Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Let's talk Winter!

Steve

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

that looks ok...definitely on the conservative side though.  I think 4-6" is probably a good bet.  I'm not sure why ILN is so hell bent on changing this to rain tomorrow.   The nam was the only model showing that, and it has trended colder since.  The 12z nam looks like it's all snow for Franklin County, with possible mixing for a brief time south of that.

If accums are on the lighter side it may have more to do with less precip in general.

Plumes took a big jump.....huge grouping between 4 and 6"....mean at 5"

By the way, did you guys see the 00z euro?    It goes bonkers with the 3rd wave and puts down like a foot of snow across the southeast half of OH after our rainstorm lol.   

Agreed.  5"-6" is where I think we'll be at in the end.  ILN is too far north with the 4-6 line, imo, and I also don't get why they think a changeover is going to happen, but whatever.  Their discussion just talks about warm air aloft pushing north through the storm. 

Agreed.  5"-6" is where I think we'll be at in the end.  ILN is too far north with the 4-6 line, imo, and I also don't get why they think a changeover is going to happen, but whatever.  Their discussion just talks about warm air aloft pushing north through the storm.

Again, I love that ILN is conservative! They are terrible! I hate to keep saying it but after last year & this year with their stupidity of putting up WSW when ALL models showed nothing but rain is inexcusable PERIOD!

12z NAM is easily 6" for me and you can see why the Cleveland office went 6-10 w/ heavier precip to my northeast.

gfs is a little drier. All of Franklin county is safely in the all snow soundings. One county south, (ie Fayette), may see some brief mixing if not an all out switch briefly to rain.

Agreed about GFS, but wasn't it drier last week? I mean ILN dropped WWA from 4-6 to 3-5. I just don't understand.

Sorry, no they didn't.

Again, I love that ILN is conservative! They are terrible! I hate to keep saying it but after last year & this year with their stupidity of putting up WSW when ALL models showed nothing but rain is inexcusable PERIOD!

12z NAM is easily 6" for me and you can see why the Cleveland office went 6-10 w/ heavier precip to my northeast.

nam is .66 for cmh....   soundings are safe...but really close.   The 950's top at 0 briefly....so verbatim, some pinging could mix in from I-70 south.    

rgem looks good...  pretty much has lined up with the nam and gfs.  Looks like the concensus is now solidifying.   About 12 hours til flakes, time to put down the models and fire up the radar.

my final call:  Westerville  5.75"     CMH official:  4.8"    :)

And Powell 5.8. Wooo! Lol

ILN issued a WWA. Going with 3-5" changing to all rain and ending Sunday afternoon which no model is showing this. None. Every model shows 6"+ across i70 especially north and none showing ending by Sunday afternoon.

Maybe then did an update since issuance at 4AM, but I show CMH WWA until 10pm?  Also, when taking melting/compaction into account, 4-6" is a great forecast.  This is a case where you almost know that is going to occur, so no point in forecasting higher totals that almost no one will ever observe or verify your forecast with.

rgem looks good...  pretty much has lined up with the nam and gfs.  Looks like the concensus is now solidifying.   About 12 hours til flakes, time to put down the models and fire up the radar.

my final call:  Westerville  5.75"     CMH official:  4.8"  6.5"   :)

Adjusted for CMH style measuring :lmao:

BTW...that 0z Euro third wave.......can't remember ever seeing a big snow happen like that?

BTW...that 0z Euro third wave.......can't remember ever seeing a big snow happen like that?

me neither.  I've seen back lash snows that met warning criteria before, but I've never seen a follow up wave like that dump snow on us as a rainer was departing.

Interestingly, the uk and ggem are trending weaker and south with storm 2...  that might have implications for more front end taint before a rain change over.     Doesn't look like the ggem is doing anything with a third wave....and can't tell on the ukie.

gotta admit,  whoever has been doing CMH measuring the last couple years is definitely measuring from the taint.   Every snowfall we've had this season, the CMH measurement has matched or exceeded my back yard...except for the last storm , but it was really close.   That rarely happened in past winters.  Usually I measure 6" imby and CMH comes in with 2.8" lol

I could see a few totals closing in on 6" especially north of I-70 (especially north of where my map goes) but in general I see compaction/melting limiting much past 3-5".  Farther south, going close to a GFS/NAM blend. 

I do believe a glaze of ice accumulation is possible across NKY and CVG metro before changing to all rain by late morning.

post-165-0-42200700-1425147504_thumb.jpg

Archived