joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 1-2 Winter Event Obs

Ralph Wiggum

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Snowing somewhere between moderately and heavily with 3/8 of a mile visibility.  Have gotten an inch in the last 45 minutes and  have about 1 and 3/8" on the ground now.  Gorgeous out there - no wind and snow is just wet enough to stick to everything.  If we can keep this going for 2-3 more hours, we'll get to 4" or so - radar looks great.  

As of 2 am, we have 2.25" on the ground, meaning we're snowing at almost 1.5" per hour - amazing out there right now.  By the radar, I'm guessing we get one more hour of snow before the changeover - that would get us to at least 3".  

Thanks, guys.  Still snowing at least moderately here - think we'll get to 3" - will likely hit the sack when we changeover to rain, as I want to get a final measurement.  Ray - is that "kosher?"  If one only measured every x hours one could miss the end of the snow and measure a much lower number after a changeover.  I know I could look it up, but I know  you'll know the answer.  :>)

Thanks, guys.  Still snowing at least moderately here - think we'll get to 3" - will likely hit the sack when we changeover to rain, as I want to get a final measurement.  Ray - is that "kosher?"  If one only measured every x hours one could miss the end of the snow and measure a much lower number after a changeover.  I know I could look it up, but I know  you'll know the answer.  :>)

You can measure at any frequency.  The old rules just involved clearing the board no more frequently than every 6 hours.  The new rules say don't clear it any more frequently than 24 hours unless you are a paid observer (i.e. the guys doing the snow measurements for the airports).

ABE appears to be going over to sleet.  RDG is freezing rain.

Sleet line looks to be only 10-15 miles from me judging by that yellow band on the radar - but I'm guessing I'm over 3" now, as it's been ripping since 2 am (had 2.25") and was failling at 1.5" per hour before that.  Going out to measure and shovel at 3 am - don't want to have to shovel after the rain really weighs things down and I don't know if the 3-4" will mostly melt or not while I'm at work.  

Sleet line looks to be only 10-15 miles from me judging by that yellow band on the radar - but I'm guessing I'm over 3" now, as it's been ripping since 2 am (had 2.25") and was failling at 1.5" per hour before that.  Going out to measure and shovel at 3 am - don't want to have to shovel after the rain really weighs things down and I don't know if the 3-4" will mostly melt or not while I'm at work.  

Sleet started mixing in around 3:05 am and I measured 3.3" of snow at that time.  Sleeted for 10-15 min and then went to rain.  Fortunately, I was able to finish shoveling about 10 minutes later.  I'd say I got 1/8" of sleet, so I'll say my grand total was 3.4".  The rain is freezing rain right now, with a temp of 31F - after clearing off my car the rain is freezing to it a bit, but not completely, given how heavily it's falling.  The snowpack on all the streets/sidewalks will actually keep the freezing rain from doing any damage, as it'll just be absorbed by the snowpack.  I imagine by the time they plow, the temps will be 32F or above.  About time to sign off, but given the NWS forecast of 3-4" of snow, I'll take 3.4" and hope for some wrap-around snow as a bonus.  

OBS

Rain & fog

Temp 33.4F

Winds E light

I had woken up about 1 am and it was thumping out there.  Then by about 3 am, there was sleet and a pickup truck plow was scraping a parking lot and you could hear the crunch.   Had a 4-truck plow train with salt come through the main strip about 30 minutes ago. 

Looks like we got about an inch of snow/sleet that is compacted with rain to create a granular slush.

Archived