• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Texas/New Mexico/Louisiana/Mexico Obs And Discussion Thread Part 7

wxmx

Drier Austin is going to take me some time to get used to.

You moved to the wrong part of the country if you want to see rain all the time. Austin is not in a tropical climate. It will be characterized by higher intensity precipitation events but they are typically more infrequent.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Latest run of the HRRR and 4K NAM are developing heavy rain across DFW well ahead of the main line. 4k NAM has 5"+ across parts of Dallas and Collin County.

Latest runs of HRRR still popping cells over us later this evening around 8 or 9 guess we shall see what happens.

You moved to the wrong part of the country if you want to see rain all the time. Austin is not in a tropical climate. It will be characterized by higher intensity precipitation events but they are typically more infrequent.

This is essentially the dividing line between the more arid and humid parts of Texas, as well as the upland/plains divide in Texas. It explains the large diversity of wildlife and plants/trees, as well as being in Flash Flood Alley. Orographic lifting helps create some of the huge rain events here, but the affects of the Southwestern climate are also felt. We're not El Paso but also not Houston.

Snowed in Albuquerque today, but I don't think it really "stuck" at the airport. It was 55F early in the morning and then fell to the 30s by 3 pm - pretty powerful cold front. Eastern and elevated parts of the city have had two to five inches of snow, but most places just got a dusting. Some places just north of the city actually had their first snow in late October.

Snowed in Albuquerque today, but I don't think it really "stuck" at the airport. It was 55F early in the morning and then fell to the 30s by 3 pm - pretty powerful cold front. Eastern and elevated parts of the city have had two to five inches of snow, but most places just got a dusting. Some places just north of the city actually had their first snow in late October.

Congrats on the event. I'm jelly!

One thing positive I'd like to mention is the NWS' handling of this system - much more professional, they did not overforecast rain this time over AUS and vicinity.

Just to be safe about overnight, I am expecting the front to just blow over, with perhaps just enough rain for a car top coating. Communities farther to the northeast should get strong storms overnight with 2-3 inches of rain.

Congrats on the snow farther north!

As Ntxw has brought up on Storm2k, the current set up/12Z GFS modeled set up for next week is fairly similar to last year's November cold outbreak. The Alaskan ridge was centered along the AK/YK border at 570 while the GFS is putting it in the NE GoA at 570. This set up, if it happens would likely bring down temps in the 20-25 range for lows.

That was a pretty lame event for most of East Texas for all the hype that was given to it for days leading up to the event. I had a hard time believing that a squall line that formed in West Texas and would reach East Texas in the morning hours of mid-November would pack much of a punch. My gut was right. That was one of the lamest tornado watches issued for the area. I think there were maybe 2-3 wind reports in the area? A severe thunderstorm watch would have been just fine, mentioning the possibility of a brief spin-up.

Rainfall totals have been less than the widespread 2-4 inches predicted as well.

I guess the wedgefest out west zapped all the energy out of the system...  :axe:

That was a pretty lame event for most of East Texas for all the hype that was given to it for days leading up to the event. I had a hard time believing that a squall line that formed in West Texas and would reach East Texas in the morning hours of mid-November would pack much of a punch. My gut was right. That was one of the lamest tornado watches issued for the area. I think there were maybe 2-3 wind reports in the area? A severe thunderstorm watch would have been just fine, mentioning the possibility of a brief spin-up.

Rainfall totals have been less than the widespread 2-4 inches predicted as well.

I guess the wedgefest out west zapped all the energy out of the system...  :axe:

I disagree.  the 4AM hanging out in the hall way thing was surreal.  

I don't know if others had loudspeakers, I'd like to know what they were saying.  The echo was so bad it sounded like I was standing at the 54th Parallel in Korea.  

Archived