• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Upstate NY/North Country + adjacent ON, QC, VT: End of Fall/Into Winter!

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Central Square started out with a 2 hour delay then closed. I think they're close to using up all their snow days for the year.[/quote ] I think our district here still has some slack but probably not a lot. Just wait till the red taggers / news media start hyper ventilating about the "severe cold" for later this week. They'll have schools shutting down or delaying again.

Snow depth here is now about 20". It was 14" late yesterday afternoon. I'd say total snow from this storm was in the 6-8" range. Still falling at a decent rate.

Where is this stuff about Lake Ontario being "almost frozen" coming from?

The GLSEA maps, maybe? 

EDIT: No, the latest shows <10% cover on most of Lake Ontario, with only the very edge of the south shoreline and NE end of the lake frozen. Looking at that map, only the fetch for Watertown north would be limited by that ice cover. With really cold air aloft, there should be no issues getting LES off Ontario at least as far as delta-T and moisture transport are concerned.

I think the last batch of this system willo be finally making its way through through the area within the next few hours as there seems to be a SW rounding the base of the trough down around Elmira.  Elmira is about to get blitzed and places to my SW and S are going to get into it pretty good as this last batch moves through!  Snowing moderately here in Pennellville NY, and as that batch moves through it should get quite heavy for a while before the freezing drizzle ensues!

There is a wicked band sitting over So. Oswego county that is crushing the entire area. This has to be the hardest it has been snowing since the event began!

agree, snowing pretty hard now, been steady, light, most of the day. I haven't measured at work but maybe we equaled the 4.5" over night. Totals here might end up respectable. So much for my weenie whining.

Measure 3.75" snowfall from 730a to 5p, storm total about 8.5"...not too bad. Low end of forecasts and well under some of the initial clown map totals but not too bad. Snow depth here is 26", it's getting deep out there.

I'll second that on the deep snowpack.  I just measured 22" in my backyard, which is the deepest I've measured since I moved into my house in 2007. 

This 22" pack feels ridiculous, which really puts the Buffalo event into perspective and lake effect in general.  I've been away from Buffalo too long.

Also, as of 730pm, the snow finally stopped:

North Gates

31 Hours of snow

11.4 inches

I'll second that on the deep snowpack.  I just measured 22" in my backyard, which is the deepest I've measured since I moved into my house in 2007. 

This 22" pack feels ridiculous, which really puts the Buffalo event into perspective and lake effect in general.  I've been away from Buffalo too long.

North Gates

31 Hours of snow

11.4 inches

Yep, even though we really haven't been fully unloaded on in a storm, it's been cold and nothing has melted. This is actually pretty typical around here. We tend to not jackpot all that often, coastals usually too Far East, but we do "ok" and then LES and Clippers make up the difference. I haven't totaled up but I belive I'm 90-100" for the season thusfar. Probably close to on track for normal seasonal snowfall.

3.5" was my total for the storm but it was heavily water laden. Must have been 1:8 ratios or something as some of it was sleet. Puts me over 180" on the year. With the upcoming pattern, I should break 200" for the first time in my life. I thank Lake Erie for supplying me with WSW winds from Nov-Mid January. Current snow depth in my 5 measurements ranges from 22"-25". My lonely pile at the end of the driveway will have lasted from Mid Nov to who knows when, its a solid ice block. ^_^

Most epic winter of all time here. Would be cool to get one crazy synoptic system that drops 20" on the area. Then it would be unbeatable for the Buffalo Southtowns.

Yep, even though we really haven't been fully unloaded on in a storm, it's been cold and nothing has melted. This is actually pretty typical around here. We tend to not jackpot all that often, coastals usually too Far East, but we do "ok" and then LES and Clippers make up the difference. I haven't totaled up but I belive I'm 90-100" for the season thusfar. Probably close to on track for normal seasonal snowfall.

Glad you guys were able to cash in on what looked like a grim outcome at first.

Indeed, it was good throughout the day here in Skaneateles. We ended up with 12+ from this whole storm

16485375301_4c45757159_z.jpg

15866989193_710d1fb415_z.jpg

Measure 3.75" snowfall from 730a to 5p, storm total about 8.5"...not too bad. Low end of forecasts and well under some of the initial clown map totals but not too bad. Snow depth here is 26", it's getting deep out there.

Love town pictures like that, beautiful!

North Gates

31 Hours of snow

11.4 inches

I think the highest snowdepth in that storm was 59" in Elma/East Aurora. The highest I got was 48-52". The SWE was 6-6.5" in the hardest hit areas. I would put 07 Tug event and this one side by side as the two most epic events of all time in lake effect snow regions. I wish they had data from the 77" season though. =/

One would think if ratios were correct someplace got well over 100". 100/6.5= 1:15 ratios. They were definitely higher than that. It's a shame we won't get truly accurate measurements. The real likely ratios were most likely 1:20 on average which would result in totals upwards of 130"....lol

North Gates

31 Hours of snow

11.4 inches

Measured 22" here as well. Snow has finally stopped.

Snowfall totals:

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/buf/facebook/BUFPNSBUF.1501100111

...CAYUGA COUNTY...   4 NNE MONTEZUMA       12.0   600 PM  2/09  COCORAHS   
...ERIE COUNTY...   2 SE GLENWOOD          6.5   800 AM  2/09  COCORAHS                   BUFFALO AIRPORT        6.1   700 PM  2/09  NWS OFFICE                 EAST AMHERST           4.7   850 AM  2/09  TRAINED SPOTTER            1 W COLDEN             4.6   730 AM  2/09  COOP OBSERVER           
...GENESEE COUNTY...   CORFU                  9.0   800 AM  2/09  TRAINED SPOTTER     
...JEFFERSON COUNTY...   1 WSW WATERTOWN        6.1   430 AM  2/09  COCORAHS  
...MONROE COUNTY...   5 W ROCHESTER         13.0   300 PM  2/09  SOCIAL MEDIA               ROCHESTER             12.8   700 PM  2/09  ASOS                       3 WSW ROCHESTER INTL   9.2   700 AM  2/09  COOP OBSERVER              1 NW NORTH CHILI       7.4   800 AM  2/09  COCORAHS                   2 ENE BROCKPORT        7.1  1144 AM  2/09  COCORAHS           
...ONTARIO COUNTY...   1 W GENEVA            10.0   300 PM  2/09  TRAINED SPOTTER            3 W GENEVA             9.5   800 AM  2/09  COOP OBSERVER           
...ORLEANS COUNTY...   4 ESE LYNDONVILLE      8.9   900 AM  2/09  COOP OBSERVER 
...WAYNE COUNTY...   2 SW WALWORTH         11.7   700 AM  2/09  COCORAHS                   2 NW PALMYRA           9.1   830 AM  2/09  COCORAHS         
...WYOMING COUNTY...   3 W WYOMING            7.9   700 AM  2/09  COOP OBSERVER    

Dude has always been sort of amazing in a deeply unhinged way, with his multi paragraph epic odes to "vodka cold," promises to clear Herculean amounts of snow with slide rule precision, and very weird erotic poetry about taking "Jebwalks" through great drifts of powder white snow.

But this is something else. Transcendent. I feel bad that the narcissistic weenie in Tolland is slant sticking feet of snow when Jebman would go into religious rapture from a single afternoon of good lake effect.

Archived