• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
New Years' Weekend Snow Potential

Rainman

Yup. I think it's a throw away Euro run. I've seen this trick before.

meh, I've also seen where the cutoff energy starts slowing down and digging more and more where it ends up going thru n. Mexico and you end up with a sheared mess off the carolina coast.   The way things have been this year it's really hard to believe in a stronger, more phased solution.   But maybe that's different now that we're in a changed pattern.

• Replies 904
  • Created
  • Last Reply

meh, I've also seen where the cutoff energy starts slowing down and digging more and more where it ends up going thru n. Mexico and you end up with a sheared mess off the carolina coast. The way things have been this year it's really hard to believe in a stronger, more phased solution. But maybe that's different now that we're in a changed pattern.

The parent cutoff digging deeper isn't what is being shown thought so that isn't a relevant comparison to the current run of the Euro.

The parent cutoff digging deeper isn't what is being shown thought so that isn't a relevant comparison to the current run of the Euro.

I know it's not being shown as digging deeper now, but if it hangs back enough and cuts off, it could easily track through southern lala land.  I'm not saying it's likely, but it's probably just as possible as an earlier kick-out with a phased strong storm.

I know it's not being shown as digging deeper now, but if it hangs back enough and cuts off, it could easily track through southern lala land. I'm not saying it's likely, but it's probably just as possible as an earlier kick-out with a phased strong storm.

With a negative PNA and a positive NAO it isn't taking a southern track. Its fine to worry about the system not working out, but at least worry about reasonable things like Ohio getting rain.

A snippet from this morning disco for the system. This afternoon's had the same wording. I'm thinking that this is a ballsy call on precip type this early in the game.

.LONG TERM /WEDNESDAY THROUGH SATURDAY NIGHT/...

ISSUED AT 352 AM EST SUN DEC 28 2014

...CONFIDENCE IN PRECIP TYPE IS STILL LOW UNTIL THE EXACT
TRACK BECOMES SOLIDIFIED...BUT IT/S LOOKING LIKE SNOW OVER THE
NORTHERN THIRD OF THE FORECAST AREA WITH RAIN/SNOW AND RAIN OVER THE
REMAINING TWO-THIRDS OF CENTRAL INDIANA.

A snippet from this morning disco for the system. This afternoon's had the same wording. I'm thinking that this is a ballsy call on precip type this early in the game.

.LONG TERM /WEDNESDAY THROUGH SATURDAY NIGHT/...

ISSUED AT 352 AM EST SUN DEC 28 2014

...CONFIDENCE IN PRECIP TYPE IS STILL LOW UNTIL THE EXACT

TRACK BECOMES SOLIDIFIED...BUT IT/S LOOKING LIKE SNOW OVER THE

NORTHERN THIRD OF THE FORECAST AREA WITH RAIN/SNOW AND RAIN OVER THE

REMAINING TWO-THIRDS OF CENTRAL INDIANA.

Both IND and IWX have it warm. Only on Friday night is the forecast cold enough for all snow. Rain or a mix during Friday and Saturday. Too bad the cold and moisture can align this week.

Both IND and IWX have it warm. Only on Friday night is the forecast cold enough for all snow. Rain or a mix during Friday and Saturday. Too bad the cold and moisture can align this week.

this is what both the ggem and euro were showing up until today's 12z run. Very little cold sector precip to speak of.  Don't know if the change is just a blip and we'll go back to that or if the trend is to start showing a more appreciable snow event for someone.  

this is what both the ggem and euro were showing up until today's 12z run. Very little cold sector precip to speak of.  Don't know if the change is just a blip and we'll go back to that or if the trend is to start showing a more appreciable snow event for someone.  

Actually previous runs had shown a significant area of snow....it was last nights 00z runs that showed little cold sector precip, so so far it would appear it was those that were the blip

With a negative PNA and a positive NAO it isn't taking a southern track. Its fine to worry about the system not working out, but at least worry about reasonable things like Ohio getting rain.

Should we really be talking precip types this far out? Seemed the 12z models took a southern route but perhaps I missed something.

Yeah but it still ends up passing us at the same spot though, just a wider turn.

Definitely south and somewhat colder from what I can see.

12z GFS tracked the surface low over Saginaw, while the 18z GFS track the surface low over Cleveland.

Most notably, the difference appears to be more confluence over GL/New England and Canada before the shortwave ejected from the desert SW.

Archived