joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
September Discusssion--winter bound or bust

moneypitmike

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All joking aside, what is the impact besides lawns? Are there drinking water restrictions or anything?

All the ponds are low..and reservoirs I drove by in Vernon and Bolton/Manchester are low exposing rocks and Earth. Manchester has issued a water restriction. Not mandatory..but voluntary as they are now down below 80%.

The biggest effect so far is on the foliage/trees/shrubs and lawns. Leaf change way way ahead of schedule and some pretty good leaf drop on certain species

It's actually pretty noticeable around here. Ponds and reservoirs to the point of boulders and rocks exposed. Probably a few Indian artifacts unearthed lol.

So you've driven by the Great Pond Reservoir in Braintree/Randolph lol.  I drive by Whitman's Pond in your hometown once a week and every time I go by, more and more of the boat ramp is exposed.   My bad luck from earlier in the summer changed a bit this month, looks like I'm at the monthly jackpot in Norfolk County, 0.51" IMBY, precip analysis map confirms that.  Most of that came from some good luck from the Sept 6th event, followed by another 0.2" this past Saturday.  Not that is anything to be proud of, I've only had 2.72" since Arthur! 

What I don't get is why the drought monitor continues to have us at only "Abnormally Dry."  I would think at this point we would at least be at moderate drought. 

So you've driven by the Great Pond Reservoir in Braintree/Randolph lol. I drive by Whitman's Pond in your hometown once a week and every time I go by, more and more of the boat ramp is exposed. My bad luck from earlier in the summer changed a bit this month, looks like I'm at the monthly jackpot in Norfolk County, 0.51" IMBY, precip analysis map confirms that. Most of that came from some good luck from the Sept 6th event, followed by another 0.2" this past Saturday. Not that is anything to be proud of, I've only had 2.72" since Arthur!

What I don't get is why the drought monitor continues to have us at only "Abnormally Dry." I would think at this point we would at least be at moderate drought.

Well one reason is that those maps aren't equipped to handle mesoscale areas that are drier than the overall area. Also, you need an extended period of time as well to qualify.

I forgot CT had a record rainfall year in 2011, on the heels of the 2008 record rainfall year.

Been a wet decade, I'm sure a few dry months are bound to happen, or even a dry year or two to balance it out.

RECORD EVENT REPORT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE TAUNTON MA

535 PM EST SUN JAN 1 2012

...YEARLY RAINFALL RECORD SET AT WINDSOR LOCKS...

THE 2011 RAINFALL TOTAL AT BRADLEY INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT IN WINDSOR

LOCKS WAS 69.23 INCHES. THE NORMAL YEARLY RAINFALL IS 45.85 INCHES

BASED ON THE 1981 TO 2010 NORMALS. THE 2011 TOTAL SETS A RECORD FOR

YEARLY RAINFALL FOR THE HARTFORD AREA. THE PREVIOUS RECORD WAS 65.35

INCHES SET IN 2008.

RECORDS FOR THE HARTFORD AREA DATE BACK TO 1905.

So you've driven by the Great Pond Reservoir in Braintree/Randolph lol. I drive by Whitman's Pond in your hometown once a week and every time I go by, more and more of the boat ramp is exposed. My bad luck from earlier in the summer changed a bit this month, looks like I'm at the monthly jackpot in Norfolk County, 0.51" IMBY, precip analysis map confirms that. Most of that came from some good luck from the Sept 6th event, followed by another 0.2" this past Saturday. Not that is anything to be proud of, I've only had 2.72" since Arthur!

What I don't get is why the drought monitor continues to have us at only "Abnormally Dry." I would think at this point we would at least be at moderate drought.

I actually was referring to the one in Hingham. I live not too far from Whitman's pond. When we moved here last year, I remember being worried about water as we actually saw the house in a tstm with very heavy rain. I was very detailed in looking for any signs of water in the basement. Not this summer. :lol:

So you've driven by the Great Pond Reservoir in Braintree/Randolph lol.  I drive by Whitman's Pond in your hometown once a week and every time I go by, more and more of the boat ramp is exposed.   My bad luck from earlier in the summer changed a bit this month, looks like I'm at the monthly jackpot in Norfolk County, 0.51" IMBY, precip analysis map confirms that.  Most of that came from some good luck from the Sept 6th event, followed by another 0.2" this past Saturday.  Not that is anything to be proud of, I've only had 2.72" since Arthur! 

What I don't get is why the drought monitor continues to have us at only "Abnormally Dry."  I would think at this point we would at least be at moderate drought. 

Your short-term indicators are dry, but over the long term, no.

Short:

jl2k95.gif

201408.gif

Long:

jkelg0.jpg

Your biggest hit is in the soil moisture:

CONUS.MEXICO.vic.sm_qnt.gif

All this really means its not affecting much else yet outside of river levels and soil moisture. No drought impacts to agriculture or hydrology, economy, or ecology.

I forgot CT had a record rainfall year in 2011, on the heels of the 2008 record rainfall year.

Been a wet decade, I'm sure a few dry months are bound to happen, or even a dry year or two to balance it out.

RECORD EVENT REPORT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE TAUNTON MA

535 PM EST SUN JAN 1 2012

...YEARLY RAINFALL RECORD SET AT WINDSOR LOCKS...

THE 2011 RAINFALL TOTAL AT BRADLEY INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT IN WINDSOR

LOCKS WAS 69.23 INCHES. THE NORMAL YEARLY RAINFALL IS 45.85 INCHES

BASED ON THE 1981 TO 2010 NORMALS. THE 2011 TOTAL SETS A RECORD FOR

YEARLY RAINFALL FOR THE HARTFORD AREA. THE PREVIOUS RECORD WAS 65.35

INCHES SET IN 2008.

RECORDS FOR THE HARTFORD AREA DATE BACK TO 1905.

Yeah regression to the mean. That doesn't bother me, but I wish we had more than a top soil wetter since July 4th.

Short:

jl2k95.gif

201408.gif

Long:

jkelg0.jpg

All this really means its not affecting much else yet outside of river levels and soil moisture. No drought impacts to agriculture or hydrology, economy, or ecology.

It's effecting it now. Crops and now maybe cranberries could be effected. It was topsoil, but it's pretty dry here.

Short:

jl2k95.gif

201408.gif

Long:

jkelg0.jpg

there seems to be a lack of understanding of what drought really is. Thanks for adding this, a quick look through ground water recording stations show they are lower than normal but not unusually so. Fall fire season is a month away and a couple of inches of rain will literally put a damper on any high risk.

It's effecting it now. Crops and now maybe cranberries could be effected. It was topsoil, but it's pretty dry here.

None that have been reported ;) haha. And definitely not saying it hasn't been dry. The short term indicators reflect that too, just explaining why it hasn't reached the "Moderate Drought" level in the grand scheme of things. Of course, another month of dry weather could change it.

there seems to be a lack of understanding of what drought really is. Thanks for adding this, a quick look through ground water recording stations show they are lower than normal but not unusually so. Fall fire season is a month away and a couple of inches of rain will literally put a damper on any high risk.

Yeah, see: California lol.

Archived