Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Fall Thread

dryslot

• Replies 987
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And perhaps a smelly one. 

I guess a simple look back at previous obs can let you know about a trend, but I kind of call Tolland on that. Even crushed SLK.

I ran back through the last week of obs, and nothing appears significantly out of the ordinary (aside from the 17 being so much colder than surrounding obs). It does seem that they get colder than neighboring obs on the radiational nights especially. They might just be a weenie spot.

Of note is that the site was moved in August, from in town to the edge of town by the treatment plant. So we wouldn't have noticed this last winter for instance.

I ran back through the last week of obs, and nothing appears significantly out of the ordinary (aside from the 17 being so much colder than surrounding obs). It does seem that they get colder than neighboring obs on the radiational nights especially. They might just be a weenie spot.

Of note is that the site was moved in August, from in town to the edge of town by the treatment plant. So we wouldn't have noticed this last winter for instance.

The KOWD of Maine.

That was from our COOP, not the AWOS.

They are just south of the airfield by the sewage treatment plant. The site sits in a relative little bowl between Wood Pond and the sewage treatment ponds, just shy of 1,200 feet. Definitely a good radiating spot.

It's also possible their thermometer is set to Tolland. We did call to confirm and they said 17.2 was the low, so it wasn't a misread. Unfortunately, they won't report their weekend temps until Monday morning so we can't verify if they are consistently running cold.

Sugarloaf had a big 18 on their website.

Up to 79F under the full sun now but clouds increasing rapidly. We'll see if we can touch 80F.

Dude the leaves are changing by the hour it seems now, lol. I was just out doing some errands and there's a noticeable increase in even the last 24-48 hours of color.

It finally got to the point where I want to take the camera out, so tomorrow I think I'll wander the mountains looking for some shots. Obviously it's still early but there are clusters of vibrancy now amongst the overall backdrop.

Dude the leaves are changing by the hour it seems now, lol. I was just out doing some errands and there's a noticeable increase in even the last 24-48 hours of color.

It finally got to the point where I want to take the camera out, so tomorrow I think I'll wander the mountains looking for some shots. Obviously it's still early but there are clusters of vibrancy now amongst the overall backdrop.

I am waiting to get out there myself. I could do without this near 80 nonsense but at least there is still one heck of a breeze.

Awesome, just driving home yesterday from work it looked like its starting. Big change from Friday when I was hiking and saw basically nothing. Gonna happen fast!!

Touched 80F now.

Lots of color starting to show up in the trees. It's low color, but most trees have it and it's not stress related. Most of the swamp maples and birches are near full color.

Color is about 25% at my place, though the large amount of white ash here makes for quick change. The "early corner" just west of town on Route 2 is over 50% changed with some bright reds and burgundies. That wet soil area always is a week or so ahead of elsewhere.

Very humid yesterday but with next to no sun the temp topped out at 65, TD about the same. All that moisture could only bring 0.04" precip. Did not notice anything skyward this morning.

Lovely miserymist here... NW flow doing its thing, MVL showing 7sm -RN but its not really rain as much as its like heavy mist/drizzle. 

Reminds me of winter though...this would be the persistent currier and ives snowfall in a couple months.

Really want to go out for a hike, hopefully this stuff clears up, looks like a large portion of New England is already seeing sun.  This stuff looks very low level...as there are breaks of sunshine and blue above while the misty drizzle continues.  Some nice rainbows from time to time, but now its socked back in.

BTV is almost 60 degrees with scattered clouds and sun, while its 50 degrees here with waves of drizzle.

Color is about 25% at my place, though the large amount of white ash here makes for quick change. The "early corner" just west of town on Route 2 is over 50% changed with some bright reds and burgundies. That wet soil area always is a week or so ahead of elsewhere.

Very humid yesterday but with next to no sun the temp topped out at 65, TD about the same. All that moisture could only bring 0.04" precip. Did not notice anything skyward this morning.

I'm headed to Bar Harbor this weekend, I'm hoping some of Acadia is showing.

Man the wind today at the ski resort is nuts. Cars just rocking in the parking lots as the wind funnels out of the Notch.

Base area is seeing sustained 15-20, gusting 30-40, maybe even higher at times. Upper mountain is sustained in the 30s, gusting 50mph.

With the cold temps ranging from 37-47F, definitely feels like fall out there.

I'm headed to Bar Harbor this weekend, I'm hoping some of Acadia is showing.

Hardwoods trying to grow on ledge there should be bright, but regular upland forest on deep soil will probably show only modest change. Hope I'm wrong...

Wind gusts over 30 brought down some leaves - the white ash next to our service entry is 95% bare.

Hardwoods trying to grow on ledge there should be bright, but regular upland forest on deep soil will probably show only modest change. Hope I'm wrong...

Wind gusts over 30 brought down some leaves - the white ash next to our service entry is 95% bare.

I'm hoping for just enough to make my pictures interesting. If I can sneak away in the next couple of weeks though I might try and hike Sunapee and see what it has to offer closer to peak.

Archived