northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Snow or Mix to Snow Event Obs February 15th

ChescoWx

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Forgot to post here today - here's a couple of my posts from the NYC forum - we're up to 1.5" new snow for the day and it's 32F.

Intensity let up to light snowfall around 12:20 pm and continues that way (even lighter now). I'm guessing the 3/4" of new snow we got on the colder surfaces (1/4" on my asphalt driveway) is kind of a bonus, since it appears, by radar and obs, that most folks didn't get this moderate band of snow in our area, plus the heavier stuff is supposed to be this afternoon. Middlesex County, new snow capital, lol - hey, at least the NWS added us to the advisory this morning, along with Mercer and Somerset. 33F still, but pretty sure we'll melt that 3/4" in a couple of hours if it stops snowing - just about all of the 3" I got Thursday night was melted by Friday evening, although 40F and sun will do that.

Moderate snow for the last 45 minutes or so has put down another 1/2", bringing us to 1.5" of new snow today. With temps at 32F and the sun angle much lower, snow is accumulating well on paved surfaces now, also - up to about 3/4" on my asphalt driveway. Things looking very nice right now. Those guys at the NWS kind of know what they're doing, lol.

Forgot to post here today - here's a couple of my posts from the NYC forum - we're up to 1.5" new snow for the day and it's 32F.

Really been great snowfall for the past 90 minutes or so. New snowfall today is up to 2", with another 1/2" in the last 35 minutes. Snowing close to heavily, with visibility just beyond 1/4 mile. About 1.25" on all paved surfaces now with temps down to 31F. Radar looking like the 20-25 DBZ band is just about to end for us from the west - not clear if we'll get much more, although the regional composite radar looks like it's still snowing in eastern PA, so maybe we can tack on another inch. Gorgeous out there.

Exactly 1 inch here in Edison…..still snowing moderately

Allsnow - are you measuring on a colder surface, like the existing snow (or an icy spot)? I am and we have 2" of new snow on top of that. We have about 1.25" on paved surfaces - wondering if you're just measuring on a paved/warmer surface that didn't accumulate earlier. I cleared our deck table in the back of all but the bottom layer of ~1" of hard ice, presumably resulting from when rainfall penetrates the snowpack and gathers at the bottom and then freezes solid. This made for a great surface to accumulate snow on and be able to differentiate from when measuring today, as opposed to measuring on top of the existing snowpack.

Allsnow - are you measuring on a colder surface, like the existing snow (or an icy spot)? I am and we have 2" of new snow on top of that. We have about 1.25" on paved surfaces - wondering if you're just measuring on a paved/warmer surface that didn't accumulate earlier. I cleared our deck table in the back of all but the bottom layer of ~1" of hard ice, presumably resulting from when rainfall penetrates the snowpack and gathers at the bottom and then freezes solid. This made for a great surface to accumulate snow on and be able to differentiate from when measuring today, as opposed to measuring on top of the existing snowpack.

Im not measuring off a colder surface because i just got 1.5 on the pavement, so there has to be 2 on the old snow.

Always like to be around ur number as we live so close to each other. Im by the hess station on Amboy Ave. Are you the trained spotter out of Metuchen? Another great call from Mt Holly  

Coming close to the end (other than one last band cutting through central Chesco).

SN-

31.1.F

N wind light

Picked up about 1.25" with that last blast, mostly on the cars and on existing snow pack (the treated street coating has mostly melted now).   I don't think there will be much more unless that other band does a quick burst.

Im not measuring off a colder surface because i just got 1.5 on the pavement, so there has to be 2 on the old snow.

Always like to be around ur number as we live so close to each other. Im by the hess station on Amboy Ave. Are you the trained spotter out of Metuchen? Another great call from Mt Holly

Yep, I check yours also, since it's nice to have some confirmation. I know exactly where you are, then - have had more than a few burgers/beers at the Liberty Tavern and eat often at Ferraro's. We're on Lake Ave in Metuchen, a couple of blocks in from where 27 does that weird jog 90 degrees and then back again, right where Amboy "ends" temporarily - never knew why that road doesn't go through to the other side.

And yes, Mt. Holly has done an awesome job with this storm and most storms, to be fair. I send out weather emails to hundreds of coworkers and about 100 family/friends on winter storms and I almost always quote/link to info from the NWS in Philly and NYC. I don't "forecast" per se - I just synthesize info from the NWS, the media and this board and try to communicate a simplified version to people, with some insights on areas I am expert in (snow growth, mixing, phase changes, chaos/uncertainty - did you see my post on that?) and a little humor - maybe I should post one of them here for a reaction. I trust them over the media, who sometimes will overhype.

Archived