons in awhile. The Pacific dominated flow is just stubborn and hasn't moved at all in forever. Remember 11-12 season with that stubborn polar vortex and 40" of snow for the year? We need that thing to move, Canada is just a constant blowtorch with 10-15+ above normal temps. This pattern has looked like this for the last year.

gfs-ens_z500a_namer_36.png

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/ecmwf-ens/2016111612/ecmwf-ens_z500a_namer_11.png

3 minutes ago, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

With social media today this is the problem. The locals can't plaster these maps on their page so carelessly anymore. The general public is getting all riled up with this big storm that is now starting to dud out. Don Paul had a nice post somewhat scolding them saying its just to early to issue public forecasts for this event.

After Snovember the general public is gun shy on storm forecasts and it seems like the media just wants to be the first to forecast it even if it's unreliable data at the time. Not to mention these local mets are just spewing non sense and lies to the public. I just watched a Facebook live from Kevin OC. "We use the Euro and NAM because they are the only 2 models that project beyond 48 hours". "I'm confident this will be a mild winter and we will not come anywhere near our seasonal average snowfall". Why do they say this stuff!?!?! And they wonder why the public rags on them and has trust issues with their forecasts. Funny how the NWS took so much heat after Snovember yet they are the responsible ones so far just saying there will be an abrupt weather change this weekend, it's going to snow on Sunday, but it's to early to tell where and how much. No need to hype that's all the public needs to know at this point.

They should never be posting snow maps a week ahead of time. I don't know what changed in them this year or just excited about winter or something. But they should not be posting GFS/Euro 184 hour snowfall maps...Only us weenies on this forum are allowed to do that. ^_^

5 minutes ago, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

Kevin isn't even a degreed Meteorologist. He has a Bachelors degree in political science. I don't even watch channel 2 for that sole reason. I cannot wait until he retires and a real Met is put in his place.

I also wanted to point out how I think Canadian snow cover is more important than Siberian snow cover for the Great Lakes. We're at record low snow cover in Canada this year. Siberia is record high snow cover. Since we have neutral Enso conditions whatever happens this winter will determine where snow cover is more important in having a good winter.

1957v1_20161115-NovermberSnowCover.png

Channel 4 just put out their actual forecast map (which they shouldn't even be doing either at this time) and it at least looks far more reasonable with a slushy 1-2 inches in the metro area, Southtowns,and lower elevations of Chautauqua county with even less north of the northtowns, 2-4" from Boston and Colden through Springville and into Wyoming county with the majority of Cattaragus, Allegany and the interior part of Chautauqua county seeing 3-6". Still think it's too early to know for sure if this will be a minor or more moderate event but at this point I'd lean more towards minor. Still a couple more days for things to change in modeling though before we really lock in on a solution.

Archived