• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 11-12 Snow/Mixed Precip

Hoosier

I'm not much of a model guy, I figure they let me know somethings happening then I start old school now casting 24 hours out with observations and satellite.  The ULL  in the SW has been sitting over the Gulf of California for more than a few days now.  As it ejects it just seems to me it's wound up.  The SE ridge has been fickle this year, far from predictable, aka the Grinch storm.  There's a pattern change taking place, look at the huge slug of moisture barreling in from the eastern Pacific, fast jet, zonal, and warm.  That's probably the precursor to a warm up towards the end of next week.  There's also a strong ridge impinging on the flow over the SE from the western Atlantic that has slowed a lot over the last 48 hours. I'm not gonna invest in the ridge to SE/E being as strong as modeled, I think the flow from the Pacific, the slowing in the Atlantic, doesn't give it much of a chance, or be hard to predict at least. I wouldn't be surprised to see this event be very surprising, overachiever from a snowfall standpoint, and a little more widespread than the models are forecasting, with a thinner but more intense band of ice, possibly significant ice from St. Louis to Dayton..  But once it's passed, torch city by Friday or so next week.  But I'm a tropical guy so winter isn't my element  :poster_oops:

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not much of a model guy, I figure they let me know somethings happening then I start old school now casting 24 hours out with observations and satellite. The ULL in the SW has been sitting over the Gulf of California for more than a few days now. As it ejects it just seems to me it's wound up. The SE ridge has been fickle this year, far from predictable, aka the Grinch storm. There's a pattern change taking place, look at the huge slug of moisture barreling in from the eastern Pacific, fast jet, zonal, and warm. That's probably the precursor to a warm up towards the end of next week. There's also a strong ridge impinging on the flow over the SE from the western Atlantic that has slowed a lot over the last 48 hours. I'm not gonna invest in the ridge to SE/E being as strong as modeled, I think the flow from the Pacific, the slowing in the Atlantic, doesn't give it much of a chance, or be hard to predict at least. I wouldn't be surprised to see this event be very surprising, overachiever from a snowfall standpoint, and a little more widespread than the models are forecasting, with a thinner but more intense band of ice, possibly significant ice from St. Louis to Dayton.. But once it's passed, torch city by Friday or so next week. But I'm a tropical guy so winter isn't my element :poster_oops:

Agree wholeheartedly. But after this next zonal flow I suspect it maybe the last torch( and normal to slightly above for a week is not a torch) for a while. Enjoy the break. February will be nice..for snow lovers. Oh and to stay on topic...going 3.9 for MBY with tomorrow's frontogenic band.

Not saying it will have any bearing on what happens tomorrow but anyone notice temps have sorta unexpectedly been steady or slowly rising this evening? 

That was expected, but not as warm nor as fast I don't think.

Of course, WAA always overachieves in these southerly/SW flow setups (something to also keep in mind).

It's currently 17*F here. The forecast from DTX originally called for temps to rise to 16*F, but it has since been lowered to a steady temp around 13*F.

Agree wholeheartedly. But after this next zonal flow I suspect it maybe the last torch( and normal to slightly above for a week is not a torch) for a while. Enjoy the break. February will be nice..for snow lovers. Oh and to stay on topic...going 3.9 for MBY with tomorrow's frontogenic band.

Deserved, should've posted part of that in another thread.  3 days of 30 degrees is a torch to my virgin winter butt lol. Not my forte but I'm going big IMBY, 1.0 of snow 1.0 of sleet, .25 of ice, 2.0 of snow in that order  :pimp:

You and Gil swingin' long ball. I like it. 

I'm still a bit hesitant on if the band can actually stall or if it's more of a slow northward movement till it reaches it's most north point and then more transient before moving back SE. 

If it can stall though for a 3-4hr period I think totals could near 5" with 1"/hr rates within the heart of it. 

I'll go 2.8" for MBY

Well at least this model doesn't totally shut me out! haha

GGEM came in as far north of the RGEM.

post-7-0-43967000-1420952479.png

Gonna come down to nowcast tomorrow for us on the extreme northern fringes.  Too close to call at this point.  Could be zero flakes, could be 2-3".  RGEM/GEM is our best friend out of all the models at this point.  

It looks like there will be a sucker hole between the fgen band to the north and WAA precip to the south tomorrow evening, most likely within 50 miles or so of the Kankakee.  Remind me not to jump this time tomorrow.  ;)

I'm thinking 3-4" is a good range for down here.  I'm feeling a little more bearish on ratios, since the DGZ is modeled to be pretty thin (~75 mb or less) and the best omega looks to be below it until the tail end of the precip.  I would guess closer to 12:1 or perhaps even slightly lower, though I'm certainly not an expert at ratios.  Counterbalance that with the tendency for fgen bands to overperform and you can turn modeled QPFs generally in the 0.25-0.3" range into 4" with a little bit of luck.

The wild card for NW IN and Chicago will be any light lake-effect.  850 mb temps drop to around -12 C by Monday afternoon/evening per the 4km NAM and other models, which will produce delta T's of 17-18 C (lake surface temps around 40-42 F over open water this evening), but with the dry Arctic air moving in behind the front, inversion heights will be awfully low for anything significant.  Not only that, but with winds backing as the High drifts southward, there'd be little time for a band to organize since the convergence axis will be continually shifting westward.  Could be an inch or so extra in one or two lucky spots but as I just laid out, lots working against anything more than that.

Archived