• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Pre-Turkey Day Storm Obs (Rain,Snow, Sleet...Cloudy)

ChescoWx

About 2.5" here, hopefully I can add to that as that last band moves through.

Can't say I'm disappointed. I approached this storm as a pre-season game -- doesn't matter what the score is or who won, you just want to get a feel for your team before the season begins. 

It's 11/26, it snowed much of the day, and the ground is snow covered -- all good in my book! Let's hope what happens in November, the winter will remember (to paraphrase JB).

Really can't agree with you more...this was my 3rd event in Nov for a total of 11" this month and the first half inch made me smile...

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Macungie is SE PA;)

I kinda agree with Ray. That is Lehigh Valley. SEPA is the five county region around Philly, but that can be interpreted differently:

If using the shortened form of "Southeast PA", it will almost always be referring to Philadelphia and it's surrounding counties (5), with possibly all or portions of the outer row of Lancaster, Berks, Lehigh and Northampton counties (and occasionally Lebanon and Schuylkill counties).

http://www.larryyerkes.com/southeastern-pa-and-delawarevalley.html

Yes, it is Lehigh valley, but geographically, as in splitting the state into 4. It would be SE, as would this forum posters... No war needed redsky. We are all in it together.

With that said...Dallas sucks.

Eh, I think there's an eastern PA that is neither southeast nor northeast (as in, east-central)... but that's just me ;)

Well these hills (technically known as the Reading Prong) separate the Lehigh Valley from the rest of southeast PA.  My location says Macungie, and that's just a rural route mailing address for me.  I'm just across the line from Hereford Township, a VERY small town called Seisholtzville.  I guess we have our own little micro climate, it's kind of hard to say we belong to either LHV or SE PA lol.  We usually wring out a bit more moisture during coastal storms then the LHV, but less then further SE obviously at times, while other times it's pretty much a sharp cutoff just downhill towards the LHV.  It's storms like this that make the Reading Prong, and the hills down in Chesco. the highest average snowfall climo outside of the Poconos.  (that beat us handily on climo)  So I guess it's not really fair to classify us as either or, just our own little micro climo :)

EDIT:  I was only referring to PA in this post.  Ray, yeah I hear East Central PA sometimes.  It just doesn't get mentioned that often.  I prefer to go more by natural features that SEEM to have an effect on the climate, if even just a little.  Nothing like the mountains/valleys out west......but the Reading Prong and the Blue Mountain seem to have an effect on climo in this area because the areas on the other side of them have tendencies that repeat far too often to be coincidence.  I think you can also count the way the coast curves from Long Island northward too...  In East Central PA as you call it you move into a transition zone where an E or ENE wind starts to come off of land more than ocean.

took a nap and I didn't even expect this, but 9.1" now.

musta slept through some echoes. 

LOL!  You beat me by .1" as of now.  Although I'm sure your snow is going to stick around longer ;)   We had horrible compacting down here but we got more liquid, would have preferred to get it the way you got it.

(edit by the way my previous total before the final number was from an apparently bad spot as my average was 9.0 from about 10 locations)

Well these hills (technically known as the Reading Prong) separate the Lehigh Valley from the rest of southeast PA.  My location says Macungie, and that's just a rural route mailing address for me.  I'm just across the line from Hereford Township, a VERY small town called Seisholtzville.  I guess we have our own little micro climate, it's kind of hard to say we belong to either LHV or SE PA lol.  We usually wring out a bit more moisture during coastal storms then the LHV, but less then further SE obviously at times, while other times it's pretty much a sharp cutoff just downhill towards the LHV.  It's storms like this that make the Reading Prong, and the hills down in Chesco. the highest average snowfall climo outside of the Poconos.  (that beat us handily on climo)  So I guess it's not really fair to classify us as either or, just our own little micro climo :)

After reading Hazwopers link i am now fully educated on SEPA. We both get a trophy hehe (Chescopawx might have me beat however)

In my fourth grade PA geography class we used to divide PA into five distinct regions, Philly was the "coastal plain,"  the Reading prong and Lancaster/Harrisburg, was considered the "Ridge and Valley Region", the next section was the Allegheny region which comprise of all the land outside of the ridge and valley, with the exception of the Erie's coastal plain. The Allegheny region was split into two section east and west of the Susquehanna. This is more of a geologically useful nomenclature because it handles the main watersheds in PA more easily. Does anybody know if the is any "official" convention used by the government or professional organizations? 

Final total from Easton, PA -- which being in the Lehigh Valley, I categorically refute should be grouped in with SEPA i.e. Philly and it's suburbs ;)

5.0" inches of wet, compacted snow. Little less than I hoped but as someone cleverly pointed out earlier, just a preseason game in hopefully a winning season. Fun one to watch, onto the next!

Archived