Newest Member
    joxey
Name that Winter - 500mb Maps

Deck Pic

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Correct!

you can almost suss out the blizzard and the Feb southern stream, and the volatility

GHAAA!!! That seriously was my next guess. But I said I would only guess once.. Truth! That snowy winter of being a first time homeowner.

I'll shut up and go bang my head on my desk

What happened in Feb 1989?

Monster bust in the 2/24/89 storm...forecasted 1-2 feet for the whole I-95 metroplex and only the immediate coast got anything and not a flake in most of the cities except BOS picked up 5-6" of scraps on the northwest side. ACY had aorund 20" I think. I think ORF cleaned up too.

Monster bust in the 2/24/89 storm...forecasted 1-2 feet for the whole I-95 metroplex and only the immediate coast got anything and not a flake in most of the cities except BOS picked up 5-6" of scraps on the northwest side. ACY had aorund 20" I think. I think ORF cleaned up too.

Huge snowstorm for the coast (think Salisbury, MD, Norfolk, VA) that was originally predicted to hit DC too. The low wasn't in a terrible position, but the tight western extent of the precip was missed by many forecasters. 

ORF also had the 15" storm on the 18th.  Huge week for them.

ok...wrong...let me guess again....76-77

nope.....t isn't one from the 70s now that I have guessed those 2.  It isn't from the 80s unless it is 86-87 and it wasn't that cold.  It's not from the 90s.  It is either 02-03 or from the 60s.  But not sure you went back that far....I thought 02-03 looked very close but a little different.

If we're going back to 1960, it is either 60-61, 86-87 or 02-03...that I am sure of..it is one of those 3....it is just a matter of getting which one..

hmmmm....I think the NAO is a little too strong for 02-03 though the PAC looks right, and I think the cold anomaly was further south....leaves 60-61 and 86-87...I don't think 86-87 was that cold..so my final guess is 60-61

nope.....t isn't one from the 70s now that I have guessed those 2.  It isn't from the 80s unless it is 86-87 and it wasn't that cold.  It's not from the 90s.  It is either 02-03 or from the 60s.  But not sure you went back that far....I thought 02-03 looked very close but a little different.

If we're going back to 1960, it is either 60-61, 86-87 or 02-03...that I am sure of..it is one of those 3....it is just a matter of getting which one..

hmmmm....I think the NAO is a little too strong for 02-03 though the PAC looks right, and I think the cold anomaly was further south....leaves 60-61 and 86-87...I don't think 86-87 was that cold..so my final guess is 60-61

60-61 was a bad guess..I forgot the NAO was not that negative....the other 2 are wrong....hmmmm..so much for overconfidence...I guess I give up, but I will try to find it...I'm pretty sure I've seen it before...

Archived