joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Potential Major East Coast Storm on Saturday Part 2

IsentropicLift

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

for now it seems so - also srefs are close to the va shore, but they also kick SE of benchmark and saw UKIE increments posted in another forum, somewhat similar - just something to watch tonight and tomorrow.. no need to stress..

ukie has been trending west,can't really put it with the gfs/nam yet

The NAM is still in it's LR, so this isn't anything to get too worked up about yet. 

Eventually one camp is going to completely cave to the other, and it seems that it shouldn't be too long from now. 

Why do you say this?  I actually disagree, i think the pattern is progressive enough where the Euro will end up too far west but I also am not buying that the storm will be as far east as the GFS.   why can't a compromise between the two be right?

Not a favorable trend.

Que doorman

You need to look at what's occurring in the models   It's really close to something big here still, just need that phasing/timing aspect and the models tend to waffle back and forth at this range.

If it holds itself to this again tomorrow afternoon, then I'll pay attention.

Why do you say this?  I actually disagree, i think the pattern is progressive enough where the Euro will end up too far west but I also am not buying that the storm will be as far east as the GFS.   why can't a compromise between the two be right?

Because thinking like that is simply put, lazy.  What is occurring in the evolution of each model?  Compare it.   Look at what is occurring and analyze it transparently vis-a-vis those same models/runs.

Taking a blend might be an okay approach, but again, based on what.  What's the justification/reasoning?  Which model is handling certain features better?  Etc.

Because thinking like that is simply put, lazy.  What is occurring in the evolution of each model?  Compare it.   Look at what is occurring and analyze it transparently vis-a-vis those same models/runs.

Taking a blend might be an okay approach, but again, based on what.  What's the justification/reasoning?  Which model is handling certain features better?  Etc.

that isn't what you did though.  you posted that one will cave to the other without any reasoning.  in fact, the GFS and NAM handle many of the features differently, although reaching a somewhat similar result. 

Because this isn't a storm where you can have an "up the middle of the spread" approach. This pattern will either allow for a sub 985mb low inside the benchmark, or a weak/strung out storm. 

This was the case on the ECMWF ensembles before the operational model started to trend west. 

Archived