Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
2014/2015 New England Snowfall Predictions

HoarfrostHubb

poor warministas last March with their super Nino hype machine in full force

Hopefully many learned a good lesson about "the Spring Barrier"...something I learned years ago in ENSO forecasting. Very difficult to forecast ENSO until you are past May and even June most of the time.

It's hard enough to forecast it in Aug/Sep...trying to do it prior to well-known barrier in skill is really excessively difficult. Just because it looked like 1997 in April, didn't mean it would keep up. Small sample sizes FTL.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

KBOS 61"

KPVD 47"

KBDL 63"

KORH 85"

KSHEEP(Roxbury Crossing, MA) 65"

KWFS(Whiteface Mountain, Lake Placid, NY) 225"(Climo is ~200")

My winter forecast with reasoning and analysis along with relevant images: http://www.southernconnecticutweather.com/forecasters-discussion/the-2014-2015-southern-connecticut-weather-winter-forecast

Had the right idea with being pretty bullish relative to climo and a lot of my reasoning that I laid out in my discussion did verify so in the end I'm pretty happy with it despite the bust on actual numbers(Major kudos to those who went for historical, that is, Steve/Ray/whoever else I'm missing) and being a few weeks too early with the flip(I had it in late December, result was mid January). Overall grade 84/100 -> B.

Hopefully many learned a good lesson about "the Spring Barrier"...something I learned years ago in ENSO forecasting. Very difficult to forecast ENSO until you are past May and even June most of the time.

It's hard enough to forecast it in Aug/Sep...trying to do it prior to well-known barrier in skill is really excessively difficult. Just because it looked like 1997 in April, didn't mean it would keep up. Small sample sizes FTL.

the amount of name scientists that were touting this taught me a lesson. The reason my Super Nino meh title remains is a reminder to me that there is a ton of bad science out there

Archived