joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Spring/Summer Mountain/Foothills thread

Met1985

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Boone got nailed this evening around 6:30 pm. Wife and I are here as I am running the Grandfather Mountain Marathon tomorrow. Trees down all over the roads behind king and queen street in Downtown. Limbs are down all over the city limits of Boone. The area up the hill behind downtown seems to have been hit the hardest. I assume straight line but have seen no reports about what happened. 

What a sight up here tonight. 

Boone got nailed this evening around 6:30 pm. Wife and I are here as I am running the Grandfather Mountain Marathon tomorrow. Trees down all over the roads behind king and queen street in Downtown. Limbs are down all over the city limits of Boone. The area up the hill behind downtown seems to have been hit the hardest. I assume straight line but have seen no reports about what happened. 

What a sight up here tonight. 

Isopycnic is up in that are tonight and texted me some photos of some super large trees that were blown down, maybe some straight line winds happened there

We had a very strong storm in McDowell too power was out to 1600 people at one point my power was off for six hourz. Trees were down everywhere I was going down interstate and there was pines snapped like toothpicks every where I suspect straight line winds bad storm to say the least. I don't know about you guys but I'm ready for fall, to dang hot!

Finally some exciting weather! A little fun bit of info I have a friend who lives in the same county I do. He lives up what is called Sunburst or Lake Logan area and I live in Crabtree. He told me his three day total rainfall was about 0.50 inches while my three day rainfall total was almost 3 inches! Crazy with how micro climates work. This is a lot like wintet also because these storms are coming from the Northwest just like upslope snow does. I always leave him in the dust during upslope events just like I did this week. Just interesting little things like that are pretty cool.

Well, if the many recent runs of the GFS are correct, looks like my 10 day hiking trip in Pisgah around Cold Mountain and Black Balsam (starting the 23rd), is going to be quite, quite hot; KAVL is near or over 100 for days on MeteoStar. Watnesville is progged near 90º.

Anyone want to give me some hope all that's wrong (yes - I know - GFS way out there - but it's been running that way for days and I'm trying to figure out gear to take).

3 hours ago, pcbjr said:

Well, if the many recent runs of the GFS are correct, looks like my 10 day hiking trip in Pisgah around Cold Mountain and Black Balsam (starting the 23rd), is going to be quite, quite hot; KAVL is near or over 100 for days on MeteoStar. Watnesville is progged near 90º.

Anyone want to give me some hope all that's wrong (yes - I know - GFS way out there - but it's been running that way for days and I'm trying to figure out gear to take).

Yes that is way off if you have been watching the model performance this summer always go with the 0z run of the GFS...which is consistently been doing better than the 6/12/18z which continues to be wrong showing it way too hot and dry. What's more likely to happen is foothills get toasty (88-92) fairly early in the day then debris clouds in the MTNS spew over the blue ridge and drops them back down to 68 if fully saturated or near 80 if less moisture in the evening.

MTNS make daily runs at 70s/80s depending on elevation...with severe afternoon storms can take you back into the 60s. Be prepared for it being "nippy/cold" with heavy dew/fog if it does storm with a low temp in the 50s/60s possible.

Monkey in the wrench...all I did was glance at the recent 0z GFS which ALSO says watch the Caribbean for a tropical disturbance to come north into Florida...obviously too far out to know the impacts from FL to NC. Could be wedged in light rain for days not showing on radar or flash flooding with a tropical air-mass. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/4/2016 at 11:45 AM, nchighcountrywx said:

Per the mountain folklore... starting counting the morning fogs in August for the number of snows this upcoming winter.

The folklore is to put one bean in the jar for every morning fog in the month of August.

So far we are 5 for 5 as of August 5th!

Glad your back! Stay out of PR bud it's not worth it. Yeah iv heard the same about the folk lore. Looks like we are going to be setting up for a bit of a wet pattern. I'll take it. My home got hit by a crazy little storm yesterday.  We had 1.5 inches of rainfall and littreally 5 miles down the road was nada.

On August 4, 2016 at 11:45 AM, nchighcountrywx said:

Per the mountain folklore... starting counting the morning fogs in August for the number of snows this upcoming winter.

The folklore is to put one bean in the jar for every morning fog in the month of August.

So far we are 5 for 5 as of August 5th!

Hi! 

I know there is a dedicated thread for this but I'm going to post this here because it will significantly affect the mountains if thins setup right. I'm talking about this cutoff low forming in the Gulf or a tropical low forming. Looking at the euro you can see by the 9th winds become favorable for the southwest mountains.  Winds will be coming from the Gulf across Florida and from the Atlantic all aimed at WNC. The 10th looks more south to north oriented but the southern mountains should get hammered I think. The 11th this thing seems to strengthen and so does the winds aloft which come across more SE to NW orientation which is prime for the Lee side of the mountains. Again the 12 is very similar to the 11th. Good orientation for moisture for the SW mountains and the Lee side if the mountains.  The 13th things seem to strengthen a bit more with the low. Pretty good upper level winds and again the orientation is perfect for moisture feed in the SW mountains. The 14th the low gets caught up in the northern stream as it dips a bit. The winds become more S to N oriented and it looks like the piedmont and the middle of the state get the blunt of the winds and probably moisture also but cannot rule out it staying soggy around here also. By the 15th this thing pulls NE and the winds really ramp up along the eastern part of the state through the NE. All in all we need the rain but in doses not all at once. This is exciting for me because this summer has sucked for weather related events.

1 hour ago, Met1985 said:

I know there is a dedicated thread for this but I'm going to post this here because it will significantly affect the mountains if thins setup right. I'm talking about this cutoff low forming in the Gulf or a tropical low forming. Looking at the euro you can see by the 9th winds become favorable for the southwest mountains.  Winds will be coming from the Gulf across Florida and from the Atlantic all aimed at WNC. The 10th looks more south to north oriented but the southern mountains should get hammered I think. The 11th this thing seems to strengthen and so does the winds aloft which come across more SE to NW orientation which is prime for the Lee side of the mountains. Again the 12 is very similar to the 11th. Good orientation for moisture for the SW mountains and the Lee side if the mountains.  The 13th things seem to strengthen a bit more with the low. Pretty good upper level winds and again the orientation is perfect for moisture feed in the SW mountains. The 14th the low gets caught up in the northern stream as it dips a bit. The winds become more S to N oriented and it looks like the piedmont and the middle of the state get the blunt of the winds and probably moisture also but cannot rule out it staying soggy around here also. By the 15th this thing pulls NE and the winds really ramp up along the eastern part of the state through the NE. All in all we need the rain but in doses not all at once. This is exciting for me because this summer has sucked for weather related events.

Good luck up there my friend. Be careful is this all falls into place. It should be interesting for sure for weather junkies like us.

16 minutes ago, Avdave said:

Good luck up there my friend. Be careful is this all falls into place. It should be interesting for sure for weather junkies like us.

Thanks Dave! I'll keep everyone posted. Where I live specifically has done well with rainfall the past couple of weeks but it's so isolated that we really need a large system to affect everyone. 

Archived