• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
And we begin

From weatherdude in outage thread about an hour ago:

"Further the NESDIS snow report server is back on line and I am quite certain that unless Rutger's has data backlog issues, they should have a new report for snow cover out after Midnight."

Keep hope alive. ;)

Edit: Weatherdude, are you saying that the Natice data will be available? I thought NESDIS data has been available per posts of maps here. Are these different?

http://www.nohrsc.noaa.gov/nh_snowcover/

This is online

• Replies 565
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From weatherdude in outage thread about an hour ago:

"Further the NESDIS snow report server is back on line and I am quite certain that unless Rutger's has data backlog issues, they should have a new report for snow cover out after Midnight."

Keep hope alive. ;)

Edit: Weatherdude, are you saying that the Natice data will be available? I thought NESDIS data has been available per posts of maps here.

This data came back today after stopping when Rutgers went out of biz last Monday. Same data Rutgers uses:

ftp://sidads.colorado.edu/DATASETS/NOAA/G02156/4km/

Nat Ice seems to be in process of coming back, but may have different issues.

and Rutgers is already posting some images, including yesterday's NH snow:

http://climate.rutgers.edu/snowcover/

Hmmm, I'd be wary about that Rutgers 10/27 map. Did anyone else notice that the it has almost no SC over Finland and SE of there? It looks like there's missing data there. Note that that area was solidly covered every day 10/13-19 on Rutgers' as well as other maps going through today! How could there be an absence of SC there on yesterday's Rutgers map? I think there is something wrong at least in that area.

Any comments? Anyone else see this?

Edit: Also, see posted map just above this post.

Well, well, well...welcome back to public visibility IMS! Now lets see how long it takes for them to get the NATICE server back up and publicly operational.

As for the snow melt in Scandinavia and Western Russia, appears a pretty potent shortwave went through the area over the past two days with strong warm advection and warm (mid 40 rains). Enough to result in substantial snowmelt due to the rain moving through the snow pack and helping to disperse the "heat" into the snow. Should be some new snow to Northern Scandinavia over the next day or two. We will have to see how quickly it fills back in and if it makes it before the October 31st deadline!

Regardless, good to have the IMS back on the web!

Hmmm, I'd be wary about that Rutgers 10/27 map. Did anyone else notice that the it has almost no SC over Finland and SE of there? It looks like there's missing data there. Note that that area was solidly covered every day 10/13-19 on Rutgers' as well as other maps going through today! How could there be an absence of SC there on yesterday's Rutgers map? I think there is something wrong at least in that area.

Any comments? Anyone else see this?

Edit: Also, see posted map just above this post.

It was stolen by Canada, haha. The loses in those areas look bad but a lot of it was N of 60. Also there were significant gains; more importantly S of 60 in Russia and Manchuria and above the Caspian Sea.

Well, well, well...welcome back to public visibility IMS! Now lets see how long it takes for them to get the NATICE server back up and publicly operational.

As for the snow melt in Scandinavia and Western Russia, appears a pretty potent shortwave went through the area over the past two days with strong warm advection and warm (mid 40 rains). Enough to result in substantial snowmelt due to the rain moving through the snow pack and helping to disperse the "heat" into the snow. Should be some new snow to Northern Scandinavia over the next day or two. We will have to see how quickly it fills back in and if it makes it before the October 31st deadline!

Regardless, good to have the IMS back on the web!

Yeah, a second even more potent system moves thru the Baffin Bay the next two days sending a slug of warmth out of continental Europe into Western Russia.

I still think this is inconsequential in terms of the mechanism of action considering most of this snow being melted just fell recently and it's very far W/SW from most normal above snow cover extent years.

But it's going to mess with the indices. 

KU9fgub.gif?1

U5aoUWO.gif?1

7BItXUr.gif?1

Wtf? Ok, what in the Wide, Wide World of Sports is a going on here?? I'm referring to the map Orangeburg just posted as of 10/28, that shows hardly any losses over Scandinavia and SE of there!

Odd indeed. One of these maps is wrong

I played the day by day in a loop... There was some loss... But not as much as I was expecting... I think that since NATICE and Rutgers just came back online, there might still be some glitches in their maps... The site that has this image was up during the outage so I think it is more correct.

It says 10/27 not 10/28

Friv,

But even the loop you posted shows the snow is already gone from Scandinavia and nearby by 10/27! It was there 10/26 and then was suddenly gone 10/27. Was there a massive rainstorm on. 10/26/7? And why do other maps still have the SC there? Something really doesn't smell right here. I'm going back to my earlier thought. Is there, indeed, missing Natice SC data in that area for whatever reason??

Not that it proves anything either way, this map from Environment Canada shows just about nothing in Scandinavia. Keep the temperatures in mind. It is way over normal in Finland and has been for a couple of days, and snow was not well established there. Ski reports show next to nothing and minimum temperatures there tonight are falling only to about 50 at the lowest in the southern half of the nation.

And does Scan matter so much? Rutgers anomaly maps are back and in a hasty leaf through the last 15 years this year looks like the king for Eurasia snow cover!

Note that for most of Scandinavia, snow cover is not even normal yet as of yesterday...

post-2744-0-04444000-1414548895_thumb.gi

post-2744-0-58446000-1414549434_thumb.gi

Friv,

But even the loop you posted shows the snow is already gone from Scandinavia and nearby by 10/27! It was there 10/26 and then was suddenly gone 10/27. Was there a massive rainstorm on. 10/26/7? And why do other maps still have the SC there? Something really doesn't smell right here. I'm going back to my earlier thought. Is there, indeed, missing Natice SC data in that area for whatever reason??

Yeah there was definitely some rain with the pulse of WAA between the vortex and ridge.

1414544315620234909325005_zps0dda104d.gi

Friv,

That is my guess as well... We will know in a few days if anything seems off... I will post the day to day link on here from the site I. Am using... That will be a good benchmark since they did not experience the mysterious outage....

Yeah there was definitely some rain with the pulse of WAA between the vortex and ridge.

1414544315620234909325005_zps0dda104d.gi

So if that is the case and the SC map from the site I use shows the snow disappearing tomorrow, I will know that I am a day behind. One interesting thing about that animation is the snow loss in Russia and the growth in Canada, meanwhile the artic is completely covered in ice... This sounds like the well below normal temps this weekend is an early indication that is going to be an epic winter for the south..

Archived