• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
And we begin

Am I the only one concerned with that large patch of Above Average SSTA in the Arctic Ocean above the UK?

sst_anomaly_2006_197_lrg.jpg

I'm not sure where you got that from, but there is no way that is current. That shows a strongly -PDO signature in the North Pacific and we basically have the opposite right now. Also, the warmth you are describing up near Svalbard and north of Scandanavia is not on other SST datasets...it is actually cold up there right now.

satanom_arc_d_00.png

But this is off topic for this thread. We are discussing snow cover and snow advance.

This is a topic for a different thread.

• Replies 565
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure where you got that from, but there is no way that is current. That shows a strongly -PDO signature in the North Pacific and we basically have the opposite right now. Also, the warmth you are describing up near Svalbard and north of Scandanavia is not on other SST datasets...it is actually cold up there right now.

satanom_arc_d_00.png

But this is off topic for this thread. We are discussing snow cover and snow advance.

This is a topic for a different thread.

sorry.. 

anomnight.10.30.2014.gif

Hudson Bay is warm on this map, the area above UK is also warm...but yeah...the other map seems really different for some reason. Is that a recent temp change?

The original map I questioned looks like an old AMSR-E map from NASA...but AMSR-E went out in October 2011, so we haven't had any of those for 3 years.

There's no need to worry about the snow loss in Scandinavia. Most of it is North of 60N. PLUS, and more importantly, this is exactly the response we should be looking for. The snow pack in Siberia promotes a mid-level trough above it which forces upstream ridging (see Cohen et al. 2014) over Scandinavia and the Barents and Kara Seas. And this is exactly where we want ridging to produce upward vertical wave activity (see Feldstein and Lee 2014) which disrupts the polar vortex and forces a negative AO.

This is the full 1-16 day average on the GFS Ensemble...it appears to show the type of response you mention here baggett.

4YU45Va.gif

We've lost quite a bit the last two days. When this loop loads, I just use the backward arrow to get to the last few days. Only the 31st is missing from the loop now.

http://www.daculaweather.com/4_sample_loop2.php

Here's a snapshot of the health of the snowpack for today so we can guesstimate where losses will be on the 31st maps.  Still torching in the west.  This image is from 2am EST last night.  

post-109-0-83185300-1414768591_thumb.png

Here's the scale.  Remember 273°K is 0°K/32°F, right where the yellows transition to orange.

post-109-0-01819700-1414768849_thumb.png

Here's a snapshot of the health of the snowpack for today so we can guesstimate where losses will be on the 31st maps.  Still torching in the west.  This image is from 2am EST last night. 

Here's the scale.  Remember 273°K is 0°K/32°F, right where the yellows transition to orange.

Das, what web site is that from?

Another web site that I found recently, the Canadian Cryospheric Information Network page: https://www.ccin.ca/home/

We've lost quite a bit the last two days. When this loop loads, I just use the backward arrow to get to the last few days. Only the 31st is missing from the loop now.

http://www.daculaweather.com/4_sample_loop2.php

Per Natice's 10/31 map vs. 10/30, there was another rather significant drop on the western flank for the last day of the month. The western flank has taken a pretty substantial hit since 10/27 though with much of it above 60N. However, in today's case, a large portion of the losses was below 60N. It is possible that 0.5 msk or even more than that was lost from below 60N. Nevertheless, cfbaggett uses regression to chart trend lines as per the prescribed SAI methodology. So, whereas this should cause a reduction in the slope of the trend line, I'm assuming it will be rather minimal. Also, he and others have been saying that things have already been set in motion from the earlier very high max set 10/27. So, if that is the case, then these last few days of melting would seemingly hardly matter. Does anyone disagree?

Due to the regression, it would be hard to make a case that it matters. Both statistically and from a physical standpoint of the processes set in motion, this year doesn't seem too different than other top years. 1976 also had a reduction in snow cover from late Oct through early November.

Is this really anything for us to worry about? I just looked and a significant portion melted away. Too late to matter?

Due to the regression, it would be hard to make a case that it matters. Both statistically and from a physical standpoint of the processes set in motion, this year doesn't seem too different than other top years. 1976 also had a reduction in snow cover from late Oct through early November.

Is this really anything for us to worry about? I just looked and a significant portion melted away. Too late to matter?

Yeah I saw that..just a little worried, but overall it seems were still on track. Hope it stays that way and doesn't go ape on us.

Yeah I saw that..just a little worried, but overall it seems were still on track. Hope it stays that way and doesn't go ape on us.

You're missing the point, and apparently haven't read the whole thread.  The October Eurasian snow cover watch ends today, and the stratospheric results should already be in the pipeline if the theory holds.   What happens on the ground in November is of little importance. 

You're missing the point, and apparently haven't read the whole thread.  The October Eurasian snow cover watch ends today, and the stratospheric results should already be in the pipeline if the theory holds.   What happens on the ground in November is of little importance. 

You're missing the point to, and apparently haven't read what I just said, the "Hope it stays that way" was not about the snow cover, but that everything stays on track this winter to make it memorable.

Even though it apparently doesn't matter much and may actually be a good sign that the process is already proceeding, I still think it is noteworthy for the record that ~~3 msk (per my rough estimate) was lost from the western flank for all of Eurasia since the 10/26 peak (~~ half of that lost below 60N), which I roughly estimate was near a VERY impressive (and probably 2nd highest for that date), 19 msk. So, I'm very roughly guessing that total Eurasian SCE is now 16 msk to end Oct. in case anyone cares. I don't know but that big loss may ironically be a good sign per what I've read here fwiw.

2009 and 2012 oct 31, as we can see, oct 2014 beats them all despite the melt.

AH,

It looks like you're comparing total Eurasian SCE on these maps. Regardless of whether or not it matters much (assuming not), I honestly don't think 2014 beats 2012 and 2009 in total Eurasian snowcover as of 10/31 thanks to what I'm estimating was ~3 msk loss since 10/26 to ~16 msk. Then, 2014 was well ahead.

AH,

It looks like you're comparing total Eurasian SCE on these maps. Regardless of whether or not it matters much, I honestly don't think 2014 beats 2012 and 2009 in total Eurasian snowcover as of 10/31 thanks to what I'm estimating was ~3 msk loss since 10/27 to ~16 msk. Then, 2014 was well ahead.

Actually I was eyeballing 60 and south. Regardless, SAI will likely take some hit with -3msk. How much of a hit? Comparing the 27th and today does look pretty catastrophic in terms of snow loss. We'll know soon enough.

Actually I was eyeballing 60 and south. Regardless, SAI will likely take some hit with -3msk. How much of a hit? Comparing the 27th and today does look pretty catastrophic in terms of snow loss. We'll know soon enough.

For 60 south, I agree that 2014 SCE beats 2012 SCE as of 10/31 and is close to 2009, perhaps even slightly ahead of it. The really great news is that as of 10/26 and nearby days, 2014 was WAY ahead of both for sub 60 N! So, due to the use of regression to determine slope for SAI, 2014 still looks to finish at least near 2009 (I think) and only behind 1976 I think. That is the most important thing with regard to SAI.

And so October ends...

Amazing month. The slope, as I calculate it, was 295,000 km^2/day. Thus, it appears we can predict with reasonable confidence a strongly negative AO winter.

Let's watch how the pattern evolves over the next few weeks. Heck, maybe instead folks in the Southeast should simply look out the window. Heavy snow in the low-country of South Carolina this morning!?!?!?!?!

post-7423-0-41278700-1414857172_thumb.jp

And so October ends...

Amazing month. The slope, as I calculate it, was 295,000 km^2/day. Thus, it appears we can predict with reasonable confidence a strongly negative AO winter.

Let's watch how the pattern evolves over the next few weeks. Heck, maybe instead folks in the Southeast should simply look out the window. Heavy snow in the low-country of South Carolina this morning!?!?!?!?!

Thanks for the update.  Linear regression line FTW.  Yep, Nov 1 snow deep into SC...

B1_Wv_LAb_IYAEAsx9.jpg

And so October ends...

Amazing month. The slope, as I calculate it, was 295,000 km^2/day. Thus, it appears we can predict with reasonable confidence a strongly negative AO winter.

Let's watch how the pattern evolves over the next few weeks. Heck, maybe instead folks in the Southeast should simply look out the window. Heavy snow in the low-country of South Carolina this morning!?!?!?!?!

Cfbaggett,

The earliest on record low 500 mb hts back to 1948 were beaten at ATL and are being obliterated between 12Z today and 0Z tonight for the AGS/COLA/SAV/CHS corridor. So, all of these are essentially once in a lifetime records.

Essentially, this is saying that this is the strongest 500 mb low this far south this early since at least 1948!

I see there was a whopping 2 msk drop south of 60N over the last days of the month( no surprise), but that the slope being derived via the linear regression required to satisfy the SAI def. is showing only a small drop due to it as expected, which is good news. Thanks for posting these.

Archived