Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Spring

mreaves

• Replies 817
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is that Ragged Mtn off in the distance?

Yes Coastal, that is Ragged.  You can't see it on this low resolution picture but I can see the top half of Sunapee to the right of Ragged. That is probably 40 miles to my SW.  One day I got to post a high resolution of my view so you can see Sunapee too.

Yes Coastal, that is Ragged.  You can't see it on this low resolution picture but I can see the top half of Sunapee to the right of Ragged. That is probably 40 miles to my SW.  One day I got to post a high resolution of my view so you can see Sunapee too.

That's pretty cool. Awesome views.

32.7/28F  had light rain, nothing at the moment. Should be falling below 32F next hour or two.  Sleet or freezing rain redeveloping??

Looking at the MWN autoroad profile, everything is below freezing up to the summit which is at 16F so I would expect sleet to start soon.

Do you have the link to that? That's a really nice tool to use actually to see the warm layer. Top of MWN is around 800mb usually.

Meh...nothing exciting here. 36F here at the house and raining. Precip is moving quickly, this could be all done by midnight haha.

Locally it's 26F at 4,000ft and 32F at 2,100ft...so something is happening in the mountain elevations, but my guess is ZR as the Mansfield anemometer is starting to crap out, meaning ice accumulations.

Do you have the link to that? That's a really nice tool to use actually to see the warm layer. Top of MWN is around 800mb usually.

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/mesonet/?z=3

With that temp profile one would assume it must be sleeting at Pinkham Notch at 1,600ft. That's cold aloft if those MWN temps are correct. I'm wondering if there's sleet up at the office here in Stowe as there is at least a 2-3,000ft thick sub-freezing layer in the 25-30F range. I'd assume it's sleet above my head and our 36F boundary layer temp is melting the pellets.

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/mesonet/?z=3

With that temp profile one would assume it must be sleeting at Pinkham Notch at 1,600ft. That's cold aloft if those MWN temps are correct. I'm wondering if there's sleet up at the office here in Stowe as there is at least a 2-3,000ft thick sub-freezing layer in the 25-30F range. I'd assume it's sleet above my head and our 36F boundary layer temp is melting the pellets.

That's really cold for MWN....according to the RAP sounding, MWN should have a warm layer above freezing starting at about 6,000 feet at 1z....that is 9pm.

I'm having a hard time reconciling how it can be that much colder than the models. 17F is like -8C, lol. Something definitely isn't adding up.

There's a healthy slug of moisture about to move in, so we'll hae to see what is falling out of that when it gets up there.

The RAP actually starts the warm layer out pretty potent and then it cools it to a parachute sounding around MWN and SR by 10pm.

The only thing that is bizarre is that the sounding doesn't match the obs on MWN...the summit should be like +1C right now...and its not even close. But yet, they are reporting PL/ZR, so there must be some warmth just above them...its just bizarre that it doesn't show up whatsoever on the mountain...the summit is the coldest spot.

GFS was pretty darn cold just above 850...but judging by the sounding..it should be warmer on MWN as well. It seems like those cold pools below 800mb are always underestimated by models when you have east winds banking up against the mtns and sort of expanding that cool pool a bit more in height, as compared to what models show. You can almost always bank on that to a point.

Archived