Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
And we begin

• Replies 565
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is my guess as well... We will know in a few days if anything seems off... I will post the day to day link on here from the site I. Am using... That will be a good benchmark since they did not experience the mysterious outage....

After looking at model data and seeing way, way above normal 850's and sfc temperatures being shown over Scandinavia as well as much of E Europe incl. western Russia, I now feel more confident about the massive amount of melting in that area. So, I do expect you'll see losses once your maps update. Furthermore, with that major warm anomaly moving eastward, I'm now thinking there may be some more significant SC losses over the next three days further east, including some south of 60N. Yep, the indices may take a pretty sig. hit from the great levels of recent days. I never knew that following SC could be so fascinating. ;)

After looking at model data and seeing way, way above normal 850's and sfc temperatures being shown over Scandinavia as well as much of E Europe incl. western Russia, I now feel more confident about the massive amount of melting in that area. So, I do expect you'll see losses once your maps update. Furthermore, with that major warm anomaly moving eastward, I'm now thinking there may be some more significant SC losses over the next three days further east, including some south of 60N. Yep, the indices may take a pretty sig. hit from the great levels of recent days. I never knew that following SC could be so fascinating. ;)

So will the snow need to pile back up in November to have a great winter???

Updated graph. More than I estimated through the 27th. I guess I pulled a Scotty. The snow cover will probably drop a little bit on the 28th. I am still missing data the 20th through 22nd, so I linearly interpolated. Even if we hold even or fall back to 8 msk for the rest of the month, we still have a greater slope than 2009.

There's no need to worry about the snow loss in Scandinavia. Most of it is North of 60N. PLUS, and more importantly, this is exactly the response we should be looking for. The snow pack in Siberia promotes a mid-level trough above it which forces upstream ridging (see Cohen et al. 2014) over Scandinavia and the Barents and Kara Seas. And this is exactly where we want ridging to produce upward vertical wave activity (see Feldstein and Lee 2014) which disrupts the polar vortex and forces a negative AO.

All is good. It's time to turn our focus to the stratosphere.

post-7423-0-74630600-1414551115_thumb.jp

So will the snow need to pile back up in November to have a great winter???

1) I'm hoping this is, indeed, happening too late to have much effect on winter prospects for a strong -AO. I'd like to hear MillWx's thoughts on this. I suspect he'll say it doesn't matter that much.

2) November snow doesn't help much per Millwx. At some point, he said it actually hurts!

Cfbaggett,

You da man! I feel a lot better that you underestimated and that it was all of the way up to 9.8 as of yesterday. Folks, keep in mind that his old chart stopped at 9 msk. It looks like there have been four days of 1.0+ gains this Oct. That's more than any other year on this chart. It looks like 2014 could lose 1.1 from here and still be at ~2009 levels for SAI. So, at least there is some room to play with as it drops back. Let's see if it holds up enough. Also, as you're saying, it may not matter much this late in the month. I wonder what Cohen, himself, will say about this. You're not him, are you? ;)

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO....

snow loses  in Scandinavia   is  100%  irrelevant  

Updated graph. More than I estimated through the 27th. I guess I pulled a Scotty. The snow cover will probably drop a little bit on the 28th. I am still missing data the 20th through 22nd, so I linearly interpolated. Even if we hold even or fall back to 8 msk for the rest of the month, we still have a greater slope than 2009.

Thanks for the update baggett, awesome work as usual.  Per your update, this would be the second highest snow advance south of 60N (SAI) since 1973, with Oct 1976 in the top spot (prior to 1997, weekly snow cover data was used as opposed to daily).

Cfbaggett,

You da man! I feel a lot better that you underestimated and that it was all of the way up to 9.8 as of yesterday. Folks, keep in mind that his old chart stopped at 9 msk. It looks like there have been four days of 1.0+ gains. That's more than any other year on this chart. It looks like 2014 could lose 1.1 from here and still be at ~2009 levels for SAI. So, at least there is some room to play with as it drops back. Let's see if it holds up enough.

At this point, does it really matter if it finishes ahead or just behind 2009 other than for trivial purposes?

The signal is going to be for a strong -AO unless you are nervous about some catastrophic meltdown to like 6 million sq km.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO....

snow loses  in Scandinavia   is  100%  irrelevant  

For the most part I agree since I consider SAI a better indicator for winter AO than SCE. Also, I realize it may even be too late for the overall SCE losses to have much impact, regardless, as cfbaggett suggested. However, I'd still like to hear what Millwx has to say.

At this point, does it really matter if it finishes ahead or just behind 2009 other than for trivial purposes?

The signal is going to be for a strong -AO unless you are nervous about some catastrophic meltdown to like 6 million sq km.

Assuming no catastrophic meltdown, I doubt it, but it is interesting to compare nevertheless since that is the king of SAI's amongst the years on his map and one of the tops of any years.

There's no need to worry about the snow loss in Scandinavia. Most of it is North of 60N. PLUS, and more importantly, this is exactly the response we should be looking for. The snow pack in Siberia promotes a mid-level trough above it which forces upstream ridging (see Cohen et al. 2014) over Scandinavia and the Barents and Kara Seas. And this is exactly where we want ridging to produce upward vertical wave activity (see Feldstein and Lee 2014) which disrupts the polar vortex and forces a negative AO.

That is a beautiful chart.  :thumbsup:

I think I need to take a step back and not panic...a lot can change.... What is a good benchmark for Nov to keep and eye on for te trend???

Look at the stratosphere in November...the Eurasian snow cover should help induce heat flux into the lower stratosphere by mid to late November...you want to see warmer lower stratospheric temps in eastern Siberia in November. It's not a lock, but it greatly improves the chances for a -AO in the winter.

Look at the stratosphere in November...the Eurasian snow cover should help induce heat flux into the lower stratosphere by mid to late November...you want to see warmer lower stratospheric temps in eastern Siberia in November. It's not a lock, but it greatly improves the chances for a -AO in the winter.

Thanks for the tip... I will keep an eye on that...

2009-10 DJF actually had a more negative AO than 1976-77 DJF, the former with -3.4 average and the latter with a -2.6 average. Both years were Nino's occurring in a moderate/strongly -QBO regime as well as a solar minimum. 2009-10 of course was a much stronger El Nino event, which likely significantly aided in the stratospheric warming mechanics and thus forcing an overall more negative AO. Either way, both winter seasons were extremely impressive for their blocking.

Can we get a NSFW tag on that chart?

Archived