Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
2014 Mid-Atlantic Severe Discussion Thread

Kmlwx

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pattern next week might be interesting with upper ridge over the gulf and the strong flow between troughs on either side.  It's not your typical summer derecho pattern per se but it kinda has that look.. of course for now DC area north is kinda wedged in.

post-1615-0-37023700-1400214957_thumb.gi

EF0 confirmed early this morning near Middleburg

NWUS51 KLWX 162206
LSRLWX

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON DC
605 PM EDT FRI MAY 16 2014

..TIME... ...EVENT... ...CITY LOCATION... ...LAT.LON...
..DATE... ....MAG.... ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....
..REMARKS..

0331 AM TORNADO 3 E MIDDLEBURG 38.97N 77.69W
05/16/2014 LOUDOUN VA NWS EMPLOYEE

RESULTS OF RADAR...STORM REPORTS AND A DAMAGE SURVEY BY
NWS EMPLOYEES INDICATE TREE DAMAGE CONSISTENT WITH AN
EF0 TORNADO ALONG SALLY MILL ROAD AND LIGHT HORSE COURT
EAST OF MIDDLEBURG VIRGINIA. LARGE TREES WERE FOUND
UPROOTED IN DIFFERENT DIRECTIONS ALONG WITH LARGE
BRANCHES SNAPPED OR TWISTED.

&&

EVENT NUMBER LWX1400254

$

KWIDELSKI/CBARNES

LWX made quick mention of MCS remnants making it into the northern part of the area early Wednesday morning in their long term disco this morning:

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON DC
404 AM EDT SUN MAY 18 2014

<...>

TUE NGT INTO WED...SURFACE HIGH SLIPS OFF THE SOUTHEAST COAST AS
A MORE MOIST RETURN FLOW ADVANCES ALONG A WARM FRONT THAT EARLY
WED STRETCHES FROM ROUGHLY FROM WEST CENTRAL MD...NRN VA...SE MD.
SOME DIFFERENCES BETWEEN GLOBAL ENSEMBLES AND ECMWF ON JUST HOW
FAST THIS WARM FRONT CROSSES THE AREA. BEST BET IS BOUNDARY IS IN
PLACE SOMEWHERE ACROSS THE NE PORTION OF CWA EARLY WED. THEN DURING
THE AFTERNOON A WEAK UPPER LEVEL DISTURBANCE IN NW FLOW WILL CROSS
THE REGION AND BRING HIGHEST THREAT OF PRECIP TO NORTH AND NE
PORTIONS. THERE IS ALSO SOME CONCERN THAT UPSTREAM CONDITIONS OVER
THE GREAT LAKES COULD SUPPORT MCS ACTIVITY. SO IT WOULD NOT BE OUT
OF THE QUESTION TO SEE REMNANTS OF AN MCS IMPACT NORTHERN PORTIONS
OF THE CWA EARLY WED.

Anyone remember the june 1, 2012 severe weather outbreak? if so, what time did it occur? The flow was really weak at 00Z but strenghtened by 12Z.

Started pretty early. Remember eating late breakfast in Amarillo as tor warnings were starting up in NW burbs. That was more of a classic pattern for a tornado event with a strong 500 low passing NE into the SE lakes. This looks more like a NW flow event.

Anyone remember the june 1, 2012 severe weather outbreak? if so, what time did it occur? The flow was really weak at 00Z but strenghtened by 12Z.

Tornado watches were out by 2pm on 6/1, then extended at 8pm to go until 2am on 6/2

First thunderstorm warning was issued at 1:50pm and tornado warning was issued at 2:14pm

Started pretty early. Remember eating late breakfast in Amarillo as tor warnings were starting up in NW burbs. That was more of a classic pattern for a tornado event with a strong 500 low passing NE into the SE lakes. This looks more like a NW flow event.

We might be able to sneak in a boundary left over from a MCS complex that begins over the Plains tomorrow evening... at least that is what I am hoping for.  Don't most of our NW flow events have an MCS associated with them?

Thanks. I'm using it in my conference talk. Needed details.

I went to spc for the watch information. Two watches were issued at first before extending both until 2am

Iowa state has a database for warning and storm reports. Google: IEM local storm report app

You put in data/time and it gives you all reports and warnings issues for the time period.

I went to spc for the watch information. Two watches were issued at first before extending both until 2am

Iowa state has a database for warning and storm reports. Google: IEM local storm report app

You put in data/time and it gives you all reports and warnings issues for the time period.

That's pretty cool, thanks for that :)  I will bookmark it

Great sources :)

Nice disco from SPC in their 1300z OTLK regarding poss QLCS/MCS development today and its movement... will be interesting to see what comes of it tonight.  SPC did mention that there could be some severe hail/wind threat near OH/PA/WV border by daybreak tomorrow... isn't that usually good placement for us if we were to have severe storms in afternoon?

Nice disco from SPC in their 1300z OTLK regarding poss QLCS/MCS development today and its movement... will be interesting to see what comes of it tonight.  SPC did mention that there could be some severe hail/wind threat near OH/PA/WV border by daybreak tomorrow... isn't that usually good placement for us if we were to have severe storms in afternoon?

I mentioned something last night in the May obs thread (probably would have been better here) about how the 4km NAM may have been showing similar development. Some of the runs seem to want to affect D.C. down the shoot, but no guarantee of course.

Nice disco from SPC in their 1300z OTLK regarding poss QLCS/MCS development today and its movement... will be interesting to see what comes of it tonight. SPC did mention that there could be some severe hail/wind threat near OH/PA/WV border by daybreak tomorrow... isn't that usually good placement for us if we were to have severe storms in afternoon?

That's earlier than what we'd otherwise consider optimal, and may lead to excess cloud debris. Frankly I hope the MCS dies over OH/WV leaving a boundary to trigger storms later during the day somewhere near Winchester/Hagerstown. The NW flow aloft should be sufficient to bring the action to DC later in the day if we can avoid MCS debris.

00z NAM soundings on Earl Barker at IAD for 21z to 00z tomorrow suggest chance of severe... and maybe a tor or two with 1k SRH near 150 m2/s2and 0-3km SRH near 270 m2/s2

00z GFS looks okay for tomorrow... slightly less robust when compared to the NAM

Archived