• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Potential major winter storm - Feb 24-25 PART II

snowstormcanuck

Large dewpoint depression has me more confident that about an inch, maybe 2" north of the 401, falls on Toronto with the initial burst of precip.

The system looks like it's going to occlude quickly enough to prevent a vigorous advection of warm air. Pity there wasn't any, even modest, arctic high pressure to the north. There could have been a more expansive snow shield to the east of the low.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good luck to everyone impacted in the thread tonight - I'm about as fringe as you'll probably find in this entire subforum for the precip cutoff and the prospects don't look good IMBY. Hoping that enough of the glorious white stuff falls east of me to at least induce a snow day @ work. :snowing:

I'm down in Cape Girardeau & will be driving to & working in Perryville tomorrow morning. Driving back to Cape at about noon. It's going to be interesting.

Driving? I have a 4x4 truck. I'll make it. If I see it is too bad I'll just keep my butt home. It has to be pretty bad though. You know how that goes.

I don't know about you, but it's never my own driving abilities that I worry about in MO.  Most folks here seem to be purely petrified when it comes to the thought of driving in/on snow.

Large dewpoint depression has me more confident that about an inch, maybe 2" north of the 401, falls on Toronto with the initial burst of precip.

The system looks like it's going to occlude quickly enough to prevent a vigorous advection of warm air. Pity there wasn't any, even modest, arctic high pressure to the north. There could have been a more expansive snow shield to the east of the low.

Barring any last minute surprises, my prelim call of 1-2" for tomorrow looks on target. The 00z NAM (both 12 km and 4 km) have a healthy defo band of snow on Thursday to the tune of 3-4". The 00z RGEM is more like 1-2". Should be an interesting 48 hours ahead.

Barring any last minute surprises, my prelim call of 1-2" for tomorrow looks on target. The 00z NAM (both 12 km and 4 km) have a healthy defo band of snow on Thursday to the tune of 3-4". The 00z RGEM is more like 1-2". Should be an interesting 48 hours ahead.

Yeah, the deformation zone definitely looks to provide more lucre for us. Finally, the 0z GFS is jumping on board in that regard.

edit: 0z GFS with a more defined defo zone but temps are marginal at best with its further west track.

One thing that is apparent on the runs this evening is that the short range runs are deeper/tucking the sfc low farther west than the globals...hence you see the RAP/HRRR getting the low to around EVV while the other models aren't doing that.

Yeah that's typical. GFS is east of the HRRR/RAP. 

2-3" in my forecast. I'll go with that, hope for more or colder temps. 

For the record the low was south of Memphis the image updated automatically.

Yeah that's typical. GFS is east of the HRRR/RAP. 

2-3" in my forecast. I'll go with that, hope for more or colder temps. 

Typically weight the short range models higher at this point (especially at <12 hours out, and new model runs every hour should capture things better than models run every 6 hours) but I guess we'll see.  This could make more of a difference for areas up north like Chicago proper as to whether it's just a pretty good snowstorm or all-out hammer time.

Archived