Newest Member
    joxey
Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley part II - second half 2016

xram

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, Animal said:

0 z gfs looks like a turd for total qpf.

Snow growth looks pretty uninspiring, so we'll need QPF on our side. The difference between a total fail and a respectable event is a few tenths of an inch of liquid, which is still well within the realm of model error at this point.

It's funny how if you just woke up from a coma and looked at southeast radar, you'd think big ol' nor'easter riding the coast tomorrow.

3 minutes ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

Someone wanna tackle as to why the models are showing rain continuously with these kind of 850 temps? 

The models themselves actually don't differentiate p-types; the graphics sites take the model output and run it through their own algorithms, and it's usually based just on surface temps. That's part of why snowfall maps are so unreliable. 

7 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

The models themselves actually don't differentiate p-types; the graphics sites take the model output and run it through their own algorithms, and it's usually based just on surface temps. That's part of why snowfall maps are so unreliable. 

Well here's what falls over the next 7 days precip wise on the GFS, whether it all falls as snow or not is yet to be seen

IMG_0596.PNG

1 hour ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

Someone wanna tackle as to why the models are showing rain continuously with these kind of 850 temps? 

IMG_0593.PNG

IMG_0594.PNG

Was also wondering why it rains with 0 to -5 850 temps before and after the precip...shoulda had some snow outta that I thought

Edit: I just read what Julian wrote and now I get it, it's in the graphics, not the models

The RGEM is quite a bit wetter for areas west of the Hudson. Seems like there's a little convergence zone that would enhance precip rates for a while early tomorrow morning. That would be nice... we could really use some sort of forcing mechanism to compensate for the fizzling shortwave.

Looking forward for a moment, the upper level flow just gets faster and flatter with each model run for the end of the week. Tonight is probably our last shot at accumulating snow until that SWFE/cutter potential in a week or so.

2p02VIM.png

HRRR is ugly, shows precip rolling in around 1900, you can see it struggle with the dry air, by the time precip ends around 4am, it's been mostly broken snow squalls past EPA and western NY areas, extreme western Orange and Sullivan with elevation does ok, but nothing to crazy

IMG_0602.PNG

Raps a bit wetter and more organized, the lack of accumulation on these snow maps around Eastern Orange and northern rockland are in part due to the graphics spitting out a nearly ALL rain event. I don't buy that, 850s are well below 0 I don't think anyone north of rockland county, especially with elevation, rains much if at allIMG_0603.PNG

I've said it before, but it's hard to look at this and believe that I'll only get like .1" of precip per most guidance. If you look at current WV loops, you can see cold cloud tops being steadily replenished over the primary low. Nothing seems particularly at odds with the models, and RAP mesoanalysis sure enough shows the s/w quickly dampening out, but who knows... maybe that precip shield has enough momentum to get me a couple inches before it dissipates.

6vggrtU.gif

Archived