• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
December Forecast Discussion

REDMK6GLI

too late he already published a "preliminary" snow map. weenies gone wild!

this storm has better cold air to work with, and I say that cautiously. the HP isn't exactly in the best location and I still think NYC-east stays all rain with this thing. a colder rain than last storm IMO

This storm the issue is not so much the front end, the entire first part is going to be rain, this storm may have a chance for back end snows with some models or ensembles showing it being rather intense and vertically stacked

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This storm the issue is not so much the front end, the entire first part is going to be rain, this storm may have a chance for back end snows with some models or ensembles showing it being rather intense and vertically stacked

only time we along the coast can get legit backend snows, and correct me if im wrong is the 500mb LP closing off E of LI like Xmas 02'. we had this happen February and the 500mb LP closed off over NYC and punted the backlash wayyyy north of the area IIRC

only time we along the coast can get legit backend snows, and correct me if im wrong is the 500mb LP closing off E of LI like Xmas 02'. we had this happen February and the 500mb LP closed off over NYC and punted the backlash wayyyy north of the area IIRC

Usually, there is one other way I have seen backend snows, its when there is a very strong negative tilt at the upper levels but no real closed low and usually not a deep system, you may have a surface low somewhere off SNE.....12/11/93 and 12/14/10 I think are the only cases I can think of where that happened.  They usually produce snow over narrow areas...12/11/93 was mostly NYC to WRN LI while the 2010 event was mostly central or ERN LI.  Most backlash events are also Miller Bs, 12/25/02 is classified as a Miller A by many but to me its almost a Miller A/B mix event.  There have been some Miller As that were rain to snow but generally it seems they are all rain, all snow, or snow to rain.

its a preliminary snow map and I will tweak it on Monday again. I honestly think we will get a snow event with this one even here in NYC. Just hoping the main dynamics come in during the night because the cold air is just not that cold, but than again a storm this big could make it's own cold air as depicted by John's dynamic map of the euro 12z run. It'll most likely be a rain to heavy wet snow event for our area.

TLS

break down this OPC surface map for us....

I would like to see your skill set

thank you

dm

http://www.opc.ncep.noaa.gov/shtml/A_96hrbw.gif

http://www.opc.ncep.noaa.gov/Atl_tab.shtml

no that's rather a weak system. I'm hoping the storm really bombs out to 990 or so. What do you mean I'm wrong, the low southeast of us as depicted on the map above is at 1014

Edit: 

T

lesson #1

this 04   marker  is  the Extrapolated pressure forecast 

that's a ten mb drop

Hoping for something ,is just like a wishcast 

yes or no???   :nerdsmiley:

We don't do that here.... do we???

T

lesson #1

this 04 marker is the Extrapolated pressure forecast

that's a ten mb drop

attachicon.gifop.gif

Hoping for something ,is just like a wishcast

yes or no??? :nerdsmiley:

We don't do that here.... do we???

technically I know this already so if you wanna call it a lesson you may. Also 3 of the better models (euro,uk, and cmc) all had the low stronger than 1004 so yes I'm hoping those models are right. Plus as the first low pressure scoots up the second low will have plenty of time to form and strengthen stronger than 1000 millibars. Also where the low is getting formed there is some really warm water around there and like Anthony says warm water could fuel these type of storms just like a hurricane's main fuel is very warm waters! But yeah I know each line is 10 millibars

technically I know this already so if you wanna call it a lesson you may. Also 3 of the better models (euro,uk, and cmc) all had the low stronger than 1004 so yes I'm hoping those models are right. Plus as the first low pressure scoots up the second low will have plenty of time to form and strengthen stronger than 1000 millibars. Also where the low is getting formed there is some really warm water around there and like Anthony says warm water could fuel these type of storms just like a hurricane's main fuel is very warm waters! But yeah I know each line is 10 millibars

T...

Hoping is Wishcasting!  :grinch:

What do you see here?

http://www.esrl.noaa.gov/psd/map/images/ens/t850std_f120_us.html

1004 isn't going to cut it boys. We need Boxing Day type storm -980 to draw down air cold enough for coastal snow. As modeled it's another 270 NW special

Orange County might as well be Vermont

ty LBSF

oh yeah ....lets pile on while we can   :lol: 

Game-Set-Match  from the OPC

http://www.opc.ncep.noaa.gov/shtml/A_96hr500bw.gif

Vision & Mission Statement

The OPC strives to be recognized as the mariner's weather lifeline through exceptional products and customer service.

The Ocean Prediction Center (OPC) is an integral component of the National Centers for Environmental Prediction (NCEP) located at the NOAA Science Center in Camp Springs, MD. The primary responsibility is the issuance of marine warnings, forecasts, and guidance in text and graphical format for maritime users. Also, the OPC quality controls marine observations globally from ship, buoy, and automated marine observations for gross errors prior to being assimilated into computer model guidance. The Ocean Prediction Center also provides forecast points in coordination with the National Hurricane Center (NHC) for Tropical Cyclones in the Atlantic Ocean E of 60W and N of 20N.

OPC originates and issues marine warnings and forecasts, continually monitors and analyzes maritime data, and provides guidance of marine atmospheric variables for purposes of protection of life and property, safety at sea, and enhancement of economic opportunity. These products fulfill U.S. responsibilities with the World Meteorological Organization and Safety of Life at Sea Convention (SOLAS) [International Convention for the Safety of Life at Sea, 1960 and 1974].

http://www.opc.ncep.noaa.gov/abtopc.shtml

ncep is a noaa weather model aka national center of environmental prediction. This particular ensemble of the 2 depicted shows the average temperatures of 850 millibars. It does show above average during the storm period, but this is also just a model and at the end of the day I would go against it especially the fact that the 850's should stay below freezing since the low is going to be way offshore. If we had a cutter id understand that and we'd have sleet or just plain rain, but since we have a coastal even 850's should get very cold as the storm deepens which is forecasted to do.

its not just the storm that determines temps at all levels - take a look at the HP and the positioning of that and what   it forces the wind direction to become - thats the key to this whole event - nothing to block the high from scooting from Quebec as the storm is approaching to northeast of Maine when it counts around here more of an easterly component in the wind especially this early in the season with water temps in the 40's means more liquid vs. frozen in the immediate metro area and coastal locations

[quot e name=NEG NAO" post="3170982" timestamp="1417751375]its not just the storm that determines temps at all levels - take a look at the HP and the positioning of that and what it forces the wind direction to become - thats the key to this whole event - nothing to block the high from scooting from Quebec as the storm is approaching to northeast of Maine when it counts around here more of an easterly component in the wind especially this early in the season with water temps in the 40's means more liquid vs. frozen in the immediate metro area and coastal locationsthats a strong high though we might have cad in place combined with evoporative cooling leading to dynamic cooling which should cool all layers including the surface temps assuming this storm is stronger than 1000 millibars but I hear what your saying though

GFS looks weird - once again the bias in the flawed model is putting to much emphasis on the northern stream with a strong low in southern Canada - leaving the offshore storm weak and wandering and nobody even stayed up for this model run leaving me to do the flawed play by play - now thats dangerous

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/gfs/2014120500/gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_18.png

Archived