joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Potential major winter storm - Feb 24-25 PART II

snowstormcanuck

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah I remember that was a location that was referenced many times with the original GHD storm back in 2011. That ended up boding very well for this area, but just goes to show how different each storm is. Evansville in 2011 with GHD #1 meant 18" here vs nothing to perhaps a few rogue flakes here in 2016. Way tighter cold sector precip corridor with this storm.

Normally this is not a bad track for my area, maybe a touch farther east than ideal. Gut punch to have the brutal cutoff as is progged.

Anyway, things look to be on track with regards to the hi res runs from earlier. Chicago and northern Indiana are locked and loaded, and to think I thought this was an Ohio special for sure a 2 days ago.

Still have a 2-18" spread here lol...but just noise level change in the mean compared to 21z.

You're pretty much locked in at the center point of the band, so at this point it's all about how much of a warning criteria snow you'll receive.  I really can't see your area getting less than 6" no matter how terrible the ratios are.  14-18" isn't out of the realm of possibility, but probably not something you'd expect or forecast.  8-12" is the right forecast for there, with 10-11" looking money.  

Normally this is not a bad track for my area, maybe a touch farther east than ideal. Gut punch to have the brutal cutoff as is progged.

Anyway, things look to be on track with regards to the hi res runs from earlier. Chicago and northern Indiana are locked and loaded, and to think I thought this was an Ohio special for sure a 2 days ago.

I just remember Chicago Storm and other posting updated track locations as the Euro rolled out back in the that time period before many of us had access to the Euro.  Evansville was one of the locations mentioned many times as GHDI approached.

6z NAM has the gradient from hell right over Chicago. 

The changes at the sfc and aloft seem pretty miniscule compared to 00z.  RC mentioned earlier that the 00z NAM sfc track may have been a touch too far west.  Really it's hard to tell at this point whether this is noise that tries to snap back at 12z or a real trend. 

The changes at the sfc and aloft seem pretty miniscule compared to 00z. RC mentioned earlier that the 00z NAM sfc track may have been a touch too far west. Really it's hard to tell at this point whether this is noise that tries to snap back at 12z or a real trend.

What's interesting is the sfc low track if anything is a hair west compared to 00z, but it tightened up the precip shield.

FWIW, it's already precipitating at LAF, a bit ahead of the NAM which didn't have onset until about 40 minutes from now.

Doesn't seem to be doing anything out my window atm, but whatever it was doing, everything is wet.

Edit: my station is reading 33.4 and falling.

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE  

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE INDIANAPOLIS IN  

407 AM EST WED FEB 24 2016  

INZ028-241715-  

/O.UPG.KIND.WS.W.0001.160224T1500Z-160225T1800Z/  

/O.NEW.KIND.BZ.W.0001.160224T1500Z-160225T0600Z/  

WARREN-  

407 AM EST WED FEB 24 2016  

...BLIZZARD WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 10 AM THIS MORNING TO 1 AM EST  

THURSDAY...  

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN INDIANAPOLIS HAS ISSUED A  

BLIZZARD WARNING...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 10 AM THIS MORNING TO  

1 AM EST THURSDAY. THE WINTER STORM WARNING IS NO LONGER IN  

EFFECT.  

* TIMING...ACCUMULATING SNOW SHOULD BEGIN BETWEEN 8 AND 10 AM.  

* WINDS/VISIBILITY...WIND GUSTS OF OVER 35 MPH AND VISIBILITIES  

NEAR ZERO DURING THE HEAVIEST SNOW.  

* SNOW ACCUMULATIONS...6 TO 8 INCHES.  

* MAIN IMPACT...TRAVEL WILL BE EXTREMELY DANGEROUS WITH WHITEOUT  

BLIZZARD CONDITIONS EXPECTED IN BAND OF HEAVY SNOW.  

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...  

A BLIZZARD WARNING MEANS SEVERE WINTER WEATHER CONDITIONS ARE  

EXPECTED OR OCCURRING. FALLING AND BLOWING SNOW WITH STRONG WINDS  

AND POOR VISIBILITIES ARE LIKELY. THIS WILL LEAD TO WHITEOUT  

CONDITIONS...MAKING TRAVEL EXTREMELY DANGEROUS. DO NOT TRAVEL. IF  

YOU MUST TRAVEL...HAVE A WINTER SURVIVAL KIT WITH YOU. IF YOU GET  

STRANDED...STAY WITH YOUR VEHICLE.  

Archived