• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Wintry/Severe/Normal Storm threat 12/19-21

deltadog03

12z GFS running and the differences are just LAUGHABLE at 12z THUR at H5 vs the EURO.  GFS is strung out like a junkie.  LOL  EURO more consolidated with the southern energy into N Mexico.  No way in You know what that will shouldn't just come eastward.

Beat me to it. What a mess at 5h. Energy is all strewn out. Mark my words this will somehow end up like the Euro with that northern energy coming in on the backside to energize the southern energy. 

• Replies 764
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Beat me to it. What a mess at 5h. Energy is all strewn out. Mark my words this will somehow end up like the Euro with that northern energy coming in on the backside to energize the southern energy. 

I fully agree.  I will say that I am very impressed with how the NWS, since IMO, they have the ultimate voice when people want to figure out the weather, talks about the EURO a lot now.  It used to be so taboo to talk about how the GFS isn't doing what the EURO is...etc.   Anyone from NWS can chime in here, but do yall still get "graded" on verification scores with the GFS (products)?

I honestly don't know what to say...Im just amazed how much difference there is btwn these models.  I know there usually is, and this is the WORST period for the GFS, but holy heck batman.  They are WORLDS apart.

No kidding. ECMWF saw all of this happening for few days now and both regular GFS and Para-GFS are *finally* getting the hint, although still not fully there. It's like trying to talk to a drunk...

EDIT: Para-GFS look very ECMWF-ish with the transfer of low southeast.

CMC looks like it's finally getting a clue. Looking closer to the Euro out to 92....don't have access to 5h though yet so hard to tell. 

yeah 1009mb low off coast of NC at 132, 994mb off coast of MA/PA 144 mountain snow, some zr...nothing inland.

it's more miller a for them as it has the surface low in northern Alabama then 12 hrs later centered over Wilmington.

I didn't know A vs. B was geographic dependent?  

I am more interested in where we go from Saturday than this storm this weekend.  I was feeling good about how the pattern evolved fromChristmas to New Year time period up until the last 24-48 hours and now I wonder what that period will look like.

I didn't know A vs. B was geographic dependent?  

I am more interested in where we go from Saturday than this storm this weekend.  I was feeling good about how the pattern evolved fromChristmas to New Year time period up until the last 24-48 hours and now I wonder what that period will look like.

well I guess its not but the low does transfer so I guess that is the technical meaning of a miller B

17/50 have the miller B look at this point, and that's being generous in usedtobe's favor. I think more like 50% have a Miller B transfer, and the Miller B sign on the ensemble is there. I'm not sure if that's "most" but I understand what Franklin is saying here, some that transferred I didn't count as Miller B because it transferred so quickly, it was hard to pinpoint the primary low. If I did that number would be closer to 50%...meaning still up in the air. I wish I could show you the spread in the low locations at 138hrs but it's a paid wxbell map, but for those who have wxbell check it out by going here http://models.weatherbell.com/ecmwf/yeps_members.php and clicking low locations, hour 138, you can see two distinct areas of low means. One over SC/GA which is larger and one over eastern TN.

Great early look at the storm next weekend from Brad P:

http://wxbrad.com/weekend-storm-is-looking-all-rain-right-now-except-for-the-mountains/

Probably the best part of it is this:

This weekend is the 1st storm in what will be an active storm track through the end of the year. Snow lovers this isn’t your storm yet! This is the one that lays the groundwork for the next few.

I agree with Brad, this storm HAS to happen to start the pattern change.  BTW, euro looks a little weaker in the southern piece of energy but further south as well.  I have a feeling this will be weaker and further south.  NOTHING like the GFS, but not as bundled so far through 18z FRI  HR102  SFC low NEAR HOU

Archived