Matthew

NWNC2015

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Time: 13:20:30Z
Coordinates: 14.900N 59.833W
Acft. Static Air Press: 959.2 mb
Acft. Geopotential Hgt: 447 m (1,467 ft)
Extrap. Sfc. Press: 1009.7 mb (29.82 inHg)
Flt. Lvl. Wind (30s): From 112° at 62 kts (From the ESE at 71.3 mph)
Air Temp: 21.9°C (71.4°F)
Dew Pt: 15.8°C (60.4°F)
Peak (10s) Flt. Lvl. Wind: 64 kts (73.6 mph)
SFMR Peak (10s) Sfc. Wind: 52 kts (59.8 mph)
SFMR Rain Rate: 10 mm/hr (0.39 in/hr)

I have never seen an invest listed with 60mph winds before on weather underground. 

Dr. Jeff Masters , Director of Meteorology (Admin) 

1:42 PM GMT on September 28, 2016

SFMR winds of 52 kt (60 mph) at the surface in this leg surface were the greatest with a SFMR quality control flag of zero.
This is still not a TS, though. I haven't seen winds much higher than this without a closed circulation being present.

Dr. M.

1 hour ago, NWNC2015 said:

Reminder from last year. Nothing is set in stone.

JoaquinImageC093015-jpg.jpg

LOL...yep, that was supposed to be Sandy part 2.  The ULL in the southeast actually kicked Joaquin OTS instead of pulling it back in.  

If this does ride up the sw atlantic and that ridge in the NE is there this thing will be crawling.

gfs-ens_z500a_namer_32.png

1 hour ago, Hoth said:

We have TS Matthew as of 11

Still...i don't think I've ever seen a purely tropical system go from   from an unclassified system to an initial intensity of 60mph. I'm sure non tropical systems that evolved to a tropical or subtropical system has but not with a system like this. Pretty crazy to me...especially considering how well organized it's been for the last day or two. I realize they had not found a well defined and closed circulation but it's been incredible that such an obviously organized system where tropical storm force winds were already being observed took this long to classify. Plus in terms of on the ground experience, 50mph winds are 50mph winds despite whether there is technically a 100% closed circulation. I don't know, I guess what I'm getting at is I think maybe they should have done it sooner even if it didn't match the strict definition of a closed circulation since the on the ground conditions in the leeward islands would still be very significant regardless and the fact there was a near certainty it would be closed very very soon.

Regardless, looks like a very serious threat for the carribean and  it's interesting to see such an unusually sharp north turn being so far south. The rather unusual track is going to cause  impact in areas that normally they don't see a storm from that direction  which could be even more dangerous for the locals.

btw...guess which ensemble member my inner weenie is rooting for lol

97L_gefs_latest.png

14 minutes ago, NWNC2015 said:

euro folded to the gfs on the turn, more steep less digging south-west into the Caribbean, quicker

Yep, completely folded to the GFS, now running up 75W.  It's about 24 hours slower then the GFS.  Probably split the difference but track will be roughly the same, probably a east coast scraper.

Another recurve OTS cane is in the cards.  What a boring cane season this has been.

5 hours ago, NWNC2015 said:

Reminder from last year. Nothing is set in stone.

JoaquinImageC093015-jpg.jpg

Lmao. That was a disaster. Nhc had the cone going into the Mid Atlantic with basically Sandy part 2.

This storm will probably end up going OTS, but as seen above, anything can happen. Can't forget about the Jamaica, Haiti, Cuba, and Bahamas though. Not looking good.

Archived