Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Summer Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley - 2016

snywx

And as dirty as their snow gets who wants it longer than that anyway, LOL

This is true. As I said when it happened, the blizzard miss would have been much tougher if I wasn't in the hospital that day with pneumonia. At that point, I could have cared less whether it snowed 3' or was 80 degrees. 

Eh, I had snow on the ground for at least two weeks.

@irishrob: Maybe take a drive to LI sometime and check it out, it's not nyc...clean snow

Congrats.

As far as grading the winter, it's confounding to me how two events, no matter how good, can define a winter as an A. There's no way that winter should be defined by 2 days. That would be the equivalent of giving a very cold and snowy winter an F because there was a 4" rainstorm and a 75 degree day.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Eh, I had snow on the ground for at least two weeks.

@irishrob: Maybe take a drive to LI sometime and check it out, it's not nyc...clean snow

You took the bait, buddy. It was a joke. There was a big debate at one point over how dirty the show may or may not get down there. All my relatives down there have shown me clean snow in their yards as I showed them semi green grass this winter.

This is true. As I said when it happened, the blizzard miss would have been much tougher if I wasn't in the hospital that day with pneumonia. At that point, I could have cared less whether it snowed 3' or was 80 degrees.

Congrats.

As far as grading the winter, it's confounding to me how two events, no matter how good, can define a winter as an A. There's no way that winter should be defined by 2 days. That would be the equivalent of giving a very cold and snowy winter an F because there was a 4" rainstorm and a 75 degree day.

Agree.

This winter can't possibly be an A for anyone in the east

Congrats.

And in all honesty, the subzero readings weren't hugely impressive. Yes, it was great to see NYC finally break the streak, but when you present 0F as 17.78C or 255.37K, you realize that it's hardly a worthwhile or significant benchmark. It was only a few degrees colder than the metro/coast got on several occasions last winter, and probably less anomalous than the interior saw on a dozen different dates. The story isn't about the cold weather, which was short-lived and bookended by far more typical warmth, but rather about having briefly crossed an arbitrary threshold. Maybe I'm just bitter...

Congrats.

Stated perfectly, and I agree 100%. Third worst winter of my lifetime, all within the last 20 years.

And in all honesty, the subzero readings weren't hugely impressive. Yes, it was great to see NYC finally break the streak, but when you present 0F as 17.78C or 255.37K, you realize that it's hardly a worthwhile or significant benchmark. It was only a few degrees colder than the metro/coast got on several occasions last winter, and probably less anomalous than the interior saw on a dozen different dates. The story isn't about the cold weather, which was short-lived and bookended by far more typical warmth, but rather about having briefly crossed an arbitrary threshold. Maybe I'm just bitter...

Ha, I love the arbitrary -17.78 C! I wouldn't say it's bitterness for most of us, at least not me. I'd be bitter if NYC had the equivalent of Boston last year and we still got shutout. Missing one big storm isn't that atypical around these parts. As we've said a bunch of times, that has become par for the course. I don't even mind the warmth. I would just have liked a couple of these threats to have worked out to the point where it was more than 1-2" of snow. I can't even remember the last storm we had that was 10" or more. I really wanted to get out on the snowshoes at least once, but that hope is quickly fading away.

Ha, I love the arbitrary -17.78 C! I wouldn't say it's bitterness for most of us, at least not me. I'd be bitter if NYC had the equivalent of Boston last year and we still got shutout. Missing one big storm isn't that atypical around these parts. As we've said a bunch of times, that has become par for the course. I don't even mind the warmth. I would just have liked a couple of these threats to have worked out to the point where it was more than 1-2" of snow. I can't even remember the last storm we had that was 10" or more. I really wanted to get out on the snowshoes at least once, but that hope is quickly fading away.

Whoops, missed the negative sign there. That's what I get for trying to be clever.

The last 10"+ snowfall would have been the pre-Thanksgiving 2014 storm (and just barely) - it feels like it's been forever. I'm happy for the NYC crowd (and sympathetic to the long-range forecasters, who now have to try and account for this bizarre winter when balancing El Nino prospects) but as you said, a consolation prize around here would be nice.

Has anyone ever seen a severe threat around here in late February?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I searched this database for Dutchess and there have been around 400 thunderstorm wind reports and 140 hail reports since 1950 and none have occurred in February. http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/stormevents/

This SPC site seems to indicate an average of 1 wind event in the KENX radar area each February (if I'm reading it correctly). http://www.spc.noaa.gov/climo/online/rda/ENX.html

DC is in a 10 percent risk for a tornado today and the historical probability for this day is <0.1 percent, so clearly a very unusual day. 

Whoops, missed the negative sign there. That's what I get for trying to be clever.

The last 10"+ snowfall would have been the pre-Thanksgiving 2014 storm (and just barely) - it feels like it's been forever. I'm happy for the NYC crowd (and sympathetic to the long-range forecasters, who now have to try and account for this bizarre winter when balancing El Nino prospects) but as you said, a consolation prize around here would be nice.

I loved that pre Thanksgiving day 2014 snow storm. Got the Christmas stuff out two days before and Thanksgiving Day morning looked like a hallmark Christmas card. Heavy wet snow that stuck to everything.

Before that the Valentines Day 2014 storm would be the last double digit storm I remember in the HV. IMBY we got 10 inches from the front end of that storm and 11 inches from the back end for a 21 inch total. That storm was a nice over achiever. A phrase I have not used once regarding any stroms this winter.

• Rjay locked this topic

Archived