• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Let's talk Winter!

Steve

Any chance the one during the week nmodels colder?  2" of rain will be a nightmare

hard to tell but I'd say that looks very likely to be at least some rain.  Yea, it's gonna be a mess.

btw, the models try to bring the 850s furthest north during the height of the precip falling.   That always sends a red flag.   They did that with the last storm and failed.   Hell, even when we had that lull, it remained snow once it started up again.

This one doesn't look as wet as last week, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a high end advisory, low end warning criteria for Franklin county.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Euro and NAM are picking out a little warm layer around 925mb Sunday AM.  Could see some patchy freezing rain down here in Cincy.  I've been rolling with up to 1" Sunday AM which I see no reason to change at this time.  I like 2-5 mostly snow in Columbus.  I see 5-7" falling but midday March sun angle combined with forecast surface temps of 33-35 degrees will significantly limit accumulation.  We saw that happen down here last Saturday where the only really good accumulation we got after 8-10am was with a couple extremely high end intense bands of precip.

heh,

euro does the 3rd storm thing like the ggem.    Gives franklin county 5-6" snow with #1 and then rains with #2, with a #3 following it's heels giving us something like 6"+ for the southern half of Ohio

Wave 3 is so far out that I haven't even been giving it much effort.  Also seems kind of an odd setup...since when did we get 6" of snow with crashing temps on a major frontal passage from a cutting storm??  I see it tries to pop a very weak low in TN or SE KY.  That must be it.

Euro and NAM are picking out a little warm layer around 925mb Sunday AM.  Could see some patchy freezing rain down here in Cincy.  I've been rolling with up to 1" Sunday AM which I see no reason to change at this time.  I like 2-5 mostly snow in Columbus.  I see 5-7" falling but midday March sun angle combined with forecast surface temps of 33-35 degrees will significantly limit accumulation.  We saw that happen down here last Saturday where the only really good accumulation we got after 8-10am was with a couple extremely high end intense bands of precip.

could be, but that seems odd coming off such an extended period of frigid temps....surface temps should be plenty cold, we'll have a snow cover, and of course it'll be cloudy when it's snowing...lol. 

But yea, I'm not saying you're wrong...it's definitely that time of year where these things become considerations.

could be, but that seems odd coming off such an extended period of frigid temps....surface temps should be plenty cold, we'll have a snow cover, and of course it'll be cloudy when it's snowing...lol. 

But yea, I'm not saying you're wrong...it's definitely that time of year where these things become considerations.

Last weekend we were coming off even colder conditions with a decent snow pack in place and had no problem getting to 33-34 degrees.  I think getting much warmer would be hard with such a weak system, but at 33-34 the damage is already being done.

Last weekend we were coming off even colder conditions with a decent snow pack in place and had no problem getting to 33-34 degrees.  I think getting much warmer would be hard with such a weak system, but at 33-34 the damage is already being done.

it's amazingly similar to the last set up....but it's also one week deeper into the season, so yea, it's not going to be a slam dunk.   All the reasons I thought the last one wouldn't changeover are in place for this one.  Pos tilted trough, extremely weak wave, cold air being dis-lodged, and the precip coming in as snow.    Granted, as Pondo said, no 2 systems are exactly alike.  

6-10 north of i70 which I think is way overdone.

Bradley has rain mixing in to us30. 0z Nam kinda shows the 850 line getting to or maybe a bit north of i70.

I think we're ok (meaning I-70 corridor) as far as 850 temps.  Problem looks like the 950 temps tickling slightly above freezing, (like +0.7) very briefly just north of I-70.   That would probably spell a brief mix to rain as far north as the edge of Delaware county.   

Again, as I said about the last storm, if we get into steady precip and don't lull, I don't see us changing here in the CMH area.    If the precip starts looking more showery vs. steady, we might have a different story.

by the way....Ganahl's forecast tonight on the news was a pile of the wtf? lol   His graphics didn't match what he was saying.  He was talking about how we will change to rain as his future radar model was looping in the background showing an all snow event north of Chillicothe.  Then he showed the snow amount forecast which had the heaviest snow in the state right across Columbus at 5.5" and he said the snow will be heavier the further nw you go from Columbus.    Then to top it off, he ended it by saying several inches of snow on Sunday and the graphic for Sunday had rain :lol:  :wacko:  

By the way, he is HUGE!   Remember when he supposedly had to lose all that weight because he was retaining a ton of water, he passed out, flat-lined and was off work for several weeks?   Well he is now even bigger then when that happened.  He's almost TLC documentary big.  In all seriousness he's stumbling thru a minefield right now as far as his health is concerned  :yikes:

Archived