• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Sunday Severe weather

RyanDe680

Its not a lock for severe locally, but i like the scenario painted by the 12z 4k...

It looks like a decaying line at the mississippi at 12z 18MAY provides an OFB for the 2500 to 3000 CAPE over LOT by 18z to 21z...

Getting a bit bullish for Sunday....and not sleeping on some random action Saturday as well...although not expecting a ton of action there

There's been some weird looking forecast soundings for Sunday the last few days.  Veer-back over much of the instability axis.  If instability can build up enough the strength of the wind fields should organize storms quite nicely.  Gonna be one of those wait and see till the morning of the event kind of deals.  

Models are having issues with developing convection Sunday afternoon south of the IA/MN border, probably due to lack of surface convergence.  Looking like this could be a non-event except for areas north of a MSP to Green Bay line.  

Pretty substantial punch of mid-level dry air over Iowa/Illinois as well. The NAM keeps low level winds fairly backed across C MN, at least more so than the GFS/Euro. Still have my doubts on how this plays out.

Large enhanced area on the new day 2 update.

CURRENTLY...IT SEEMS MOST PROBABLE THAT INSOLATION BENEATH AN
EVOLVING SLOT OF MID-LEVEL DRYING/SUBSIDENCE WILL CONTRIBUTE TO A
CORRIDOR OF ENHANCED SEVERE WEATHER POTENTIAL BY LATE SUNDAY
AFTERNOON...IF NOT EARLIER. AS FORCING FOR ASCENT ASSOCIATED WITH
THE PIVOTING MID-LEVEL PERTURBATION OVERSPREADS THE SURFACE WIND
SHIFT/DRYLINE...STORM INITIATION SHOULD ENSUE...PERHAPS FIRST ACROSS
EAST CENTRAL AND SOUTHEAST MINNESOTA INTO WESTERN WISCONSIN...BEFORE
ADDITIONAL DEVELOPMENT OCCURS SOUTHWARD ACROSS NORTHWESTERN ILLINOIS
INTO EAST CENTRAL MISSOURI. THIS SEEMS LIKELY TO INCLUDE DISCRETE
SUPERCELLS...CAPABLE OF PRODUCING LARGE HAIL...LOCALLY DAMAGING WIND
GUSTS...AND A FEW TORNADOES. ONE OR TWO STRONG TORNADOES IS
POSSIBLE...PARTICULARLY CLOSER TO THE SURFACE LOW CENTER ACROSS EAST
CENTRAL/SOUTHEAST MINNESOTA INTO WESTERN/CENTRAL WISCONSIN.

Coincides with an enhanced belt of shear on the NAM with a line of broken supercells.

You would think with talk of possible strong tornadoes, they would have added a hatched area as well.

I'm a little surprised by the wording since the NAM is on its own with the enhanced tornado potential. GFS/Euro solution would likely lead to a lower ceiling tomorrow. In my mind, there is still lots of uncertainty with tomorrow's setup.

4km NAM btw...

2vwfuv8.png

I'm a little surprised by the wording since the NAM is on its own with the enhanced tornado potential. GFS/Euro solution would likely lead to a lower ceiling tomorrow. In my mind, there is still lots of uncertainty with tomorrow's setup.

4km NAM btw...

2vwfuv8.png

The GFS and Euro are both have been underdoing instability on all events this year, which will be a huge factor if the NAM is going to be correct.

The GFS and Euro are both have been underdoing instability on all events this year, which will be a huge factor if the NAM is going to be correct.

Not to mention the pronounced backed flow the NAM has been showing. Based on that SPC discussion they seem to be leaning on this type of scenario unfolding.

2n0lg75.jpg

15hjtcz.gif

Not to mention the pronounced backed flow the NAM has been showing. Based on that SPC discussion they seem to be leaning on this type of scenario unfolding.

2n0lg75.jpg

15hjtcz.gif

Yeah the surface wind field of the gfs doesn't make sense which greatly weakens wind shear.

NAM continues to show backed flow along with some higher resolution guidance as compared to the GFS, which obviously increases the low level shear. High res models want to hint at some possibly isolated convection in the late afternoon/evening hours in NW IL.

4km NAM seems bullish on the instability with less convection beforehand allowing less contamination of the lapse rates. Even picking a sounding around the Dixon  area ~00Z on the NAM has over 2000 j/kg of CAPE 200+ helicities in a spot of 50kts of bulk shear. Not anything ridiculous but a good env. nonetheless. I like the low level lapse rates and low LCLs as well, however, the flow begins backing a little starting around 650mb (if you only focus on the NAM), and the runs have been rather consistent with it.

Regardless, it'll be interesting to see how this evolves tomorrow.

Really don't like where today is heading. Once the dry punch moves in winds veer to the SSW and the dew points fall into the 50's. Also think things will get messy quick. Yesterday will likely end up the better tornado day over MN.

Archived