• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Late Weekend Storm Threat

IsentropicLift

not necessarily true. Although temps seem just a bit marginal around nyc we get a pretty good hit. I still think nyc metro could end up with a lot more precip especially if the low closes off on Monday. Obviously SNE is a tad colder and their accumulations are higher but if this trends let's say 100 miles south we can get hammered by moderate snow from Sunday morning till Tuesday morning. Add that up could be over a foot of snow by Tuesday for NYC. I'm hoping that low forms on the frontal boundary and explodes that is the only way we can really get more than 6 inches. Overrunning is great snow but it usually is marginal for these neck of the woods with this setup. I'm betting the low really bombs out and gives us way more than the GFS just depicted. I'm interested in seeing the euro run... Yanksfan u ready for that pro. Pbp?

Any time you have a surface low riding south of a monster high like we have after 90 hours that's a setup for big snows, sometimes the models do not see it this far out but even a weak wave at 500 mb is effective in that setup, a surface reflection makes it even more potent

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any time you have a surface low riding south of a monster high like we have after 90 hours that's a setup for big snows, sometimes the models do not see it this far out but even a weak wave at 500 mb is effective in that setup, a surface reflection makes it even more potent

As I said a few posts ago, I highly doubt that we are even in the same ballpark as the final outcome. And I don't buy the initial shortwave running out ahead of everthing else. It should drop into the trough like what models were showing two days ago.

totally agree with this. Anyone doing the pbp for the ggem? Yanksfan?

ggem is the warmest out of the bunch

another way we could get rain with this setup if it does trend north and we get spotty light precipitation. That would exclude dynamic cooling resulting taint throughout the whole event. I just don't see that at this point. Let's see what the euro says although Saturday's sampling would most likely give us a much better idea of how this will evolve!

another way we could get rain with this setup if it does trend north and we get spotty light precipitation. That would exclude dynamic cooling resulting taint throughout the whole event. I just don't see that at this point. Let's see what the euro says although Saturday's sampling would most likely give us a much better idea of how this will evolve!

Are you talking about the overrunning or the coastal? Overrunning events don't have dynamic cooling. Because it sounds like you're talking about the first s/w trending north, which would be an overrunning event and in that case, it wouldn't only be the spotty precip causing rain. However, with the high pressure pushing South and the AO trending neutral towards negative, I don't see this happening.

Are you talking about the overrunning or the coastal? Overrunning events don't have dynamic cooling. Because it sounds like you're talking about the first s/w trending north, which would be an overrunning event and in that case, it wouldn't only be the spotty precip causing rain. However, with the high pressure pushing South and the AO trending neutral towards negative, I don't see this happening.

if that coastal stays weak and the overrunning trends north it will taint for sure. If it stays put like GFS depicted it should be a 3-6 inch snow with marginal temps (wet snow) if this trends south we can get a major snowstorm with fluffy snow! Right now it's too early to tell.

I don't like that +AO/+PNA combo though it doesn't favor much snow.

AO-/PNA+ would be better. The AO actually dropped a little today, and that was not shown on yesterday's ensemble run. It is still forecast to be positive by the time the event commences, but perhaps weakly positive (< +0.5). An AO+/PNA- would be worse.

AO-/PNA+ would be better. The AO actually dropped a little today, and that was not shown on yesterday's ensemble run. It is still forecast to be positive by the time the event commences, but perhaps weakly positive (< +0.5). An AO+/PNA- would be worse.

It's been trending more towards neutral the last couple of days, though a spike is still indicated.

The EPO is also forecast to be going positive for a short time

ftp://ftp.cdc.noaa.gov/Public/gbates/reforecast2/teleconn/4panel.png

Doubt it will....even with that hp in place there is no denying the north trend this year.

i really dislike these kind of posts, there is no such thing as a north trend, what there is a trend for is lack of blocking and a good high to the north.   look for that instead of some fictional trend.

It's been trending more towards neutral the last couple of days, though a spike is still indicated.

It has.One notable early February storm that had a weakly positive AO and positive PNA was the February 2-5, 1961 storm. There were some differences in the 500 mb pattern for that storm from what is currently forecast on the GEFS and EPS, but there remains a realistic chance of a 6" or greater snowfall, even if a blockbuster event is perhaps a low probability outcome.

Archived