Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Summer Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley - 2016

snywx

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Walden NY COOP is the closest site I could find to POU that actually had info for the 88-89 season

Looks like total was 5.0" for 88-89, so 6.5" is probably accurate for POU. 15-16 giving 88-89 a run for tis money.

Awesome, thanks so much for posting that. We definitely will be challenging 88-89, but I don't think we'll beat it (unfortunately for the strive for futility campaign). 

Awesome, thanks so much for posting that. We definitely will be challenging 88-89, but I don't think we'll beat it (unfortunately for the strive for futility campaign).

I have found over the years Poughkeepsie to be a terrible station recording snowfall totals, miss minor ones completely, under measure, don't measure or record for days afterward etc. but in an area that is hard to find reliable data you take what you can get. At least their temperature data is accurate.

If anyone has ever looked at the January 1961 temperature data at POU it's quite remarkable. Double digit sub zeros throughout the month with a low of -30. I once heard somewhere that people woke up that morning to gun shot sounds and it turned out to be the sap freezing in some of the maple trees. I can't swear to the legitimacy of that story but it is a good story.

I have found over the years Poughkeepsie to be a terrible station recording snowfall totals, miss minor ones completely, under measure, don't measure or record for days afterward etc. but in an area that is hard to find reliable data you take what you can get. At least their temperature data is accurate.

If anyone has ever looked at the January 1961 temperature data at POU it's quite remarkable. Double digit sub zeros throughout the month with a low of -30. I once heard somewhere that people woke up that morning to gun shot sounds and it turned out to be the sap freezing in some of the maple trees. I can't swear to the legitimacy of that story but it is a good story.

That's an interesting story about the tree sap. I can't say that I've heard of that before. I can say that my house now, which is 150+ years old, really starts "talking" when temps get close to zero and lower, but I'd say this is common in buildings.

Looks like we get a repeat of last week with minor snow followed by ice then squally and tropical rains. Hearing that it could be even more convective up here as well with possible severe just to our south, absolutely insane for late February.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

The storm systems this winter, from a meteorological standpoint, have been fascinating to watch evolve.

12z nam still continues to be 4-6" for much of the LHV

Does any other model support it?

I could see 100% of my YTD with this event if the Nams correct lmao

The RGEM so far seems to have the best handle on temps. Still in the high 20's here while the HRRR and NAM already have us into the mid 30's at this time. With precip moving quickly towards the area, dewpoints in the high teens, and a northerly wind, maybe we'll bust high.

With the way its snowing out there I think there's a decent shot this will be the biggest snowfall of the season to date...

No doubt about it. A nice band setting up from NWNJ right up through Southern Dutchess. Snowing at a nice clip here in Fishkill with big, fat flakes. Roads are wet but grassy surfaces and cars are fully covered. 

• Rjay locked this topic

Archived