joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Texas/New Mexico/Louisiana/Mexico Obs And Discussion Thread Part 7

wxmx

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like anything north of I20 is really struggling in the DFW area.

That is where models really blew up storms too. The ones south of 20 though are starting to lose some steam. Guess after three good events Mother Nature said not this time.

Well this was a dud.

Yea, there was always a good chance of that for the DFW area. The setup was just kind of sloppy from the synoptic scale on down. That Pacific impulse had pretty bad timing and couldn't over come the cap this morning. Then it looks like there was just enough lingering subsidence behind it to keep things from going off this afternoon. Maybe we will get a surprise late tonight as the cold front overtakes the dryline, the atmosphere sure wasn't worked over this evening :lol:

ETA: The funny thing is that, IMBY, we have gotten 3 rounds of rain today and are over an inch total. 

FWD put out a monthly outlook graphic today and I can't remember them doing that since moving to the area:

Ce_CLouWsAAQxLI.jpg

When you look to the longer range for some clues the current MJO isn't any help, there for a while it looked encouraging but then collapsed into the COD and looks to stay there:

CfAQFPFUIAANJnt.jpg

So where do we go from there? The AAM/GWO is always something to look at and this paper should be of interest to anyone who digs springtime svr wx . It is a short simple read with a ton of great references, some that I've read before and some that I will be reading. They point to GWO Phase 8 - 2 as possibly being the ones to focus on in the the MAMJ time frame. This what I consider the key graphic:

mwr-d-15-0289.1-f5.gif

And what do the models show coming up here as we move towards mid-April and the dates that FWD highlighted:

CfAQUNHUMAADfc0.jpg

and the corresponding teleconnections:

CfAQUOgVIAI_sRO.jpg

The ensembles seem to support this with the Euro being on the slower side of the window and the GFS being on the faster side. Then beyond that, the weeklies seem to support us being wet to the end of April and Texas doesn't do wet April with gentle rain showers. Watching this unfold will at least make the next week of boring nice weather go by faster :lol: Also, flipping through some analogs for this period doesn't seem to help with '98 still being horrible. If you factor in the cold N. Atlantic and ignore everything else, you get some interesting matches but who knows how that will hold up. 

Need 0.02" in April to avoid Feb-Apr 2016 ending up as the driest Feb-Apr period since at least 1931 in Albuquerque.

I have no idea how to guess what will happen during the Monsoon with any skill, but my inclination is August is way overdue to be wet, and July is due to quiet down locally, with September doing whatever it is set to do, probably dry if the La Nina kills East Pacific hurricanes. June is often pretty wet in La Ninas, but the El Nino is likely to still be around atmospherically. 

On a five-year basis August is about as dry as it's ever been (0.9" avg, normal is 1.5"), while July (2.55", normal is 1.35") is about as wet as it's ever been on a five year basis. I lean towards something like for summer in Albuquerque/NM:

H2 June: 0.5" (mild,wet)

July: 1.0" (dry, very hot)

Aug: 2.2" (mild, wet)

Sep: 0.3" (mild, dry)

Hopefully, it would then rain/snow a lot in October. The city tends to be snowy in March (93% chance of snow) if the prior August & October were both wet. 

Nd3WgoX.png

Need 0.02" in April to avoid Feb-Apr 2016 ending up as the driest Feb-Apr period since at least 1931 in Albuquerque.

I have no idea how to guess what will happen during the Monsoon with any skill, but my inclination is August is way overdue to be wet, and July is due to quiet down locally, with September doing whatever it is set to do, probably dry if the La Nina kills East Pacific hurricanes. June is often pretty wet in La Ninas, but the El Nino is likely to still be around atmospherically. 

On a five-year basis August is about as dry as it's ever been (0.9" avg, normal is 1.5"), while July (2.55", normal is 1.35") is about as wet as it's ever been on a five year basis. I lean towards something like for summer in Albuquerque/NM:

H2 June: 0.5" (mild,wet)

July: 1.0" (dry, very hot)

Aug: 2.2" (mild, wet)

Sep: 0.3" (mild, dry)

Hopefully, it would then rain/snow a lot in October. The city tends to be snowy in March (93% chance of snow) if the prior August & October were both wet. 

Nd3WgoX.png

It was a dry March in the SW for sure:

CfH3rdDUsAI1Fdq.jpg

Is it looking cool and wet into early May at times at least in general terms right now? I want to go to the Renaissance Festival this year, but all my April weekends are being taken up by high school journalism events except this weekend. My wife can't take much heat, so want to go when it's hopefully not 85-90ish....

Speaking of the day 5...

Testing: Severe Weather Pattern Projection Based on the Recurring Rossby Wave Train, Bering Sea Rule, and Typhoon Rule. The RRWT oscillation period average is used to project the initial future date that is expected to hold similar weather pattern ingredients as previous oscillation period weather patterns, +/- 3 days. The projections will be maintained once the projection date is ~30 days from realization. Methods used to confirm original projection will consist of modeled BSR(~30 days), current RRWT oscillation period(~30 days), observed BSR(~20 days), modeled TR(~16 days), observed TR(~8 days), and GFS/GEM/EURO model guidance(~3 days).

Archived