• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Models Have Us On Northern Edge Of Snow 3/4/16

bluewave

Wow, GFS is a weenies dream. Snowstorm after snowstorm. No warmup in sight after next week.

Just fixed it. Maine gets hit good but it went a good deal south from last run.

Admitting you have a problem is half the battle :weenie:

The pattern looks very active but it looks terrible for snow in this area. The streak of offshore tracks looks to be over.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

until that WAR relaxes and/or we get some west based blocking, we're toast as far as cold and snow. UKMET has led the way here of late. Euro has been horrible 5-7 days out

Good points above about how a very strong northern jet is throwing a monkey wrench into the Euro long range. A record warm arctic I wonder if it is amping up the northern jet like a La Nina.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Would a record warm arctic be contributing to a stronger northern jet?

It could be a combination of that along with the much warmer waters north of Hawaii than we normally see during

an El Nino. Check out how much warmer those SST's are this week than they were back in 1998 and 1983.

We typically see that warm pool north of Hawaii during La Nina winters.

2016 minus 1998 and 1983

La Nina composite warm waters north of Hawaii

It could be a combination of that along with the much warmer waters north of Hawaii than we normally see during

an El Nino. Check out how much warmer those SST's are this week than they were back in 1998 and 1983.

We typically see that warm pool north of Hawaii during La Nina winters.

2016 minus 1998 and 1983

attachicon.gifSST.gif

La Nina composite warm waters north of Hawaii

attachicon.gifNina.gif

Very interesting, thanks

also just read on Wxbell-Joe D'aleo stating that Hurricane Winston wrecked the progression into MJO phase 8 and instead it stays in warmer phase 7...he holds out hope for March, basing it in part on a -NAO to develop, but good luck with that.

Yes, good luck getting a -NAO anytime soon. What you mentioned, plus it appears we are going into a strong -AMO regime. Look at how severely cold the ssts are in the North Atlantic around Greenland. That is a textbook dipole (+NAO) signature and not even close to the tripole (-NAO) configuration you would want to see.

Yes, good luck getting a -NAO anytime soon. What you mentioned, plus it appears we are going into a strong -AMO regime. Look at how severely cold the ssts are in the North Atlantic around Greenland. That is a textbook dipole signature and not even close to the tripole (-NAO) configuration you would want to see.

I think that cold pool started about 2-3 yrs ago and coincided with the +NAO.  We had a -AMO in the 1980's which likely contributed to the long term positive +NAO seen during that time

Given the unfavorable snow pattern around here, only hope now is for a surprise snow due to right timing that models only sniff out a few days notice. Otherwise, time to move on.

problem is, it's only 2/25-I'd love to skip MArch at this point and go right into spring and baseball season.   Not looking forward to a wet and somewhat mild month

Give it up. Winter has been over for a week now. Ever since that arctic air we had its done now. We could always get a freak snowstorm during March but Arctic air and prolonged winter weather is over. You can feel that spring is transitioning already, just see what happened last night!

I would watch the period from March 7th till the 14th though for a bomb!

March looks to be a colder than average month though!

Give it up. Winter has been over for a week now. Ever since that arctic air we had its done now. We could always get a freak snowstorm during March but Arctic air and prolonged winter weather is over. You can feel that spring is transitioning already, just see what happened last night!

I would watch the period from March 7th till the 14th though for a bomb!

March looks to be a colder than average month though!

Ummm 5" in March 98!!!!!

How much do you want to bet it snows again????

Archived