Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
December Forecast Discussion

REDMK6GLI

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

attachicon.gifgem_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_19.png

GEM is a tightly compact wound up system.. I definitely would not use the GEM for thermal profile however..

The important thing is to notice how the GGEM is consistent with showing a wrapped up system while the GFS still sleeps on it!

Yeah with absolutely no cold air in sight. That is going to be a problem with this storm at this point, unless things change.

Yeah with absolutely no cold air in sight. That is going to be a problem with this storm at this point, unless things change.

The reason why i said not to use the GEM for temperature profile... However..with a rather stale air mass in place it is going to be difficult for NYC to see snow. Even down where I am located..I am not speaking in terms of snow. First needs to be decided if there is going to be a storm? GFS ? No. Other guidance yes..Then we worry about thermal profiles.

I'm not sure how things really can change. As far as the big players go they all scream rain other then the far NW. If the lows further offshore or weaker we can't draw in cold or draw down cold. Both of which are necessary with surrounding air mass being barely marginal. We need a bomb In the perfect spot.

Another major thread the needle to get it done at the coast

I'm not sure how things really can change. As far as the big players go they all scream rain other then the far NW. If the lows further offshore or weaker we can't draw in cold or draw down cold. Both of which are necessary with surrounding air mass being barely marginal. We need a bomb In the perfect spot.

Another major thread the needle to get it done at the coast

Not even thread the needle. It's clearly an all rain system for pretty much everyone including the interior. However, if it winds up enough we might get some high winds and some wave action out of it. Their is just no cold air in place for this system.

[q uote name=TeleConnectSnow" post="3171183" timestamp="1417761299]Read last post, it was further east, but it came back way west, then it almost stalls and creates another low over NY. WACKY run. 2/26/10 is going to be tossed around with this run for sure.i think we should toss the gfs and really blend cmc and euro. If u wanna go crazy you could even add a mix of the ukmet. And you get a nice storm. It's winter (meteorologist) that is and we could easily get a rain to snow event as the storm really strengthens. What the euro is showing some great wraparound moisture. We'll be on the cold side of the storm so I don't see why we can't get a full blown snowstorm.

Not to that extent though, Euro literally has 2-4 feet for a lot of people in NH, Vermont, upstate NY its a crazy snow run. However nothing for the major cities

Its close here, impossible to know at this range but its pulling down a ton of cold air with that 500mb signature, we are damn close to the R/S line at one point, remember Euro surface temps or any model won't see dynamic cooling in an event like this til close in, that would likely produce snow at some point all the way to the coast.

This is a special version of 2/26/10

It does look something like that which was one of the craziest storms I can remember. It's not often SNE is drenched while we cash in on over a foot of snow.

If you look at the gfs it has all the elements in play but it seems to keep everything separated until it's too far east to affect us.

Its close here, impossible to know at this range but its pulling down a ton of cold air with that 500mb signature, we are damn close to the R/S line at one point, remember Euro surface temps or any model won't see dynamic cooling in an event like this til close in, that would likely produce snow at some point all the way to the coast.

Also I think the ECM is known to run a little to warm as well at times?

Archived