• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

totals around here seemed affected by mix, even as of my 5 oclock ride

home on rt 20 it was sleeting more than snowing.  temps were high 20's by

then, but there must have been warm air above before the real cold

air pushed thru

I am calling 12.5" IMBY....liquid equivalent of about 1.4

Check KSYR's climo report for yday...3.13" liquid and 12.1" snow? I can believe the SN, but the melted total looks way high.

Definitely something fishy with that report. Rochester reported 14.9 inches of snow on only 0.76 inches of liquid. I know the beginning of the storm was rain in Syracuse but the 3.13 liquid is such an outlier compared to the neighboring stations. Even the greatest Cocorahs report locally is 1.7 inches at Fulton.

Not too shabby... :whistle:

Well done!

NEW YORK

...ERIE COUNTY...

BUFFALO 13.8 800 AM 3/13 NWS OFFICE

...JEFFERSON COUNTY...

WATERTOWN 11.2 950 AM 3/13 SOCIAL MEDIA

...LIVINGSTON COUNTY...

8 S LIVONIA 14.0 900 AM 3/13 TRAINED SPOTTER

...MONROE COUNTY...

HAMLIN BEACH 18.5 840 AM 3/13 TRAINED SPOTTER

ROCHESTER INTL ARPT 16.2 800 AM 3/13 ASOS

PENFIELD 15.0 1020 AM 3/13 NWS EMPLOYEE

...ONTARIO COUNTY...

GENEVA 14.5 243 AM 3/13 TRAINED SPOTTER

...OSWEGO COUNTY...

OSWEGO 8.0 1055 PM 3/12 TRAINED SPOTTER

...WYOMING COUNTY...

PORTAGEVILLE 13.5 851 AM 3/13 STORM CHASER

We got skunked here in Ithaca with 3" and a whole lotta rain and mixed precip before that. On top of the soft muck is about 1" of mixed non-snow frozen precip with 2" of actual snow on top of that. Yesterday you would walk and your boots would sink down to the muck. I tried to xc ski yesterday and it was ok, but the pins and needles coming out of the sky were painful on the face. Today it is set up, dust on crust. Thankfully the Finger Lakes are putting off some snow and giving us a little more.

What I want to know is, when are we going to get some more substantial snow here? What we got will not last through the weekend of above freezing temps.

And SYR had 12.1 at midnight....not sure how they got 0.0 since then...I live a few miles from the airport and put up another couple inches...so...not that I would be claiming any skill between those numbers anyway.

The Buffalo folks should certainly be satisfied!!

Maybe my standards were too high with this storm but i thought we would experience something worse than the early Jan event. :arrowhead: Nonetheless this was a great whopper in terms of snowfall, I believe last time we got over a foot with a synoptic was back in Dec'12.

Maybe my standards were too high with this storm but i thought we would experience something worse than the early Jan event. :arrowhead: Nonetheless this was a great whopper in terms of snowfall, I believe last time we got over a foot with a synoptic was back in Dec'12.

Why would you think that btw? The winds were NE in this storm, the last were SW coming up the entire fetch of Lake Erie which enhanced the winds. The winds in the January storm were 40-55+ for nearly 2 straight days with 1-2 inches of snow per hour for 24 hours.

Maybe my standards were too high with this storm but i thought we would experience something worse than the early Jan event. :arrowhead:Nonetheless this was a great whopper in terms of snowfall, I believe last time we got over a foot with a synoptic was back in Dec'12.

geeze man, just about anyone would have told you that wasn't going to happen lol. 

Some decent trends on the possible Monday system over the past 12 hours...not quite enough for us, yet.  I'd favor the Mid-Atlantic or SNE at this time.  

geeze man, just about anyone would have told you that wasn't going to happen lol. 

Some decent trends on the possible Monday system over the past 12 hours...not quite enough for us, yet.  I'd favor the Mid-Atlantic or SNE at this time.  

Where would you classify the January Blizzard in terms of all the snowstorms you've witnessed?

Where would you classify the January Blizzard in terms of all the snowstorms you've witnessed

That's really tough.  Keep in mind I went to SUNY Oswego from 2003-2007, also.  It's probably in the top 5.  October 2006, November 2000, February 2007, January 2004, and the blizzard, not necessarily in that order. 

Dec. 2001? Dec 1995?

December 1995 I feel like I was just a touch too young to fully appreciate.  For some reason, December 2001 just doesn't make the list for me.  In terms of total snowfall, February 2007 surpassed it, and we received more in a 24 hr period in Oswego during that storm than BUF did in Dec 2001.

Perhaps I'd feel differently if I lived in Cheektowaga, but I lived in Riverside during Dec, 2001, and we received "only" about 50"

I think my top 5 are...

1.) Dec. 2001- Just for the sheer mass of snow in the amount of time. 82 inches of snow in 5 days. Will never happen again

2.) October 2006- 2 feet of snow on October 12th with all the leaves on the trees. Again, never going to happen again.

3.) January Blizzard of 2014- 2 feet of snow, temperatures from 0 to -5, wind chills -30, winds sustained at 25-40 mph with gusts around 50 for almost 2 straight days.

4.) Dec. 1995- nearly 39 inches of snow in 24 hours. Was 8 years old during this storm, it is what got me interested in weather. I jumped off my uncles house on the 2nd floor into a giant pile of snow. Will never forget this storm

5.) Nov. 2000/Dec 2010- tied for me. I lived in Cheektowaga/amherst border for the 2000 storm and Northern OP for the 2010 storm. The NWS asked people to keep track of thunder heard during the Dec. 2010 event. I just found the document today. I kept a log of it posted below.

12-01-2010

5:44 pm

5:48 pm

6:26 pm

6:54 pm

7:44 pm

8:10 pm

8:16 pm

8:23 pm

8:30 pm

8:31 pm

8:37 pm

8:38 pm

8:38 pm

8:41 pm

8:49 pm

9:39 pm

9:44 pm

9:59 pm

10:06 pm

12-02-2010

1:17 am

2:05 am

2:17 am

2:21 am

2:26 am

2:35 am

2:37 am

9:11 am

9:27 am

9:28 am

9:42 am

10:21am

10:22am

10:24am

10:26am

December 1995 I feel like I was just a touch too young to fully appreciate.  For some reason, December 2001 just doesn't make the list for me.  In terms of total snowfall, February 2007 surpassed it, and we received more in a 24 hr period in Oswego during that storm than BUF did in Dec 2001.

Perhaps I'd feel differently if I lived in Cheektowaga, but I lived in Riverside during Dec, 2001, and we received "only" about 50"

Yeah that makes sense. It seems I have been in pretty good locations for most of these storms haha.

Lived in west side of Buffalo for the 1995 event, Cheektowaga/Amherst border for 2000/2001/2006. Northern OP for 2010 and Hamburg for the 2014 events. The LES follows me. :snowing:

That must of been awesome to experience the 2007 storm, how much did Oswego receive during that? I know East Aurora had something like 45 inches from that storm.

Archived