joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Med/Long Range Disco

WinterWxLuvr

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Euro scoffs at the para for mon-tues. But it also showed a lagging area of precip in VA and wasn't consolidated like last night. A bit more strung out. A step towards the gfs but not exciting. 

crap model. :D

December 8-9 was a good snow event for MD near M-D line as was Jan 2. But not for the entire Middle Atlantic

I had nearly 6" from that one, and another 4" several days later (12th?), followed by another minor event a couple days later.  I'd have to go back to last years storm total thread for the specifics, but we had 3 measurable events by this point.

I had nearly 6" from that one, and another 4" several days later (12th?), followed by another minor event a couple days later. I'd have to go back to last years storm total thread for the specifics, but we had 3 measurable events by this point.

There was definitely a better pattern signal early last year than this year. It still think it will turn around but it may not be til the second half of the winter

Temps are similar to last yr but getting on a heater is important.. we are in the heater at the moment.

I've been so bummed so far that I haven't cared to bother about record keeping to this point.  If the temps are similar it seems it's because of the cloudy, rainy cap on the highs.  We've hardly even broken freezing for lows this Dec.  Last night was one of only a handful of times this month (a month that avgs. below 32F everyday).

(Never mind, I decided to examine the records to see if my perception matched reality.  Indeed, it does.)

As of yesterday at KOKV

+1F highs

+6F lows

# < 32F lows = 6

# > 32F lows = 14

And these departures will only grow by month's end.  There is no sugar-coating this Dec; it is HORRIBLE.

I'm fine acting like Dec snow is meaningless if we do the same for March. How much did everyone get in March last year?

Dec: 2.8"

Jan: 10.8"

Feb: 19.4" (14.5" from the KU)

March: 18.3" (9.5" from St. Patrick's day)

Considering I got .5" in November this year, we are only 2.3" behind last year, until Jan 2nd when last year will start pulling away.

Well we know n and w had a great dec last year and it was avg or above everywhere just about. That alone is quite different. Last winter was one of the best back loaded winters ever in the 95 corridor so it seems a poor bar going forward.

Archived