• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Upstate NY/North Country + adjacent ON, QC, VT: End of Fall/Into Winter!

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I called for WWA last night. WSW criteria just wouldn't be met with this system. It was sloppy and not closed all the way through. Even the overunning was weak sauce.

We might actually need a banter/complaint thread like the other sub-forums have. ^_^

Very risky move putting up widespread wsw's for a system with such weak dynamics, it's just surprising that all models overdid precip so much over the last couple days.

I don't know Bri, I think I may be premature with my bust comments as I see something interesting going on in and around the western tip of Lake Erie as an area of blossoming precip starts to make its way to the NE and not E with a vigorous SW!  Lets give this dud a bit more time to get going because I don't feel like putting my foot in my mouth like the last one when I said it was ova and I woke up to a foot, lol.

That's right. High returns with the Cleveland Doppler. See where that sets up. That would be the only chance to verify 7" inches in 12 hrs. I can't believe we have been under WSW since Sat. night for Oswego County/this am for Onondaga if I am correct. They have this going until 7 am for Onondaga. A bit perplexed to say the least.

Still snowing lightly here in western Monroe. Based on the radar trends, gotta think the bulk of it is over for here. We may have picked up 3" total but I haven't been out to measure recently.

Edit to add (or try to add) some pics from the rime this morning.

First, just some trees in the yard. Followed by close-ups of rime on a stake and rime on spruce needles. It was beautiful but hard to photograph.

post-5871-0-98737600-1423444815_thumb.jppost-5871-0-00461700-1423444836_thumb.jppost-5871-0-31563100-1423444855_thumb.jp

I don't know Bri, I think I may be premature with my bust comments as I see something interesting going on in and around the western tip of Lake Erie as an area of blossoming precip starts to make its way to the NE and not E with a vigorous SW! Lets give this dud a bit more time to get going because I don't feel like putting my foot in my mouth like the last one when I said it was ova and I woke up to a foot, lol.

Stick a Fork in it. Trust me on this. ;)

If this were another forum, we could post unintelligible 1,000 word missives on why it's not over, or on why the 384 hr GFS is a lock to verify due to pattern recognition (whatever that is), synergistics, the propensity for CAD to be undermodeled, some gibberish about the AO & EPO, but mostly just cuz I like the output IMBY. But that's so 10 years ago...;)

I think the bust calls are a bit premature. The low is in Western Ohio and is still deepening and crawling east. RAP and HRRR have the precip field reforming and steady snow continuing through early afternoon tomorrow for CNY.  I would be very surprised if Ithaca's WSW for 5-10" doesn't verify. It's coming down very nicely at the moment and the radar is looking pretty good.

Edit: The high res 4km NAM has light backend snow through early Tuesday morning. This storm has a long way to go.

Certainly. Bustogenisys calls are probably premature at this juncture. However, I think best snow accums will be south of the Thruway, and north of the state line, and elevated areas will verify the original ideas of 8-14". The notable exception from Thruway and north will be the Tug Hill area. Because the Tug never loses.

Just measured...1", using parallax as a tool...;)

At this rate, last night's 1.8" will be matched around sunrise, here.

Just over 4 inches of new snow in my yard since this morning.  The radar is backfilling pretty nicely right now over the Niagara peninsula and extremely light lake effect is occurring on the majority of the south shore of lake ontario under the Northeast surface flow.  Lets not give up yet. 

Who else got to experience the golf ball sized flakes this afternoon when that initial precip field blossomed?  It was absolutely dumping....

Just over 4 inches of new snow in my yard since this morning.  The radar is backfilling pretty nicely right now over the Niagara peninsula and extremely light lake effect is occurring on the majority of the south shore of lake ontario under the Northeast surface flow.  Lets not give up yet. 

Who else got to experience the golf ball sized flakes this afternoon when that initial precip field blossomed?  It was absolutely dumping....

Skiing at Song Mt and driving from Tully NY north to SYR afterwards, around 4-5 pm, there were some decent flake sizes on I-81 and in the hills. Flake size was smaller from SYR north but falling at a reasonable rate based on viz estimate. Since then, not so much

00Z NAM says ITH jackpots...generally a south of Thruway axis of best qpf. Who knows if that will materialize into decent accumulation though. I'd keep a 10:1 ratio in mind when developing any expectations with this one. I don't have individual station qpf yet, will post when I have it.

To be honest I don't believe anything I see and I don't care if the event is actually happening.  We were 24hrs out, in the Jackpot, and got completely shafted, I love it!!  It doesn't get any better than that!  I can see if we were on the fringes of this turd, but we were directly in the center of the heavier precip shield and we still managed to escape even touching advisory totals, lol.  Talk about BUST!!

Plenty more winter!

To be honest I don't believe anything I see and I don't care if the event is actually happening. We were 24hrs out, in the Jackpot, and got completely shafted, I love it!! It doesn't get any better than that! I can see if we were on the fringes of this turd, but we were directly in the center of the heavier precip shield and we still managed to escape even touching advisory totals, lol. Talk about BUST!!

Plenty more winter!

I was suspicious of the cumulative snow totals being shown a few days ago. With just some junkball clippers, weak overrunning and a lame slp transiting west to east with almost zero dynamics, it seemed overdone.

This one is over up here. KBGM could drop the Warnings in their northern ring of counties but at this point, what difference does it make? Actually, it might. If they downgrade, much more likely that schools will be open tomorrow. The hype factor plays a roll in those decisions. When the powers that be wake up at 4-5 am and see 2-3" on ground and warnings downgraded, more likely to get the buses rolling, LOL. Just told kids they got screwed, school will be happening tomorrow after all. I also got robocalled by my employer tonight, a canned warning that a nasty storm is coming from BUF to BOS. WtF is wrong with these idiots in Massachusetts, (corp HQ). These emergency preparedness types have to go. They've become hysterical bitches. Apparently they don't know that it snows in upstate NY every other day, or more frequently at times.

I was suspicious of the cumulative snow totals being shown a few days ago. With just some junkball clippers, weak overrunning and a lame slp transiting west to east with almost zero dynamics, it seemed overdone.

This one is over up here. KBGM could drop the Warnings in their northern ring of counties but at this point, what difference does it make? Actually, it might. If they downgrade, much more likely that schools will be open tomorrow. The hype factor plays a roll in those decisions. When the powers that be wake up at 4-5 am and see 2-3" on ground and warnings downgraded, more likely to get the buses rolling, LOL. Just told kids they got screwed, school will be happening tomorrow after all. I also got robocalled by my employer tonight, a canned warning that a nasty storm is coming from BUF to BOS. WtF is wrong with these idiots in Massachusetts, (corp HQ). These emergency preparedness types have to go. They've become hysterical bitches. Apparently they don't know that it snows in upstate NY every other day, or more frequently at times.

They canceled my training that I was supposed to have for tomorrow near the airport. Now I have to be there when the regional manager comes in...Was really looking forward to being away for that visit. Buffalo has gone completely soft.

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT

SPOTTER REPORTS

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BUFFALO NY

757 PM EST SUN FEB 08 2015

********************STORM TOTAL SNOWFALL********************

LOCATION STORM TOTAL TIME/DATE COMMENTS

SNOWFALL OF

/INCHES/ MEASUREMENT

NEW YORK

...CAYUGA COUNTY...

4 NNE MONTEZUMA 3.5 657 PM 2/08 COCORAHS

...ERIE COUNTY...