joxey
Wednesday into Turkey Day Storm

Animal

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What, no snow pile this year???

Haha

Oh don't you worry, that pile last year was mainly from a second story deck. I still have to shovel that, and will definitely strategically point the blower in the right direction

Last year was a banner year for the pile. We can only hope we reach such heights this year!

2014-15 the year of the pile!

Early and late season snowstorms are hard to forecast and can depend greatly on where the best banding sets up.  Models often have trouble with that too.  I remember several storms (the most recent being early November 2012) where heavy snow was expected NW of I-95, and it ended up along or east of it, because that's just where the banding set up.  I suspect some of you remember how badly the forecast for November 2012 went...  (I was among those who was off, though got lucky at TTN because they were exactly on the opposite side and distance from the heavy banding from what I thought, so locally my forecast was right... for the wrong reasons).

Haha

Oh don't you worry, that pile last year was mainly from a second story deck. I still have to shovel that, and will definitely strategically point the blower in the right direction

Last year was a banner year for the pile. We can only hope we reach such heights this year!

2014-15 the year of the pile!

Hear hear!

It would be awesome if we could reach similar heights this year without having to get overly creative...

post-9898-0-13695200-1416881987_thumb.jp

(Credit to forum member BuffaloWeather for the pic)

Early and late season snowstorms are hard to forecast and can depend greatly on where the best banding sets up.  Models often have trouble with that too.  I remember several storms (the most recent being early November 2012) where heavy snow was expected NW of I-95, and it ended up along or east of it, because that's just where the banding set up.  I suspect some of you remember how badly the forecast for November 2012 went...  (I was among those who was off, though got lucky at TTN because they were exactly on the opposite side and distance from the heavy banding from what I thought, so locally my forecast was right... for the wrong reasons).

If I recall correctly for that one, a winter storm warning went up (in this area at least) early in the morning on the day of. And we got all rain except for a coating at the very end. But it was kind of a last minute upgrade to the forecast was it not? Between that and it being so early (November 8th??), it didn't bother me all that much. (Only when I hear people talking about the 6-8-12" they got, lol). This is more "in season", and unless a lot changes in the next 24 hours I'd be somewhat surprised if we didn't get some accumulation. Subject to change of course!

Definitely. I believe this could be the type of storm were you see areas in the banding switching to heavy snow several hours before other areas on either side of the banding sitting on subsidence and not having the rates to cool and changeover. Mesos are gonna be real important on this one. The boom/bust on this forecast is definitely high. Some people are going to get hit pretty hard while others will have bad mixing issues or subsidence. It should be interesting to see how the RGEM picks up banding over the next few runs. 

Very true, was forecasted with a sloppy inch for that. Ended up with 13" quite possibly the heaviest early Nov snowfall for the area ever. Although the sloppy inch is more likely inorder for this goaround (but you never know). I still think with no blocking, this storm will disappoint more than please; like so many of those 2007-2008 busts.

All I know is that its currently 67 degrees at 12:30 am.... In late November...

I'm seeing some forecasts (like weather underground fi) showing 5-8". It just doesn't seem possible. I do remember a storm in the late 90s in March where we got 7" of heavy wet snow on grass and the roads were just slushy or wet... But it wasn't 67 less then 36 hours before the event started.

I just can't see any snow that might fall sticking on these surfaces at this point...

It's all going to come down to where the best banding sets up. It doesn't matter that its in the 60s right now, if you get rates of 1-2" an hour it'll stick to everything and the temps will crash fast if you get under one of those bands. If it just stays at a light to moderate snow than yes accumation will be difficult especially mid day. Inevitably there will be more on the grass and cars than blacktop but if it does snow at a good clip everything will be white by Wednesday evening.

Archived