Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA - Early/Mid December 2016

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had 0.5" this morning to bring the season total to 24.4".. right on par with the turds of 01-02 and 11-12. The only reason i'll say it's slightly better than 11-12 here is because this one had a better marquee snowstorm (11ish vs 7-8") despite it probably being even warmer than that one with the torchy December. 

Still can't believe some places in the north central aren't out of the single digits.

:thumbsup:

Side note. I can't tell you how many times I've seen this during warm air intrusions. Normally frigid Hazleton running 10 or more degrees above lower elevation areas. At my house for example, 15 miles south and about 800 ft lower, it's 37 degrees...

!PAZ038>040-043-044-047-048-072-081100

...NORTHEAST PENNSYLVANIA...

CITY SKY/WX TMP DP RH WIND PRES REMARKS

HAZLETON CLOUDY 54

SCRANTON CLOUDY 43

Why? Do you think the gates of the Arctic open back up?

Today was beautiful though. We got all the way up to 74 degrees, which was 6 above the forecast for the area.

Seems like a big cool down is typical coming out of super nino winters. Eric Horst has been saying the past week that he wouldn't be surprised to see days with highs in the low 40s (here) at the end of the month and early April. This is what he said today:

Beyond that, I would expect a modest relapse of cooler conditions sometime during the final ten days of March (or first week of April). Most years do feature a cool spell in late March or early April, as low-level winds shift out of the North or East for a few days. Given the board snow cover in eastern Canada and very chilly waters off the New England coast, a period of North/Easterly winds can yield a couple of rudely chilly days with highs only in the low/mid 40s

Seems like a big cool down is typical coming out of super nino winters. Eric Horst has been saying the past week that he wouldn't be surprised to see days with highs in the low 40s (here) at the end of the month and early April. This is what he said today:

Beyond that, I would expect a modest relapse of cooler conditions sometime during the final ten days of March (or first week of April). Most years do feature a cool spell in late March or early April, as low-level winds shift out of the North or East for a few days. Given the board snow cover in eastern Canada and very chilly waters off the New England coast, a period of North/Easterly winds can yield a couple of rudely chilly days with highs only in the low/mid 40s

So you were talking about what seems to happen almost every spring. I thought maybe indications were for a Arctic type scenario. Hopefully, that's not the case, although endless 40 degree damp days in April can get downright depressing.

On to current conditions, looking at the hourly round-up this morning, there's quite a contrast in temperatures around the region. While it's down to 33 in York, it's 52 in Bradford and DuBois. Here at my house it's 35 degrees, but other locations, such as Scranton, are 47.

In the past three days, our monthly temperature departure has gone from 0.0 to +6.4.

Let's see if we can get to today's record high of 68. Also have the record high minimum of 48 in play. Today's low so far is 57...while it will certainly go below that, it will be interesting to see if we can keep the temp above 48 until the climate day ends.

Let's see if we can get to today's record high of 68. Also have the record high minimum of 48 in play. Today's low so far is 57...while it will certainly go below that, it will be interesting to see if we can keep the temp above 48 until the climate day ends.

Clouds and/or elevation I suppose, but my temps so far today show that I'm already beyond your record of 68 (69 here currently), but this morning I fell 10 degrees below your low temp of 57 degrees (we got down to 47).

I know the reasons, but I love the temperature variations throughout the region when we get into these spring and fall warm spells.

Large fire up on the mountain near 322, I can see it from my top floor windows in midtown hbg.

I can see it too from my second floor windows here in Marysville.

Our guys were over there for about 6 hours. Said it was terrible terrain and almost impossible to walk/maneuver.  From what people from Duncannon are saying it was still burning this am as they could see it from 11&15.

After brief rain this am, looks like its gonna be another nice day, maybe not record breaking heat, but pretty nice for sure. 

Archived