57.7" 2009-10

57" 1966-67

55.9" 1957-58

54.6" 1960.61

54.2" 1904-05

50.5" 2202-03

47.8" 2013-14

47.6" 1977-78

I am not sure where measurements were taken.

As per David Robertson, NJ State Climatologist- 2-19-14-Asbury Park Press

These are NJ 10 Snowiest Winters -

62.8" 1995-96

58.1" 1898-99

57.7" 2009-10

57" 1966-67

55.9" 1957-58

54.6" 1960.61

54.2" 1904-05

50.5" 2202-03

47.8" 2013-14

47.6" 1977-78

I am not sure where measurements were taken.

20 Miles west its 65 .  Plenty of us in Western Monmouth all have similar numbers .

those numbers look odd.  62" in 1996?  there was way more than that.  if those numbers are from rutgers @ new brunswick (where Robertson works) it's closer to 75"

and how isnt 2011 on the list?... there was roughly 53" that year.

and they're not "NJ" records.  sussex county has had multiple 90"+ winters.

Yup that's a state wide average and includes SE Jersey which has a tropical climate. 

{http://www.app.com/article/20140217/NJNEWS/302170021/Local-weather-Some-snow-rain-coming-warmer-temps-will-follow}

ha ha ha tropical climate.  It's true though they have a totally different climate than the rest of the state, especially Cape May County.  Even in the summer the difference could be amazing.

As a Long Islander with family in Vernon, NJ (up near the old Vernon Valley/Great Gorge Ski Resort), as a kid I was often very jealous of my 'N&W' relatives who saw the snow when I saw rain.  Am really curious what their average snowfall is and their most ever on record.  If anyone has such information or can please point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated.

As a Long Islander with family in Vernon, NJ (up near the old Vernon Valley/Great Gorge Ski Resort), as a kid I was often very jealous of my 'N&W' relatives who saw the snow when I saw rain.  Am really curious what their average snowfall is and their most ever on record.  If anyone has such information or can please point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated.

most of the towns in sussex county that can be accounted for average about 40" of snow annually.

i know a couple of times in the last decade or so totals over 110" have been recorded in parts of sussex county but i cant remember the towns.  i remember alan kasper mentioning it on the radio.

You should ask this question in the NW thread since most who live in Sussex county post there. Vernon averages in the range of 45"-55" depending on elevation.

Elevation is key as snywx pointed out. The low lands of Sussex County generally average around 40" +/- a few inches while the higher elevations in the NE part of the county and toward the west generally averages upwards of 45-50" with spots of 55"+ as well in the highest spots.

Here's my map of the state's snowfall:

http://www.lightinthestorm.com/nj-snowfall

Elevation is key as snywx pointed out. The low lands of Sussex County generally average around 40" +/- a few inches while the higher elevations in the NE part of the county and toward the west generally averages upwards of 45-50" with spots of 55"+ as well in the highest spots.

Nice maps.

Only problem with your average annual map is that it should reflect the differences in snowfall between the northeast part of the state (Bergen/Hudson/Essex) and more central locations like Middlesex and Monmouth. With the exception of blowtorch winters, the differences between places like Newark and New Brunswick can be pretty significant. 

Right at the top of High Point (elevation 1801 feet)...the average annual snowfall is at least 60 inches per year...maybe a bit more. In N. Jersey, the general rule of thumb is a one inch increase in average annual snowfall for every 60 foot increase in altitude.

Nice work!

Nice maps.

Only problem with your average annual map is that it should reflect the differences in snowfall between the northeast part of the state (Bergen/Hudson/Essex) and more central locations like Middlesex and Monmouth. With the exception of blowtorch winters, the differences between places like Newark and New Brunswick can be pretty significant. 

what's the problem? you want 1" differences noted?  he has the area shaded for 27 to 30"  ....those are the averages.  they fall within that range.  in the last 15 years monmouth county probably averages more snow then any of the other counties you mentioned.  and the long term difference between newark and new brunswick is non existent.  weatherdb.com has the ave annual snowfall for newark as 28.5" and for new brunswick it's 28.4"

what's the problem? you want 1" differences noted?  he has the area shaded for 27 to 30"  ....those are the averages.  they fall within that range.  in the last 15 years monmouth county probably averages more snow then any of the other counties you mentioned.  and the long term difference between newark and new brunswick is non existent.  weatherdb.com has the ave annual snowfall for newark as 28.5" and for new brunswick it's 28.4"

Everybody knows that Newark really isn't a true reflection of the surrounding area given the UHI effect in the airport area. You're kind of comparing apples and oranges. New Brunswick has minimal UHI while Newark has some of the strongest UHI in the country. In reality the difference is more in the 5-10 range from I-78 up through the Palisades Interstate Parkway. I've made the commute from Norwood to New Brunswick for quite a few years and there were many times I had snow on the ground while New Brunswick had nothing. 

Everybody knows that Newark really isn't a true reflection of the surrounding area given the UHI effect in the airport area. You're kind of comparing apples and oranges. New Brunswick has minimal UHI while Newark has some of the strongest UHI in the country. In reality the difference is more in the 5-10 range from I-78 up through the Palisades Interstate Parkway. I've made the commute from Norwood to New Brunswick for quite a few years and there were many times I had snow on the ground while New Brunswick had nothing.

I disagree. I live 15 miles sw of ewr and my temps are considerably colder however in 9 winters my snowfall is very close to what ewr gets. New Brunswick probably slightly less but until you get elevation from say summit through cedar grove and up into Bergen cty amounts are fairly similar.

i mentioned newark because you specifically mentioned there being a difference bewteen newark and new brunswick. 

now Norwood is different.... you get more snow.... but the map shows you getting more snow.

another thing i've noticed is that while areas get more snow than others, it generally appears to the naked eye to be more than the averages indicate.  i live in e. brusnswick but work in hightstown.  there always seems to be more snow in east brunswick than hightstown, but the historical averages are probably only a couple of inches apart, max.

and let me be clear... i'm not really arguing with you at all.  i'm just putting a microscope over the situation and splitting hairs, because for some reason i find the topic interesting.  :popcorn:

Strongly agree greentube. The average snowfall for both Newark and New Brunswick is around 29". There may be occasional year to year variations obviously, but over the 30 year period 1981-2011, their averages are within an inch of each other. My 30 year average and running average in inland Monmouth is actually slightly higher than New Brunswick due to the active 2000-present period.

Norwood in NE Bergen County averages several inches more than both those places, generally 30-33".

i mentioned newark because you specifically mentioned there being a difference bewteen newark and new brunswick. 

now Norwood is different.... you get more snow.... but the map shows you getting more snow.

another thing i've noticed is that while areas get more snow than others, it generally appears to the naked eye to be more than the averages indicate.  i live in e. brusnswick but work in hightstown.  there always seems to be more snow in east brunswick than hightstown, but the historical averages are probably only a couple of inches apart, max.

and let me be clear... i'm not really arguing with you at all.  i'm just putting a microscope over the situation and splitting hairs, because for some reason i find the topic interesting.  :popcorn:

I can vouch for you that Hightstown is a micro climate snow pit. I drive threw every work day and the deference is real.

Archived