CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Matthew

NWNC2015

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So here is the 00Z Euro with our hurricane existing stage right way north.....

Euro 1.png

And here is the 12Z that just ran with a  high blocking the storm.....I would guess if this played out the Euro goes due east from this plot or stalls and the move NW as the blocking high shifts offshore and we get landfall in the Carolinas....crazy change for just 12hrs considering it is the Euro...just shows that this thing is a total crap shoot at this point and you know the NHC sees these runs and think well damn thanks a lot for nothing Euro....luckily they have several days before this thing is a threat to anywhere in the US so hopefully by then the models get a handle on it....

Euro 2.png

I've gotta ask again - with a storm this strong - how much influence does the ridge (or other such dynamics) have on where he ultimately tracks? Do storms this strong "overcome" steering dynamics? I'm at work, on a conference call and can't research; I know the answer, just can't recall it right now.

Some kind response - most appreciated!

1 hour ago, NWNC2015 said:

^ I wouldn't be so bullish to say or even guess it would go north-west into the Carolinas with the ridge that strong to his west...it could just as easily or perhaps even more likely go south-west into Florida's direction. 

I'd be real suspicious of the euro run until it duplicates it a few times. Those runs are like running a winter storm from Miami to a Midwest cutter......hardly believable until more runs can confirm the trend

13 minutes ago, pcbjr said:

I've gotta ask again - with a storm this strong - how much influence does the ridge (or other such dynamics) have on where he ultimately tracks? Do storms this strong "overcome" steering dynamics? I'm at work, on a conference call and can't research; I know the answer, just can't recall it right now.

Some kind response - most appreciated!

major influence still think Joaquin last year.however storms like Isabel who were annular can have minds of their own and "pump the ridge" and create their own environment.matthew isn't even close to that even if he reaches cat5 current appearance says no 

9 minutes ago, NWNC2015 said:

major influence still think Joaquin last year.however storms like Isabel who were annular can have minds of their own and "pump the ridge" and create their own environment.matthew isn't even close to that even if he reaches cat5 current appearance says no 

Thanks - the annular part is what was escaping me - now back to the conference call ...

10 minutes ago, pcbjr said:

NHC forecast discussion is interesting. Not going to paste it or the parts that stand out to me; to save jumping around from web page to web page, if anyone's interested, here's the link:

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/MIATCDAT4+shtml/302051.shtml

Not bashing, but just earlier they said no strengthening forecast for a while.  Next update comes along with that discussion and the Cat4 status.  I guess they are just saying "who knows?".  They note that the modeling is doing horribly with intensification.  Eyewall replacement cycle will get it here eventually, just don't know when.

I know one thing, Jamaica should watch out right now.  They now have their hurricane watches, and I wouldn't want to be anywhere near that place with a potential Cat 4 or stronger storm coming in.

Plane finding 180 mph winds pretty close to the surface, wont take much more to get this to Cat 5.....should see a ERC sometime tonight....then maybe a bigger eye it will weaken some but probably expand its windfield quite a bit.....go from a smaller Cat 4/5 to a bigger Cat 3/4 then watch out Jamaica and Cuba....

5 minutes ago, HKY_WX said:

I wonder if this things will try to tap dance around southern Jamaica like we've seen many major hurricane do in the past. Should be interesting to watch.

Lets hope for their sake it does....gonna have to look but I can remember the last time a Cat 4/5 crossed right over Jamaica.....so far this new GFS run keeping this thing further west right off Florida could be a lot closer to a ENC landfall.....it has that great lakes low much further north this run so thats why its closer....this thing is gonna be a headache for NHC and emergency managers all over the SE coast....

Hurricane Glibert in 1988 nailed Jamaica.....

Archived